ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Performance & Maintenance (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance-33/)
-   -   which turbo route? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/192356-which-turbo-route.html)

cheebs 12-19-05 05:38 PM

which turbo route?

the question i have is of the three options to turbo the sc300 2jz-gte or 1jz-gte or just turbo the 2jz-ge which one is the easist to do ? which is the cheapest and which is the most reliable?. i know that this will get different anwsers but i have searhed and got alot of info but its so much that i need a condensed anwser. i want to keep my auto and i'm only looking for 250-300 hp. just something to make driving interesting. :woohoo:

Aristo300 12-19-05 05:44 PM

1JZ-GTE is without a doubt the most inexpensive of the trio. And you have low power goals......... :thumbup:

cheebs 12-19-05 06:14 PM

why do you think the power goals are low ? if rwhp is only about 170-180

cheebs 12-19-05 06:19 PM

i need cost too round about :p

Aristo300 12-19-05 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by cheebs
why do you think the power goals are low ? if rwhp is only about 170-180

I was commenting that your power goals aren't high and that the 1JZ-GTE would get you to your goal without a problem.

dejacky 12-19-05 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by cheebs
the question i have is of the three options to turbo the sc300 2jz-gte or 1jz-gte or just turbo the 2jz-ge which one is the easist to do ? which is the cheapest and which is the most reliable?. i know that this will get different anwsers but i have searhed and got alot of info but its so much that i need a condensed anwser. i want to keep my auto and i'm only looking for 250-300 hp. just something to make driving interesting. :woohoo:

They can all be good options, but it depends on how much "out of pocket expense" you're willing to endure. Will you be doing the labor yourself, with friends, or paying a shop to do it? Also, what is your budget?

cheebs 12-19-05 07:08 PM

i dont have a budget yet . i will mostly likely looking for some one or shop to do it. i am too new to florida and dont know anyone to help yet. i dont want to buy cheap but i'm looking to get an idea on what i will be spending. i am handy but am coming for working on bmw's self taught because of the cost of labor on bmw's(simple brake job 500 bucks :mad: _). so i will be learning lexus but i dont think this is where i should start. by it would be good to be able to help to start the learning curve :D

SimplyZBes 12-19-05 07:20 PM

Response

If it were up to me, there would be only two choices: NA-T or GTE. With the NA-T, you can always get a boost logic kit, I think they would run like $4,000. Don't quote me on it. The GTE to me is simpler because all you have to do is drop it in and wire it up. If you go JDM GTE, it will cost almost the price of a kit uninstalled but at least you will not have to worry about doing a head gasket or worry if your tranny will hold X amount of horsepower. 1JZ is still a mystery to me because I got rid of my swap before I even tried it. The swaps are relatively cheap but I don't know much about them. :thumbup: