Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 03:51 PM
MrGetRT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the trim around the door? it's really brittle and somtimes it cracks. is there any posts with information on how to fix that?
Old 02-21-10, 01:01 PM
DOHCZ34
Rookie

Ok. Both my inside and outside door handles don't work.

I've got the door panel pulled away from the door enough to get access to everything. What do I need to push/pull on to get the door open? Is there even a way to manually open it from here?

My top plastic clip is fine, so i'm assuming it's just the actuator that is broken/malfunctioning.

HELP!!!
Old 02-21-10, 03:03 PM
DvSiR
Lead Lap

you have to push that fork down into the cylinder with the release mechanism. If you can manage to do that, it will push down and release and you should be able to push the door open from the inside.
Old 02-21-10, 03:27 PM
DOHCZ34
Rookie

Originally Posted by DvSiR
you have to push that fork down into the cylinder with the release mechanism. If you can manage to do that, it will push down and release and you should be able to push the door open from the inside.
When I do that, nothing happens
Old 02-21-10, 07:39 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

first make sure its unlock, im not sure what color the plastic piece over it but there should be 2 metal lines,

One of them you either pull or push i forgot. my ziptie is still holding up!
Old 02-22-10, 05:10 PM
MrGetRT
Driver School Candidate

I've got a 99 and my car got broken into a while ago. hav'nt spent the time to replace the incorrectly installed window, fix the broken inner door molding and purchase this clip. will post results.
Old 03-02-10, 08:49 PM
BigD026
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have one for sale? I was going to buy one from the link on the first page, but they want three of them and shipping is $7bucks? wtf?
Anyways... I'm in need of one if anyone wants to throw one in the mail to me for a few bucks.
MemphisDave
Old 03-06-10, 01:22 PM
rw3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The rod that needs to be reconnected is no where to be found in my door....I guess I have to get a new acuator?
Old 03-06-10, 04:00 PM
5spd97
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread; saved me a bucket of cusswords. I haven't fixed the problem yet but I took the panel off, inspected everything, straightened the bent rod and tried an aftermarket clip, which didn't hold. I'll get the right clip and take another swing at it. I also disconnected the window switch before I reassembled the door so that no one will bend the rod again. I had a little trouble finding the last bolt on the door panel (behind the interior door handle) and the wire connectors pissed me off, but overall it was Betty Crocker.
Old 03-09-10, 06:23 PM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

if the rod breaks does he whole locking system has to be replaced?
Old 03-10-10, 12:54 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BigD026
Anyone have one for sale? I was going to buy one from the link on the first page, but they want three of them and shipping is $7bucks? wtf?
Anyways... I'm in need of one if anyone wants to throw one in the mail to me for a few bucks.
MemphisDave
The toyota dealers usually stock these, and you can get it NOW!
Old 04-05-10, 02:08 PM
snowfox444
Driver

Default !!!!!!!!!!!!

ummm.. what if the inside handle as well as the exterior handle doesnt open the door??
Old 04-05-10, 02:18 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

no need to replace the whole assembly just use ziptie. if you can open from the inside AND outside.

Remove the bolt thats behind the door handle and try to shove a screwdriver between the door panel and try to get one of the lines and rehook it up to the door or pull on it till you can open the door.

if it doesnt work air saw is your best friend.
Old 04-05-10, 02:41 PM
snowfox444
Driver

I cant open the passenger door at all! first i heard a "pop" one day when trying to pen from the outside, then one day a friend freaked out and yanked on the inside handle while leaving from a bar while the door handle was locked and now it wont open from the inside as well.

im scared to break the paneling! im not mechanically inclined by no means.. ive learned a few things from owning a 93 camry, like changing an altinator, but I haven't the slightest clue what bolt you are talking about to get the door open? its gonna cost me 80$ for a garage just to get the paneling off to look at it.. not to mention whatever it takes for time and parts to replace whats wrong.. and the window is not going down all the way like mentioned by someone else.. so i assume the rod is in the way and probably bent..
Old 04-05-10, 04:20 PM
queenskid9
Rookie

wow this i found this thread rite in time, my pass side doesnt work, my door panels are off already since my interior is being converted to black so why not fix this,

My questions is also my window doesnt roll down all the way, how does this affect the window?

Quick Reply: So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics