Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help! S&S Headers, now no Start!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-05, 06:37 PM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help! S&S Headers, now no Start!

Okay guys.

So I finally decided to install the S&S Headers on my 00 SC400 before I left for Thanksgiving vacation on the road. A little more go-juice for the holiday road-warriors.

Anyways found a shop 30 minutes away that would do the install same day for $500. GREAT.

They did the install and of course the flanges didnt match up as a previous member posted on his 99 SC400 Tutorial in FL.

He said he just drove it to a muffler shop and had the exhuaust adjsuted to fit.

Ok... so my install was done at 6:15 CST today. Called around and EVERY muffler shop was closed for Thanksgiving.

Ok.. still no problem. Just drive it back home the 30 minutes, wait until Friday then go straight to the Muffler shop.

3 Minutes from my house the car goes quiet. Dead. Trys to turn repeatedly, no crank. No start. Reset the ECU 5 times. Still no restart.

Had to remove the bumper, then pull the car home.

Still wont start..

Someone help me out please........

O2 sensors get burnt? Tom at TM Engineering can you chime in here? JBrady, anyone?
Old 11-23-05, 09:57 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

if one O2 sensor got burnt your backup one wouldbe there to keep your car going. If both went out I'd go back to that shop and ask them what they did.
Old 11-23-05, 10:08 PM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Could a burnt O2 sensor prevent the car from starting? No check engine light here/
Old 11-23-05, 10:11 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wtrufaunt
Could a burnt O2 sensor prevent the car from starting? No check engine light here/
If both are burnt then it wont let your car start. If one is burnt your car will still start and run dandy but you will have a check engine light.
Old 11-23-05, 10:13 PM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Anyway to check them?
Old 11-23-05, 10:20 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wtrufaunt
Anyway to check them?
I do not know of anyway to check the sensors just basically if your car doesnt stay on your sensors are not working properly. If the shop had removed them to test fit the headers you might want to check that the plugged them back in nice and tight. Also if they had accidentally dropped your sensors they could have messed them up badly. Those things are very sensitive. But make sure that the sensor plugs are in nice and tight and that all the needles are in the little harness correctly.
Old 11-23-05, 10:34 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Are headers even worth doing to an SC400?
Old 11-24-05, 12:30 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
SC4s are mean killers. If I had one I'd definetly upgrade the headers. I'd get one with the best design. I'd also get a straight through exhaust with 2.5" piping and cut outs on each side with HKS exhausts coming out of the back shooting up and angled out. Hahaha now Im getting carried away.
Old 11-24-05, 07:03 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Absolutely NOT... after all they give you more power and who would want that

Seriously, is your Impala and your Chevelle stock? If so my stock LS400 will beat the Impala and if not the Chevelle it would put up a respectable race.

Just as seriously, have you looked at your stock SC400 exhaust manifolds???

Here is a picture of the GS400 and the SC400 manifolds. The SCs are the crappy single tube design while the GS is better but nothing like the headers.
Attached Thumbnails Help!  S&S Headers, now no Start!-im001184.jpg  
Old 11-24-05, 02:01 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady

Seriously, is your Impala and your Chevelle stock? If so my stock LS400 will beat the Impala and if not the Chevelle it would put up a respectable race.

Here is a picture of the GS400 and the SC400 manifolds. The SCs are the crappy single tube design while the GS is better but nothing like the headers.
the Impala yes but the Chevelle..... that would have to be one hell of an LS 588RWHP in the chevelle and just over 620tq. I'm not bashign the headers, I just have heard that they don't do THAT much for the price to the 1UZ. Any dyno chaarts of the difference? if so, I'm interested.
Old 11-24-05, 02:45 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To start with, check for fuel and spark.
Old 11-24-05, 03:00 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbrady

Sorry of topic-
Jbrady I glad you posted pic of the GS400 and SC400 headers side by side. I ve been trying to compile pics to compare. I'm trying to get some of the GS430 guys that have removed their headers to post pics just to compare.
Old 11-24-05, 04:09 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

the Impala yes but the Chevelle..... that would have to be one hell of an LS 588RWHP in the chevelle and just over 620tq. I'm not bashign the headers, I just have heard that they don't do THAT much for the price to the 1UZ. Any dyno chaarts of the difference? if so, I'm interested.
That is why I said STOCK

Take a look at the above pictures. The SC manifolds are small diameter single tube logs with horrible internal intersections at 90 degrees. The reports comming back are very good including a strong improvement in low and mid range power. Keep watching for more dynos. Check the GS section for more as well.
Old 11-24-05, 04:12 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
Sorry of topic-
Jbrady I glad you posted pic of the GS400 and SC400 headers side by side. I ve been trying to compile pics to compare. I'm trying to get some of the GS430 guys that have removed their headers to post pics just to compare.
The all of the 430s GS,. LS and SC have the same exact manifold. It looks very similar to the SC400 posted above. Direct bolt in. No brainer power enhancement in my book.
Old 11-25-05, 06:46 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What exactly does your car do when you try to crank it over.. So far my guess would be fuel pump, but with out explaning i dont know

Quick Reply: Help! S&S Headers, now no Start!