Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ Is In!.... But have some questions..

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-05, 12:57 AM
Last5Spd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ Is In!.... But have some questions..

Ok.. well the swap is finally completed..

but i got a few questions..

1. What combination is everyone running for power steering lines? What pump and lines and such.

2. Ac Lines. What is everyone using.. from the looks of it i beleive i have have to swap the ac compressor. reason being is that it seems as if the ac lines are revered and they dont hookup. Well one does but it gets in the way for the other to hookup.

3. Alternator. I noticed that on my alternator theres a plug that goes to it. i have yet to find this on my harness. any idea what to do about this?

4. On my car the main fusebox under the hood has 2 connectors. one connection from the harness DOES hookup to one. But the other one doesnt hookup..so i dont get wtf to regarding that.

the place that extended my knock wires cut and used sheilded wires. from what i have read on this forum some say it doesnt work and some say it works fine.. if in case it doesnt work. anyone got a wiring diagram so i can run complete new wires to the plugs necessary?

hope some people can help me out with this

thanks

Last edited by Last5Spd; 11-28-05 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-28-05, 07:16 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some guys use the supra p/s lines, some use custom lines..

the sc300 a/c lines are supposed to bolt right up to the compressor. maybe you have one twisted or something.. i know some 1jz's have a different stud on the compressor and you have to use the 2jzge one. but thats rare

my alternator has a 3 wire plug that is on the part of the harness that goes across the valve covers to the exhaust side of the engine. the wires/plug is towards the bottom left. you can see it branches off into 3 plugs and the alt is one of them.

the fuse box plugs should be one 4 pin plug and another one thats an 8 pin connector. im guessing you found where that extra plug went?
Old 11-28-05, 08:18 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

1. What combination is everyone running for power steering lines? What pump and lines and such.
I used the factory lines on the car, it bolts right up to the 1JZ pump... if you take the banjo fitting off the 2JZ pump and put it on the 1JZ..

2. Ac Lines. What is everyone using.. from the looks of it i beleive i have have to swap the ac compressor. reason being is that it seems as if the ac lines are revered and they dont hookup. Well one does but it gets in the way for the other to hookup.
All mine bolted up like factory intended.

3. Alternator. I noticed that on my alternator theres a plug that goes to it. i have yet to find this on my harness. any idea what to do about this?
SC/Soarer alternators are interchangable from 1991 and on. I used the 2JZGE, its a few amps stronger. The supra alts have a different plug.

4. On my car the main fusebox under the hood has 2 connectors. one connection from the harness DOES hookup to one. But the other one doesnt hookup..so i dont get wtf to regarding that.
Mine plugged right in.

From the way it sounds like man, you do not have a Soarer swap. Might be a chaser or supra or starlet? All the body plugs are supposed to be identical between the cars. Of course i also made sure i had a 1992 motor for my 1992 car.. that makes a big difference to get the correct year motor for the body. Each year body and design has slight changes.
Old 11-28-05, 08:54 AM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Contact 'blksc300mt' He went through the same stuff.
Old 11-28-05, 11:35 AM
Last5Spd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kaiser
Contact 'blksc300mt' He went through the same stuff.

will do..

i will get some better pics as soon as i can get hold of a camera....
Old 11-28-05, 11:39 AM
Last5Spd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by got_trd
some guys use the supra p/s lines, some use custom lines..

the sc300 a/c lines are supposed to bolt right up to the compressor. maybe you have one twisted or something.. i know some 1jz's have a different stud on the compressor and you have to use the 2jzge one. but thats rare

my alternator has a 3 wire plug that is on the part of the harness that goes across the valve covers to the exhaust side of the engine. the wires/plug is towards the bottom left. you can see it branches off into 3 plugs and the alt is one of them.

the fuse box plugs should be one 4 pin plug and another one thats an 8 pin connector. im guessing you found where that extra plug went?

actually when i talked to u the first time i confused myself.. pretty much there a harness connection but it doesnt mate with one of the fusebox connections.

Ac lines seem to be reversed meaning... the little nipple on the compressor itself doesnt fall into the correct return and going out line. it would have to be reveresed.. i think i will just swap over to the 2jz. Power steering lines i just have to run new lines i suppose . i will take a look at the car agian when i go to drop it off at my friends shop to get the ic piping made..

thanks
Old 11-28-05, 11:41 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Last5Spd
actually when i talked to u the first time i confused myself.. pretty much there a harness connection but it doesnt mate with one of the fusebox connections.

Ac lines seem to be reversed meaning... the little nipple on the compressor itself doesnt fall into the correct return and going out line. it would have to be reveresed.. i think i will just swap over to the 2jz. Power steering lines i just have to run new lines i suppose . i will take a look at the car agian when i go to drop it off at my friends shop to get the ic piping made..

thanks

Why not just take the banjo fitting off the 2JZGE pump, and put it on your 1JZGTE pump??? Your lines will bolt right up.
Old 11-28-05, 01:07 PM
Last5Spd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Why not just take the banjo fitting off the 2JZGE pump, and put it on your 1JZGTE pump??? Your lines will bolt right up.
you know what. you are right.. i rather should do that... just didnt think of it at the time. what is everyone doing for a power steering resevoir?

my set didnt come with one and i cant mount the 2jzge one because it clocks the throttle body on the 1jz..

thanks agian
Old 11-28-05, 01:10 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

You can either order a Supra TT reservoir or retro fit you stocker to work. You will definately need to order the feed hose from reservoir to pump. ATF eats regular heater line.
Old 11-28-05, 01:14 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

you know what. you are right.. i rather should do that... just didnt think of it at the time. what is everyone doing for a power steering resevoir?

my set didnt come with one and i cant mount the 2jzge one because it clocks the throttle body on the 1jz..

thanks agian
I got one off ebay, all aluminum with mounting tabs and all, for $35 shipped. It was round, but heres one that will work also:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...17135631QQrdZ1

Yes its ugly blue, i think tomorrow all blue in my engine bay, and powdercoat that canister silver.

Also if you don't hook up that 2 wire line thats on the wrong side, youll stay in "highway mode".... you might like your steering better like that.

Last edited by VJ RC51; 11-28-05 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-28-05, 04:27 PM
blksc300mt
Driver

ok so....

#1 - both power steering pumps will work...but youll need a seperate reservoir like vj rc51 posted. i ended up buying the stock reservoir from a 95 supra tt and it fit perfectly, it was like 130 bucks, but i wanted the stock one...make sure you get the bolts and rubber mounts for it if you go that way. also, get the hose that goes from the reservoir to the pump. if you wanna use the 2jz-ge pump with the seperate reservoir, you can unbolt the one thats on it, its 3 small bolts, and take the fitting from the 1jz pump...theres one bolt holding it in screw and on the ge pump the hole is there too.

#2 - a/c compressor....your stock ge ac compressor should bolt up to the 1j with no problems. i used the 1j compressor in my car, and what i noticed is the manifold plate....the square plate that the two ac lines go to...is different on the 1j compressor and the 2j compressor, probably cuz the 1j was meant for right hand drive. i just swapped out the manifold plate with the one from my 2jz. if you do that, make sure you change the wierd shaped gasket thats in there, and the o-rings where the two lines go to the plate, that wierd shaped gasket ended up leaking in the first place for me because it became old and brittle.

#3 &4 - alternator....heres the fun part... i didnt know this problem existed until i had the motor in the car and my plugs didnt match up either. i think the reason the plugs are different is because the motor is from a 94 or 95, and they mustve changed how the alternator is wired. my motorset came with part of the harness that goes to the alternator, including the plug for it but it wasnt part of the engine harness like on the 2jz-ge motor. first thing is the big wire that goes to the fuse box...you shouldnt have a problem with that, but the plug with three wires is the fun part. theres an off-white wire, a yellow with green, and a black with yellow i think...ill have to check tomorrow to make sure. the off-white wire needs to be run to the fuse box, and the black/yellow and yellow/green wires need to be run to the body connectors that plug in by your ecu. the black/yellow is to complete the charging system, and goes on the grey plug with the smaller pins, and the yellow/green is for the charging idiot light on your dash cluster, and goes on the orange plug i believe. now if you look at where the plug is that dosent fit the car, thats by the fuse box...you should be able to pop off the white part and get the pins out of the four pin plug thats on the motorset, and put them in the 3 pin plug that youll need to steal off of your old motor. the white wire goes to the off white wire from the alternator, and theres two more...let me check my car tomorrow and let you know, because its been a couple months since ive done this and i forgot exactly what i did.

hope this helps
Old 11-28-05, 07:58 PM
Last5Spd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blksc300mt
ok so....

#1 - both power steering pumps will work...but youll need a seperate reservoir like vj rc51 posted. i ended up buying the stock reservoir from a 95 supra tt and it fit perfectly, it was like 130 bucks, but i wanted the stock one...make sure you get the bolts and rubber mounts for it if you go that way. also, get the hose that goes from the reservoir to the pump. if you wanna use the 2jz-ge pump with the seperate reservoir, you can unbolt the one thats on it, its 3 small bolts, and take the fitting from the 1jz pump...theres one bolt holding it in screw and on the ge pump the hole is there too.

#2 - a/c compressor....your stock ge ac compressor should bolt up to the 1j with no problems. i used the 1j compressor in my car, and what i noticed is the manifold plate....the square plate that the two ac lines go to...is different on the 1j compressor and the 2j compressor, probably cuz the 1j was meant for right hand drive. i just swapped out the manifold plate with the one from my 2jz. if you do that, make sure you change the wierd shaped gasket thats in there, and the o-rings where the two lines go to the plate, that wierd shaped gasket ended up leaking in the first place for me because it became old and brittle.

#3 &4 - alternator....heres the fun part... i didnt know this problem existed until i had the motor in the car and my plugs didnt match up either. i think the reason the plugs are different is because the motor is from a 94 or 95, and they mustve changed how the alternator is wired. my motorset came with part of the harness that goes to the alternator, including the plug for it but it wasnt part of the engine harness like on the 2jz-ge motor. first thing is the big wire that goes to the fuse box...you shouldnt have a problem with that, but the plug with three wires is the fun part. theres an off-white wire, a yellow with green, and a black with yellow i think...ill have to check tomorrow to make sure. the off-white wire needs to be run to the fuse box, and the black/yellow and yellow/green wires need to be run to the body connectors that plug in by your ecu. the black/yellow is to complete the charging system, and goes on the grey plug with the smaller pins, and the yellow/green is for the charging idiot light on your dash cluster, and goes on the orange plug i believe. now if you look at where the plug is that dosent fit the car, thats by the fuse box...you should be able to pop off the white part and get the pins out of the four pin plug thats on the motorset, and put them in the 3 pin plug that youll need to steal off of your old motor. the white wire goes to the off white wire from the alternator, and theres two more...let me check my car tomorrow and let you know, because its been a couple months since ive done this and i forgot exactly what i did.

hope this helps

wow.. long post.. thanks alot and i will be waiting for the updates.. i better get ahold of my old engine before my friend sells it..

thanks agian
Old 11-30-05, 11:21 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

it should be nothing more then just clipping the 1jz harness alt plug off and putting your 2jzge one on...

I guess a good lesson is learned here:
Try and get the same year 1jz as your sc300
Old 11-30-05, 12:11 PM
Last5Spd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
it should be nothing more then just clipping the 1jz harness alt plug off and putting your 2jzge one on...

I guess a good lesson is learned here:
Try and get the same year 1jz as your sc300

uhhh... yeah try waiting longer with jhot..
Old 11-30-05, 12:42 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

uhhh... yeah try waiting longer with jhot..
I was told for a 93 engine for my 93 im swapping, i wont be seeing an engine til probably feb.

Quick Reply: 1JZ Is In!.... But have some questions..