Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Bad Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 07:21 PM
scoarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Head Gasket

I recently found out that my car has a bad head gasket, not blown, just leaky. The radiator shop put in a sealant that consisted of copper and metals to seal up the leaks n theegine cooling system and she's driving a whole lot better. Im just wondering tho, would it be bad to drive it hard with a bad HG, for example autox/drifting..? Or should i just go ahead and go through with the labor intensive job of replacing the HG to be safe.
Old 01-17-06, 07:38 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

do the head gasket job, that stuff may seal for a while but sooner or later its gonna go.
Old 01-17-06, 09:11 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Just a quick question..About how much would it cost to get your Head Gasket replaced? I know its time and labor consuming and you have to get the head resurfaced and all. But I was just wondering. I think my rising temp is telling me I need a new one soon.
Old 01-18-06, 03:54 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

I am pretty sure that you dont neccessarily have to resurface the head or the block unelss the car has overheated and some warping has occured.

I couldnt say for sure what a job on your Soarer would cost but I have seen pricing in general for cars starting at 500 and going up to 1500.
Old 01-18-06, 08:56 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been told, you'd be better off just droppin in a used engine...money wise.
Old 01-18-06, 10:02 AM
scoarer
Pole Position

i will be swapping a 1jzte or 2jzte but not until i get some funds which will be in the summer. Thats the only reason why i want to keep pushing the stocked motor, but at the same time i don't want it blowing up on me..anyone still driving around with a bad HG and for how long?
Old 01-18-06, 11:04 AM
codetoad
Lead Lap

If you're inclined to do a headgasket swap yourself (which really isnt too bad if you have experience) then its cheap - and you can replace all the gaskets and seals on the head while you're at it. It can be done in a day easily - Considering you have not warped the cylinder head from overheating. Paying a shop to do it is not worth it IMO.

BTW there is no such thing as a 'bad' headgasket If it was bad, then you could spank it and it would be better . If it's leaking and burning off coolant internally at all, then its blown - its just not as severe as it could be yet. It will eventually get worse - and you will start noticing performance deteriorate, or it could start blowing white smoke out the tailpipe as your coolant burns of rapidly in the cylinder, and then overheat and possibly warp the cylinder head if you let the coolant level get low. This is especially true if you are driving the car hard. I would not drive the car hard at all unless you really don't care about being stranded.

Last edited by codetoad; 01-18-06 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-20-06, 03:15 PM
scoarer
Pole Position

looks like the 1j swap is coming sooner than i planned it to be . Can any of u local Socal boys refer me to a local shop that will do a decent swap or sell decent motors? If I had time and someone to do the electrical part of the swap I would do it myself, but time will not allow...