Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 11:53 AM
kindakinks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCboy
Usually if you can't open from either side you got to cut through your door panel with an air saw. ( I know ouch).. But before you resort to that try messing around with your window (raising and lowering), while trying to open the door. That's what I did and I managed to open the door from the inside. Then I kept it open and replaced the clip. Hopefully that'll work out for you, if not I'm sorry. Good luck
This worked for me. Big THANKS! It was my lock that was not engaging to unlock. Started with driver door not opening from outside. Window was down when this happened. Messed with rising and lowering window and , it unlocked the door. Now to work on the door clip.

This forum has saved soooo much money!!!
Old 09-04-09, 01:50 PM
kindakinks
Driver School Candidate

Got the door opening from the outside using your DIY! Only costed me $5.00 for the clip.

Thanks so much!!!
Old 09-05-09, 11:04 AM
XxSC400xX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice writeup! This happened on my passenger side a while ago. Bought a box of 10 clips for each side. Now I'm set for life.
Old 09-19-09, 11:54 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Went ahead and ordered a couple from my local Toyota dealer. They're always damn good with prices. $2.64 is what I think he quoted me. Went ahead and got 2, just in case in another 15 years it happens again.

I know this thread just won't die, just wanted to say thanks for the original write-up!
Old 09-23-09, 03:43 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

If you cant get the door open from inside or out, you can try to use a slim jim to catch that rod and pushing it down (i think). it would be really difficult.

Please let me know if i need to update part numbers on the original post.

Thanks for you appreciation, glad i can help. I try to check this thread from time to time so sorry if I don't get to answering a question, but there's a ton of other competent members here who are just as capable of helping, thankfully.
I would like to thank clublexus and all the other members who have helped me over the years.

Last edited by b1ackhawk; 09-23-09 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-28-09, 09:40 AM
Malcolm
Rookie

Default Fixed rod but cable section is broken

Driver Door - release cable

After following this post -EXCELLENT- to repair the rod, I was assembling the door and now tha relaease cable (plastic clip) is broken. Lexus does not have the cable separate so I am back to square one with an assembly including cables that will cost $381. Does anyone have a part number for the release cable - door handle to door assebly for the drivers side?

Cable is fine but the plastic section that holds it in place is broken.

Malcolm
1992 BLACK SC300 5 Speed - Mint condition
Old 09-28-09, 07:52 PM
labtec
Driver

My rod broke....how do I remove the whole mechanism?? Is it easy?
Old 10-08-09, 07:57 PM
carbophat
Rookie

Thank you!
Old 10-09-09, 05:43 AM
Malcolm
Rookie

Default Problem Solved

Again this post was very helpful. I did take a slightly different approach to fixing the rod that worked very well without having to have a section welded on.
Old 10-11-09, 10:34 PM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by b1ackhawk
If you cant get the door open from inside or out, you can try to use a slim jim to catch that rod and pushing it down (i think). it would be really difficult.
ok so my door wont open from the inside or out and i feel really funny getting in and out of my car from the passenger side door, also its a PITA bc im like 6'1" lol can i remove the door panels and get to the clip without opening the door? and if not where can i get one of these "slim jims"?? thanx
Old 10-12-09, 10:16 AM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

ok forget i got the door panel off without opening the door..now to just fix that stupid rod and clip lol
Old 10-12-09, 01:51 PM
FL1PP3D
Driver

Originally Posted by jjffyy
ok so my door wont open from the inside or out and i feel really funny getting in and out of my car from the passenger side door, also its a PITA bc im like 6'1" lol can i remove the door panels and get to the clip without opening the door? and if not where can i get one of these "slim jims"?? thanx
I'm wondering the same thing. I can't open the door but it seems like removing the panels with the seat in the way would be a pain. Is it possible at all though?
Old 10-12-09, 09:25 PM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FL1PP3D
I'm wondering the same thing. I can't open the door but it seems like removing the panels with the seat in the way would be a pain. Is it possible at all though?
It was a PITA but i did manage to get it done this morning...this is how i did it
-take out the screw behind door lock and handle (you got to remove the plastic piece first to get to the screw)

- take out the two screws underneath the arm rest

- now it gets tricky, you gotta pull the door panel as far back so that you can get to the door internals (this part hurt me the most cuz i was scared of tearing my panel in half lol)

- now reach your arm to the door lock mechanism, feel for the rod and push down- this should get your door open.

good luck with your door hope all goes well
Old 10-13-09, 07:07 AM
carbophat
Rookie

Ok, well I did this yesterday and it worked fine. Used the door quit a lot yesterday. Go to get in it this morning and it pops off again.. What gives?
Old 10-13-09, 11:28 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by carbophat
Ok, well I did this yesterday and it worked fine. Used the door quit a lot yesterday. Go to get in it this morning and it pops off again.. What gives?
Dude, I was so sick of the clips popping off like that, I just ditched the clip, put the rod in the hole, and put a zip tie at the end of the rod and zip tied it tightly. this has been holding up for me for a while now. Cost about.....$0.02

Quick Reply: So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics