Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GE buildup with GTE parts

Old 12-15-05, 09:46 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GE buildup with GTE parts

I'm contemplating whether or not to complete a 2jzgte swap (missing a few things... ) and going single

or just building up the GE block and then going single

My first goal is simply 400-450rwhp. I can't say i'll be happy here cuz we all know what happens when you hit your goal (especially when it comes to HP)..... you end up wanting more.

My car is a daily so i definately will never want 800+ cuz its just not useable.

So now I'm thinking about building up the GE block with GTE parts... i'm trying to find the thread that discussed this very idea along with compression numbers and the right HG to be used for this type of buildup.

I tried searching uner numerous phrases but couldn't turn up anything.

can someone either help me find that thread and or shed the light on the info i need?

RECAP:
what's needed to buildup a GE block using only GTE internals? I know for the sure the pistons... don't remember if the rods were the same..... and what headgasket to use?

and while i'm at it... how much does it usually cost to rebuild a motor?
Old 12-15-05, 09:50 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want 450hp.. just put a TT headgasket in. GE pistons/rods are forged just the same as TT. There is no need to swap internals, since they are the same
Old 12-15-05, 10:32 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

yea i was thinking that too.... but i dunno if i have that confidence in my motor right now... i go through a quart of oil almost every month

i'd have to do a compression/leak down test before i decide to go that route
Old 12-15-05, 02:11 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
GE pistons/rods are forged just the same as TT. There is no need to swap internals, since they are the same
Is that right?? The 2JZGE pistons and rods are forged and are the same as the ones in a 2JZGTE block??? This is very interesting..
Old 12-15-05, 02:14 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Is that right?? The 2JZGE pistons and rods are forged and are the same as the ones in a 2JZGTE block??? This is very interesting..
Its the same motor with a different head, why would they produce different parts for the same bottom end?
Old 12-15-05, 02:17 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Its the same motor with a different head, why would they produce different parts for the same bottom end?
I just kind of thought they were different since the bottom end on the GE has a different compression ratio than a GTE. Also the GE block doesnt come with those cool oil squirters.
Old 12-15-05, 02:20 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

alot of the higher HP GTE's actually eliminate the oil squirters
Old 12-15-05, 02:50 PM
AURELIOMK3
Pole Position

from what i understand the bottom ends is very similar the only thing that changed in the ge is it does not have oil squiters and the piston are high compression but the rods and crank are the same but the heads are different ,similar but not the exact same good luck with your project
Old 12-15-05, 02:59 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

I might be wrong, but i was shown that the GE and GTE pistons are the same also.. the lower compression comes from the GTE's thicker headgasket. Oil squirters are nothing, it doesnt hurt to not have them.
Old 12-15-05, 03:17 PM
ishot2pac
Driver School Candidate

Ya, ive always wondered why people don't talk about this, you can get everything forged and even put in squirters (if you want to drill a hole in your block),maybe even make it a 3.4 liter cheaper than it would be to buy a gte. Then you can mate it up with a getrag and have a pretty amazing car.
Old 12-15-05, 03:18 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ishot2pac
Ya, ive always wondered why people don't talk about this, you can get everything forged and even put in squirters (if you want to drill a hole in your block),maybe even make it a 3.4 liter cheaper than it would be to buy a gte. Then you can mate it up with a getrag and have a pretty amazing car.
Well thats why i never sold my GE motor.. i still havnt decided if i want to make a 1.5JZ yet
Old 12-15-05, 03:25 PM
AURELIOMK3
Pole Position

not sure casue i know in 7mgte and 7mge there pistons are different but the rods and crank are the same also if you look at turbo piston there are grooved in for the lower compression and the the na actually have a lift and non sunk in 1st pic is turbo pistons second pic is non turbo just examples
Attached Thumbnails GE buildup with GTE parts-turbo-pistons.jpg  
Old 12-15-05, 03:32 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

u got ur motor in yet?
Old 12-15-05, 03:36 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AURELIOMK3
not sure casue i know in 7mgte and 7mge there pistons are different but the rods and crank are the same also if you look at turbo piston there are grooved in for the lower compression and the the na actually have a lift and non sunk in 1st pic is turbo pistons second pic is non turbo just examples
Yeah thats what I thought too. Lower compression pistons are always bowl shaped. Thats why I thought they were not the same pistons. So..they are NOT the same pistons, right?
Old 12-15-05, 03:41 PM
AURELIOMK3
Pole Position

na pistons , 2marrow
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
non turbo piston.bmp (39.4 KB, 515 views)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GE buildup with GTE parts