Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 11:38 AM
snowfox444
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a good picture of the rod that's SUPPOSED to be inside the door? my passenger door is missing it entirely when I tried fixing the handle a year or 2 ago. Is it possible to "rig" a coat hanger or other fabrication just to make it work? I dont have 400$ for the lock assembly from the Lexus dealership. (there are no junk yards in the area with my car)
Old 06-11-12, 06:08 AM
phermes1
Driver School Candidate

You might be able to fix it with a self-made rod, but unless you're good at it and do it perfect, I suspect you’ll just end up creating something that you’ll have to go back in and keep fixing. If the rod isn’t lined up just right, it’s going to get stressed every time you open the door, and it won’t take long before it snaps again. Been there. In the long run, you’d be better off just replacing the assembly.

Search Ebay for one. I one for about $110, and there were several for sale. You might be able to find one cheaper, but that's the best I found when I was in need, which was only about 6 weeks ago.
You do NOT need the painted door handle assembly; you only need the locking assembly that actually keeps the door closed.
Old 06-13-12, 01:29 PM
SCleeper
Driver School Candidate

Like a few others, I had my window down when the problem occurred and didn't know it till the damage was done. My door is shut and won't open from either handle and I'm not sure how to get it open. I tried the window trick while pulling on the handle (apparently I didn't pray enough while doing it), and someone said to take the screw behind the handle out as well as the arm rest screws and shove your hand down in there, but I don't see anywhere where you can access the inside of the door from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've got black interior, so I'd hate to ruin it by having to cut...
Old 07-14-12, 10:33 AM
muttduck
Driver School Candidate

I have a 92 sc400. My driver side door "snap" clip broke. 1 reply said number 69293-12040 but i look it up and my model number is not in the list.
Does anyone know were i can get one. Lexus dealer wont sell me the "snap" I have to by the handle to get the "snap".
Old 07-14-12, 08:02 PM
muttduck
Driver School Candidate

Default a temp fix to the problem

I dont know how long it will last. but i open and shut the door 15 times with no problem.

I used a 5/64"x1-9/16" hair pin. I put the rod threw the hole of the handle and put the pin over the notch of the rod.

I will post if it ever breaks again. But I still would like to find a back up snap for it.
Old 07-15-12, 05:51 AM
5spd97
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Muttduck, you can get the clip from a Toyota dealer for less than $5. The clips for the left and right doors are different so you'll need to have the right number which you can find by searching this forum.
Old 08-09-12, 10:23 PM
trojansfan
Driver School Candidate

Great thread. Did this today and took about hour and half (spent a good half hour trying to ram rod + clip into the hole to no avail).

As others have stated (and I should have checked before doing it), put clip into hole first then insert the rod. Much much easier.

Spent under $4 at the local yota dealership for the pat.
Old 10-24-12, 01:12 PM
Lexusdad
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advice to anyone who can't find their rod, or believe it has disappeared......pull the front speaker and feel around. That's where I found mine. The fork part is broken, but the rod had worked it's way up to the front of the door. Hope this helps.

Jim
Old 10-24-12, 02:31 PM
sc400ka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexusdad
Advice to anyone who can't find their rod, or believe it has disappeared......pull the front speaker and feel around. That's where I found mine. The fork part is broken, but the rod had worked it's way up to the front of the door. Hope this helps.

Jim
yes, im not the only one that lost it here! also i made clip out of a zip tie lol
Old 10-28-12, 10:05 AM
HotepMaat
Driver School Candidate

Default Passenger side door DIY

Much respect to my new Lexus Family for the info, just bought a salvaged 1995 SC400 and the passenger side door wont open from the outside inside only til last nite when my boy broke the inside door handle.
Im going to order the parts so i can use the passenger side door

Thanks,

Hotep.
Old 11-07-12, 07:53 PM
HotepMaat
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, im dealing with this issue right now, I finally had a guy take the panel off now its sittin on the passenger seat.
Old 11-07-12, 07:55 PM
HotepMaat
Driver School Candidate

Dang! All I want is for my window to roll up smoothly and for me to be able to open my passenger side dor from the inside and the outside.
Old 11-08-12, 05:45 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Check the DYI link in my sig.
Old 11-22-12, 03:33 PM
HotepMaat
Driver School Candidate

Default Interior window/door wont work

Okay, I took my 95'SC400 to my repair guy shop to repair my pass.exterior door to open.

He took off the panel saw that the little piece was off, went to his tool drawer got the piece (snap connector) hooked it up in 5 minutes exterior door opens from the outside but still not from the inside and the window wont roll down now, help whats the next step?

Hes talking about $80 to take the metal panel off like 4 bolts.
Old 11-22-12, 04:23 PM
HotepMaat
Driver School Candidate

Default Windshield fogs up

When i have my heater *** off in the morning on my way to work my windshield doesn't fog up.

When it gets cold outside i want a little heat inside so as soon as i turn the **** to the right the

windshield starts to fog up from the bottom up, then i have to turn my heater AC on waste gas

yadda yadda yadda whats the problem and how/what can i do to fix this problem?

Quick Reply: So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics