Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

obd1 code scanner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-05, 08:31 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd1 code scanner?

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to go to either purchase an OBD1 code scanner at a reasonable price? or let me know if any PepBoy , autozone type shops can check OBD1codes ? Or perhaps a good thread they can point me to?
I know there has to be threads relating to this topic, but for some reason im not using the right keywords perhaps?
The few threads i have found say no shops are able to check the OBD1 except for Lexus dealers. Wich doesnt sound right to me? I really dread having to fork over $ 200 for them to do a 5 min scan on my car if i dont need to, I mean this is what i bought the shop manuals for.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-17-05, 08:34 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

BTW my car is a 93 SC300 auto , pretty much stock 2gze
Old 12-17-05, 09:16 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/

Enjoy.

~Alan
Old 12-19-05, 12:05 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe
Hey thanks for the link Alan . I will give it a try in the next couple days, and let you know what i find.
I am curious though , Is that how the OBD1's were originally designed to be checked? Or just an alternative in case a scanner isnt available?
Old 12-20-05, 09:16 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I think there is an actual OBD-1 scanner, but it's absolutely useless. It does the exact same thing you can do without it.

Cheers,
~Alan
Old 01-19-06, 04:53 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Thanks Sportscoupe for the help.
Well i finally did as Sportscoupe suggested. What I came up with was code 53- Knock Circuit .
I looked that code up in the FSM . And it says to replace the ECM.
BTW My original problem was(Is) with the overdrive blinking intermittently. And the car not wanting to shift into 3rd gear.
I know this seems to be a common occurance on our cars as well as Supras, Does this seem to be the code everyone is throwing with this problem? or ?
I was searching on supraforums and It seemed to me that it was actually a wiring problem associated with the connections in the dash guages , at least on the supras.
Does anyone have any other thoughts?
Old 01-20-06, 11:39 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Are you using premium gas?
Have you tried resetting the ECM, and the light has come back?

How does the engine sound otherwise?

~Alan
Old 01-20-06, 04:35 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe
Are you using premium gas?
Have you tried resetting the ECM, and the light has come back?

How does the engine sound otherwise?

~Alan
Yes on the premium gas - I have disconnected and reconnected the battery . And the flashing OD light returned after 2 days . I havnt reset it since i checked it yesterday though. And actually it didnt blink going to work, or coming home, actually it was ok today.
I have been noticing the fan more than before , but i switched the hood to one with a vent. So i hear alot more engine noise. And it seems like it sticks at each gear some but not all the time . Unless i let up on the gas as it is just switching or if i punch it it will usually go pretty good.Unless it stumbles.
And the car has seemed sluggish . It idles ok, but when its warmed up it is quiet and seems possibly low. But says about 6-700rpm. I just changed my negative terminal last week. Wich was when i last rest the ecu. And it was running gret for those 2 days. Probably the best since ive owned it actually.
But then it stumbled when i eccelerated like it has been doing off and on. And the OD started blinking again. And its been pretty sluggish.
And im having to press the eccelerator down further too before it wants to go almost always ..
To me the fuel pump has always seemed like it was possibly going? but unsure.
One other thing , when i had the plugs changed , my friend that did itdidnt have the very last plug in far enough i guess . And it popped out while i was driving, so I had to change it. Im not sure if that was related or not? But i didnt change them all at that time .
BTW i also had the timing belt and WP changed 3 months ago. But this problem has been going on for a while . I remember seeing the OD blinking as far back as the summer. But at that time only on the freeway. Now it happens at random times.
Old 01-25-06, 12:23 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Well it didnt seem like code 53 matched up with the problem i was having. So i looked through the manual and redid my check and the code i pulled is actually 63.
wich is a solonoid valve circuit.
Wich does make more sense i think.
the oil drain plug was leaking slightly. And just happens to be right in the general area of the valve.

So i think im going to try getting a new gasket and cleaning up that area. Then resetting the code first. And seeing if that helps .
If not do you guys think replacing the solonid valve will take care of it?
-Thanks