Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need both rear tires to spin.......

Old 01-21-06, 06:57 PM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need both rear tires to spin.......

I don't know too much about the mechanics on a SC400 but I am learning. Anyway, I noticed in my 1993 SC400 as I was mashing out on a turn,,,,, only one rear tire was spinning out. My question is ,,,,,Is there a way to make both tires spin out instead of one. I talked to a few co-workers and they said that i needed positive traction and that i have a limited slip. Please help.
Old 01-21-06, 07:29 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

YOu need an "LSD" limited slip differential.

Theres plenty of informmaiton on this site just search on it.
Old 01-22-06, 11:27 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Get the TRD rear differential, or wait on Daveh's clutch type LSD he's developing.

You can also go on ebay to see if there are any Supra TT LSD's floating around.
Old 01-22-06, 04:38 PM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

thanx for the good news.
Old 01-23-06, 08:37 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpCreas
I don't know too much about the mechanics on a SC400 but I am learning. Anyway, I noticed in my 1993 SC400 as I was mashing out on a turn,,,,, only one rear tire was spinning out. My question is ,,,,,Is there a way to make both tires spin out instead of one. I talked to a few co-workers and they said that i needed positive traction and that i have a limited slip. Please help.

First thing you need to do is go tell your co-workers that they need to learn more about mechanics!

Posi-Traction was a "marketing name" for the limited slip differential for cars dating back to the 60's and 70's. (I forget what year it was first used, but I believe Chevrolet coined that particular phrase)

You have an open differential.
Old 01-23-06, 09:48 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you want more info on LSDs, or differentials in general go here: www.howstuffworks.com
Old 01-25-06, 09:12 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

You need a Limited Slip differential from a Supra. Most TT supras have LSD and some N/A's do. You need one from an automatic car. You buy the whole pumpkin so you don't have to fiddle up setting up the internals. It's a bolt in operation with exception of unbolting the front flange and swapping it for the one on the stock diff. Best mod I've done so far.
Old 01-25-06, 12:21 PM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

How much will it cost me for parts and install for a LSD?
Old 01-25-06, 01:34 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

$400-500 for a DIY guy replacing the entire pumpkin with one from an Auto Supra.

But that depends if you want to do the install yourself... I don't know how much labor would be to install a pumpkin 100-200 bucks?? I did mine in the driveway.

I had to buy a special large sized allen wrench from sears for about 10-15 bucks.
And you'll need to take the flange off with a 1 3/8 inch socket that is thin walled enough to get inside the flange to remove the pinion nut. Easiest to have a shop do that part.

Other than that it's a very straight forward install for someone who is mechanically inclined.

I got my diff for 400 bucks off supraforums out of a 96 TT auto.
I replaced my driveshaft bushing which was 150 from Lexus... It's not 100% necessary but depending upon condition it would be a good time to do that also. It eliminated the sluggishness in take off I had previous to replacement as my bushing was cracked up a bit.

I do not know what it costs to have the stock rear disassembled and just a diff installed inside it. But i'm guessing waaay more. This is the best option if you have money to burn. I'd love a brand new KAAZ 2 way diff but i think they're 2000 just for the diff and then installation. I don't own a race car but I am an enthusiast and I like to put the car sideways.

There are at least 3 different gear ratios available from Supras so do your research to findout which one you want. I suggest you use the search key, there's tons of info buried in this site you just have to know how to find it. That's all the "free" information you're getting out of me.
Old 01-27-06, 10:08 PM
STRONG SC
Lead Lap

I found a TT LSD pumpkin only, does the output shafts line up? Is it a direct drop into my NA w58 pumpkin? How bad is the ratio difference? Can I just run my NA final drive gear?
Old 01-28-06, 09:15 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

w58 is a 5 speed correct? You'll have to find out the ratios which can be done with the search key. You can get the numbers off the TT diff and call toyota and ask the guys in parts to run the numbers or again search.

The only difference is between a supra 6 speed and supra auto. The 6 speed diff is a larger beefyer unit, more cooling fins, and requires the use of supra driveshaft and one or two of the axles..

The GS400, LS400, SC300 and SC400 are all the same regardless if manual or auto. Toyota guys call it the N/A diff most times. The supra auto diff is the same with the exception of the pinion flange.