Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-11, 09:38 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice DIY! This happened to me about a year and a half ago, such a PITA for such a tiny little part... oh and that clip cost $9+and change. Thanks, Toyota. Really wish this thread was around back then, lol.
Old 04-15-11, 06:29 PM
Str8sikk
Driver

So I just ordered from northland fastners for the clips.....and i ordered driver door and passenger door just incase either break again. cool thing is took 2 days to get, and I got 3 per door...yes and they are only 6.30 cents per bag how awesome is that. so now I have two extra for each door. here is the link http://northlandfasteners.biz/Store/...o=&dfrom=&dto=

part numbers N20469-70
Attached Thumbnails So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics-imag0140.jpg  
Old 04-15-11, 06:44 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I had to buy ten of them for like $10 lol, they wont be here until Wed. D'oh

Looks so ghetto to see a car so nice having to be opened from the Passenger side area
Old 04-16-11, 01:53 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Wow man, that's a GREAT find, thanks for posting it! Yeah, like TechGreek, I too had to buy the OEM part from Lexus for $9.xx. The guy laughed at me... literally chuckled right in my face.
Old 05-17-11, 01:42 PM
lex4bink
Driver School Candidate

Default Got Lucky!

I think I just got plain lucky. I broke my snap connector a few days back and tried getting the replacement from the local Toyota dealer. I had to wait two days since the part was out of stock and I had to get it ordered. In the mean time I drove the car and also rolled down my window a few times in between. It sounded wierd but I did not think it would be related in anyway to the door problem. Then I happened to read this forum and it gave me a shock! I thought I would have snapped the rod and would have to shell out 300 bucks to get the entire assembly as opposed to the $3.07 for which I got the snap connector. However everything turned out just fine as the rod was not even bent. Lucky me, I guess! So there is hope for all those folks in case you have unknowingly rolled down your window. At the same time it is always good to be safe than sorry - so never risk it!
Old 06-02-11, 11:22 PM
surfsunset
Driver School Candidate

I was able to reconnect the rod to the hole, but my issue is - on some hard to medium pulls of the handle, the plastic peice and rod are popping out of the hole.

Any suggestions on how to keep it from popping out?

thanks.
Old 06-03-11, 12:53 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Get a new plastic clip from Lexus. They're like nine bucks and change (effin expensive for what it is). If that doesn't work, that rod is probably bent; try to find one off a wreck and replace it. Hope that helps!!
Old 06-04-11, 11:34 AM
surfsunset
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for advice. Yea, I got the plastic peice folks are talking about - I meant to say that both the rod and plastic peice are popping out of the hole.

Need suggestions on how to keep it in. I do beleive the rod is bent - can i only use a rod from an SC? or are there others maybe from a Toyo.
Old 06-04-11, 12:01 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, I dunno then man. That rod is probably exclusively for the SC, but who knows. Like I said, check out the junk yards. That's a part that not a lot of people are looking for or need/want, so I'm sure there's lots of them out there.
Old 06-18-11, 09:34 AM
1uzfe4147
Driver

I have this issue except how can i take off my door panel when my door is locked shut?
Old 06-18-11, 10:34 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

LOL, you should be able to open it from the inside.
Old 07-13-11, 01:52 PM
rmsc400
Rookie

So, i just noticed that i bought the clip that was for Passenger side,

and my driver side was the problem.

does it matter which side clip i use?
Old 07-13-11, 03:34 PM
boost2pt4
Rookie

Mine wont open from the inside.
Old 07-13-11, 05:51 PM
rmsc400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Str8sikk
So I just ordered from northland fastners for the clips.....and i ordered driver door and passenger door just incase either break again. cool thing is took 2 days to get, and I got 3 per door...yes and they are only 6.30 cents per bag how awesome is that. so now I have two extra for each door. here is the link http://northlandfasteners.biz/Store/...o=&dfrom=&dto=

part numbers N20469-70
where does the yellow one go??
Old 10-25-11, 01:15 PM
Josh400
Driver

Hello, I know this DIY is for outside door handle but my door handle has stop working inside..I'll try my best to explain.. Woke up next morning to hit the gym and I couldn't get into the car from the outside. I tried opening it from the inside and still didn't work. So I had no choice but to cut my door panel. I notice the 1st rod that's connected to the inside door handle lock had fell. Iooks like it's missing a clip. The 2nd rod that's connected to the inside door handle is still intact. I manage to pull that rod and got the door to open. Now I can open my door from the outside but not the inside.. And my door won't fully close but does latch. I pulled my passenger door panel to get an idea what am I missing from the drivers side. I notice the 1st rod is going through a white clip then it's connected to inside door lock. That is what I'm missing for the driver side. I don't know what's the part is called. Can anybody tell me what's that part called please?? Any help would be awesome thanks for reading

Quick Reply: So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics