Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Who can figure out why my SC400 is idling at 1,500 RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-06, 04:30 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Who can figure out why my SC400 is idling at 1,500 RPM?

I'll say that this thread was written for a more, erm, 'raunchy' forum (OLT knows what I'm talking about) so there's a bit more language than CL censors allow

*This is worth the read. I'm putting my e-neck on the line here.*

Wow, tonight scared the **** out of me.

I came home from school early because this is exams week. I took advantage of the gorgeous weather we're having here and decided to rid my car's exterior of winter's wrath. Wash, clay, Pinnacle ASMR, AIO, 4* UPP. Gorgeous. Tires got VRT. Looks magnificent; even, dare I say it, spectacular.

I wiped down my dash, vacuumed the seats/ mats, put the mats back in. conditioned the leather, etc... Nice and clean inside.

Then I take her for my usual after-cleaning run around the neighborhood. Uh-****ing-Oh.

I start the car and she's idling at 1,500. Normally she stays at about 6-700. I think, hmm... I'll drive slow and see if I can figure something out. The car seems quicker from a start from normal, due to the higher revs. I can't figure out why it's revving so high. I come to a slow stop and I can feel the motor revving. ****. I continue on my way, and come to a stop sign. I hold the brakes hard, and the car lunges forward.

So I come home and back into my driveway, thinking how much Lexus is going to charge me to fix whatever this problem is. I did nothing to the car that would have affected it... Never got the motor wet or did anything to the brakes. As I'm backing in, I hold the brakes hard again. The car tries to jump backwards.

After carefully getting the car back in it's hole, I kill the motor. Start it again and it's still got a 1,500 RPM idle. I turned off the A/C, and it dropped to like 1,400 RPM- still double the norm.

Put the car in park, kill it, and get ready to get out. As I'm getting out, I noticed that I laid my driver's floor mat over my gas pedal, but under the brake. No ****ing wonder the brakes are making the car lunge; they're pulling the mat over the gas. The mat is pushing the pedal down some, plus more when I went to accelerate. I should have noticed a different feel the in gas pedal, but this was the first time I had driven in my Birkenstocks and attributed the different feel to the wide sandal and different fit from my tennis shoes.

Total self ownage

Cliffs: I feel like a total dumbass.
Old 01-24-06, 04:52 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL - that's hilarious. At least you're man enough to admit it. Nice to know this stuff happens to others as well.
Old 01-24-06, 04:58 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by Nomis
LOL - that's hilarious. At least you're man enough to admit it. Nice to know this stuff happens to others as well.
Eh, if you can't laugh at yourself, you can't expect anyone else to laugh with you.

So you've done this too, eh?
Old 01-24-06, 05:17 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

i admit that happening to me too, damn floormats! before i finished reading i was gonna say the exact same thing
Old 01-24-06, 06:49 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Are we sure this should be in the Engine/Transmission section?
Old 01-24-06, 07:03 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lol, awesome

i wasn't expecting that
Old 01-24-06, 08:56 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by ConSynX
lol, awesome

i wasn't expecting that
Well, at the time it wasn't awesome. I could feel my checking account being drained when I thought about parts and labor to fix this old girl.

I'll just have to be more careful when I put my mats back in
Old 01-26-06, 12:00 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Ahahah!

So I was driving to school this beautiful morining and I come to a stop light. As I brake I realize that my revs are getting higher. When I come to a complete stop I too realize that it has gone up to 1500rpm. When I got home I checked it and it was my carpet over the pedal too!
Old 01-26-06, 01:06 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Been there done that.. floormats came out 5mins later to never be put in the car again