Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ auto + NA ecu = ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-05, 08:37 AM
MadMaxxNA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ auto + NA ecu = ??

Has anyone successfully used a 1JZ auto w/ the stock 2JZ NA ecu? They look damn near identical, and it has been said that the NA can drive the 1JZ ECT portions.....but looking for confirmation.
Old 12-12-05, 08:45 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MadMaxxNA
Has anyone successfully used a 1JZ auto w/ the stock 2JZ NA ecu? They look damn near identical, and it has been said that the NA can drive the 1JZ ECT portions.....but looking for confirmation.

Yes the 2JZGE tranny ECU "can" function the 1JZGTE transmission, i am truth to that matter because that is my current setup... But it doesnt work 100%. It doesnt shift at the right RPMS, it makes the engine misfire when it shifts, and some ppl have torque converter and tranny slipping problems due from it (i do between 4-5k rpms).
Old 12-12-05, 08:48 AM
MadMaxxNA
Driver

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Yes the 2JZGE tranny ECU "can" function the 1JZGTE transmission, i am truth to that matter because that is my current setup... But it doesnt work 100%. It doesnt shift at the right RPMS, it makes the engine misfire when it shifts, and some ppl have torque converter and tranny slipping problems due from it (i do between 4-5k rpms).

Hmmm.. wonder why it's shifting incorrectly? Engine shouldn't missfire unless it's pulling timing far before the actual shift?

hmmm...interesting indeed!
Old 12-12-05, 08:58 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MadMaxxNA
Hmmm.. wonder why it's shifting incorrectly? Engine shouldn't missfire unless it's pulling timing far before the actual shift?

hmmm...interesting indeed!
Its shifting incorectly because its a different transmission. You need a 1JZGTE tranny ecu for the 1JZ auto. Theres nothing else to figure out
Old 12-12-05, 10:37 AM
MadMaxxNA
Driver

Its shifting incorectly because its a different transmission. You need a 1JZGTE tranny ecu for the 1JZ auto. Theres nothing else to figure out
If it's able to even trigger signal to shift from the ecu, then it shouldn't matter what combo you're using. Shift points and timing are purely controled by the ECU, so the shift points wouldn't change just because you were using a different trans.

2 solinoids control the gear. 2 positions per solinoid.... either energized (12v - on) or not (off).
So if the ECU is sending signal to engage the solinoids in their particular order for the correct gear...there shouldn't be an issue. Both the 1JZ and NA autos share the A340E designation, and are both cable line-pressure driven... so I don't know why people are having issues with them (?).

Sounds like I need to try this out over the holliday break

Last edited by MadMaxxNA; 12-12-05 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-12-05, 11:35 AM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do 1jz motor sets usually come with the 1jz trans auto ecu?
Old 12-12-05, 11:58 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigManne
do 1jz motor sets usually come with the 1jz trans auto ecu?
Mine did not... I've always been under the impression that my 2JZ auto trans ECU would control it properly...
Old 12-12-05, 12:55 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
Mine did not... I've always been under the impression that my 2JZ auto trans ECU would control it properly...
hmm this has me all paranoid now
Old 12-13-05, 07:43 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Seach back on supra forums, its something that was discovered a good fews ago. I knew it would do it before i even put my motor in, but its not a big enough of a problem to search **** for a tranny ecu, but it IS needed if you dont like to manual shift and have it pull timing incorrectly when shifting
Old 12-13-05, 06:21 PM
MadMaxxNA
Driver

Seach back on supra forums, its something that was discovered a good fews ago. I knew it would do it before i even put my motor in, but its not a big enough of a problem to search **** for a tranny ecu, but it IS needed if you dont like to manual shift and have it pull timing incorrectly when shifting

Very odd. Inernally, the 1JZ tranny is damn near identical to the NA. You can take TT auto internals and hybrid them into 7M 340E internals (to gain the extra forward clutches).
Old 12-13-05, 07:20 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Can someone clear this up? How come this hasen't been discussed on here recently? Chino are you having these problems?
Old 12-14-05, 08:44 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Why is everyone stressing over a $20 part u can get from junkyards in less then a week?
Old 12-14-05, 11:06 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Why is everyone stressing over a $20 part u can get from junkyards in less then a week?
What junkyards here in the US would have a JDM tranny ecu?
Old 12-14-05, 11:47 AM
MadMaxxNA
Driver

Huh? What part would that be?

I want to use the 1JZ trans in a NA-T environment. Mainly, to gain the extra holding power of the extra 2 forward clutches.

Worst case, I'll do the rebuild with additional blue plate clutches for the extra holding power.
Old 12-14-05, 04:50 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

2jz-ge: 6000rpm redline?
1jz-gte: 7,250 redline
that there explains the problem w/ using a ge trans ecu w/ the 1jz's.. its just a brief putter whenever your at wot w/ the car. not that big of a deal. low/mid range rpm/throttle it shifts like any other auto..

Quick Reply: 1JZ auto + NA ecu = ??