Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cant Start SC with clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 06:40 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant Start SC with clutch!

I just finished my Auto to 5Speed conversion this past weekend. I did run into a couple problems and a couple things that made me think..

First let me say this..I am currently running on my automatic transmission's complete driveshaft on my 5speed transmission! I dont know how, I dont know why.. . This is one huge mystery. For some reason my 5speed one did not fit. It ended up being shorter by about 4 inches.

Well anyway lets get on point here. After installing everything I realized I couldnt get the car to start. I know there is a sensor that is mounted on the clutch pedal that lets you start the car when the clutch is applied. I have that sensor but I cannot find a plug for it. Should I find some wires and make my own? Im currently starting it by putting the key in the ignition and leaving it turned, then I tap two wires I rigged up that trigger the starter then separating them once the car is started. I dont want to do this anymore. A couple people had recommended that I just get a push start button but thats not really my thing.

Is there anyway I can get my car started using the clutch pedal?
Old 01-24-06, 12:01 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

So nobody knows?
Old 01-24-06, 12:51 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the swap man On my 5-speed I know the little sensor is underneath the clutch pedal and it pushed in when I push in the clutch all the way. I dont know if you would need this sensor, or hell maybe even the whole 5-speed ECU. Honestly, the push button start would be the best idea
Old 01-24-06, 01:31 PM
nasc300
Lead Lap

The car was auto so I think you need to locate the "park" switch and bypass it
Old 01-24-06, 02:36 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nasc300
The car was auto so I think you need to locate the "park" switch and bypass it
Yeah Ive searched for it but I cant find it. How do I bypass it and make my car start with the clutch?
Old 01-24-06, 02:40 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
Congrats on the swap man On my 5-speed I know the little sensor is underneath the clutch pedal and it pushed in when I push in the clutch all the way. I dont know if you would need this sensor, or hell maybe even the whole 5-speed ECU. Honestly, the push button start would be the best idea
Yeah I could live without that sensor but I want to use it. It just seems more proper. I already have that sensor but I cant figure out how to wire and hook that thing up. . Its a real headache. This is why I hate electrical. I do have a wiring diagram for the SC but I cant figure out how to do it still. I was told that using the 5speed ECU would solve that problem but apperently it didnt. Any help would be really appreciated.
Old 01-24-06, 04:21 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

I doubt that lexus made the interior harness different (though they might have....I know BMW does) so the plug should be tucked away in there somewhere. If not, just run wires going from the switch to the ECU. Also the reason the driveshaft is different is because the diff housing is shorter on the auto cars (if Im not mistaken).
Old 01-24-06, 04:23 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

when i converted a car from auto to manual, a trans am.. i had to leave the shift selector switch in the console wired, and leave it in the park position. It make for a great security device.
Old 01-24-06, 05:38 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
when i converted a car from auto to manual, a trans am.. i had to leave the shift selector switch in the console wired, and leave it in the park position. It make for a great security device.
So you think I should go back to the automatic shifter and look for a switch and leave it in park while plugged in?
Old 01-24-06, 05:39 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 95 Integra
I doubt that lexus made the interior harness different (though they might have....I know BMW does) so the plug should be tucked away in there somewhere. If not, just run wires going from the switch to the ECU. Also the reason the driveshaft is different is because the diff housing is shorter on the auto cars (if Im not mistaken).
Are you 100% sure about that?
Old 01-24-06, 09:25 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

No, Im not 100%. That plus Im not even sure about the auto shift selector crap (though I would probably jumper or ground the wire if needed).
Old 01-24-06, 10:04 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

hmm..this is turning out to be harder than I thought. Hopefully something will turn up. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 01-24-06, 10:16 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

What ECU are you running? What did you do with the auto shift selector? The plug that came out of it for the "park" switch? This small wiring task should be very simple to do with a volt meter and wiring diagram.
Old 01-25-06, 07:35 PM
jayzsun
Rookie

what year is your car and what year did your manual trans come out of?
Old 01-25-06, 07:53 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 95 Integra
What ECU are you running? What did you do with the auto shift selector? The plug that came out of it for the "park" switch? This small wiring task should be very simple to do with a volt meter and wiring diagram.
I still have it. I was actually playing with it today because I remember my friend telling me about it. I hooked it up and put it in park and still no start. I put it in neutral and no start. I put it in drive and I couldnt take my key out of the ignition so I guess it was doing its job. Im currently running on the M/T ECU.

Quick Reply: Cant Start SC with clutch!