Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics

Old 01-14-12, 07:22 AM
cheddarSC4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just did this fix on my passenger door. now i need to do the driver inside handle so i dont have to roll my window down to get out of the car..i feel ghetto when people see me do it
Old 01-17-12, 09:22 AM
cynbird
Driver School Candidate

lol, that ghetto comment made me laugh!

Well, the zip tie broke after a few days, but guess it's a good quick fix until the part comes in... luckily my rod wasn't bent so I don't need the full assembly, just the $2 clip.. Probably order an extra one just in case!
Old 01-17-12, 04:24 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cheddarSC4
just did this fix on my passenger door. now i need to do the driver inside handle so i dont have to roll my window down to get out of the car..i feel ghetto when people see me do it
Cheddar, what fix did you do? I thought this thread was about fixing a door when the inside works, but the outside doesn't. It sounds like you're describing the opposite thing ---- which happens to be the same ghetto way I open my driver's door.
Old 01-23-12, 08:01 AM
cynbird
Driver School Candidate

Went back in and the zip tie was actually fine. It's my locking mechanism I guess. Sometimes it will unlock just fine, and sometimes the lock seems to stick. I wonder if it was just frozen or something, as it seems to work better now that the weather has warmed up...
Old 01-23-12, 08:08 AM
lexiSC4
Driver

Would this be the same thing that needs to be fixed it my outside works fine but inside doesnt??
Old 02-14-12, 08:31 AM
FurySC400
Rookie

Awesome DIY thread. My outside passenger door handle broke last week, so I feared the worst. Luckily, I came across this thread on the weekend and the culprit turned out to be the busted clip.

When looking locally for the clip yesterday, I found my closeby Toyota dealership had it for $3.05. Just out of curiosity, i checked with the local Lexus dealership and found they sold the same thing for almost $5, and didn't even have it in stock.
Old 03-09-12, 11:33 PM
scott101
Pole Position

thanks for this thread. im going to do this in the next week. my passenger door handle doesnt work unless you open it from the outside with the key turned
Old 03-19-12, 11:14 AM
kmbishop11
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info! Just purchased my SC with the door panel in the trunk, broken into 4 pieces, a shame, however I believe this to b the problem with my passenger door, originally. Fixing to get to work on her, hopefully my rod's not broken, we shall see...
Old 04-21-12, 12:05 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Local Lexus dealer wanted $6 and needed to order it. Local Toyota dealer had it in stock for $4 and I paid $2 cuz I work at a dealership who does business with them
Old 05-08-12, 08:04 PM
Luke95SC3
Driver School Candidate

Anybody have specs on the Rod? Mine was missing when I purchased the car. Need to know lengths and approximate angles if possible. Thanks
Old 05-25-12, 05:28 PM
bank
Driver

I got the clip from a Toyota dealer for about $3 and finally got around to taking off my door panel but couldn't find the rod?? Here's a picture.. I'm guessing the previous owner took it off? Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics-imag0396.jpg  
Old 05-28-12, 04:43 AM
Luke95SC3
Driver School Candidate

Mine's exactly the same, I have gotten the steal rid from Lowes but I cannot find any steal plates that are 1/16 - 3/32. The closest I can find is 1/8. Guess I'm going try that soon.
Old 05-29-12, 11:27 AM
cynbird
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Originally Posted by bank
I got the clip from a Toyota dealer for about $3 and finally got around to taking off my door panel but couldn't find the rod?? Here's a picture.. I'm guessing the previous owner took it off? Any ideas?
I think that's the rod in the pic that looks like it has the orange thing on the top - it's pretty short. Can't tell what the orange thing is attached to, but it's the silver wire you see in your pic, coming out of the plastic housing there. I was able to zip tie mine to the top piece temporarily and was surprised at how short it was. It's hard to get to, and helpful if you have a second person to hold a flashlight for you...
Old 05-30-12, 11:59 PM
bank
Driver

Originally Posted by cynbird
I think that's the rod in the pic that looks like it has the orange thing on the top - it's pretty short. Can't tell what the orange thing is attached to, but it's the silver wire you see in your pic, coming out of the plastic housing there. I was able to zip tie mine to the top piece temporarily and was surprised at how short it was. It's hard to get to, and helpful if you have a second person to hold a flashlight for you...
I don't think that one's it because in the pictures in posts #49-53 there is another rod that's supposed to be there. The one with the orange thing on the end is already attached to something else.
Old 05-31-12, 10:32 AM
Low00SC
Driver School Candidate

awesome write up im sure i will be needing this sometime since it is such a common problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics