Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

6 speed in 99sc300

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 08:34 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed in 99sc300

Has anyone actually DONE the auto-manual swap on a 99-00 sc300 with the VVT-i and all? I'm finding out through posts about the lack of an ECU to fit this setup but that a supra one may work. Bottom line, has anyone actually done this?
Old 11-02-05, 03:12 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

I haven't seen this done before, but thats not to say it hasnt been done. Changing your car from auto to manual is possible. Dosen't the IS300 come with a manual trans and a VVT-i 2JZ? Or is it different. I could be wrong, i've never looked into it, but I would doubt the Supra TT VVT-i computer would work plug and play. It's for a 2JZ-GTE. (Wait did the 98 Supra N/A have vvt-i and a 5sp m/t?)You could always just go with a standalone computer though, if you didn't want to just go ahead and do a full 6spd GTE swap. Someone help this guy out.
Old 11-02-05, 03:22 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Streetking has a 6 speed in his car its a 97.
Old 11-02-05, 03:29 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kietlander
Streetking has a 6 speed in his car its a 97.

Yeah, but he has a full GTE swap. He wants to just convert from an auto VVT-i 2JZ-GE to a manual, and wants to know what computer is plug and play.
Old 11-02-05, 03:42 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

oops hahah. yeah just use supra ecu.
Old 11-02-05, 03:48 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Currently there is no standalone that has a full VVT-i function. There are piggybacks out there; but can be expensive. The factory ECU shouldn't be a problem, but can cause headaches in the future when modding; ask Lex Luthor. The only resolution I can see to this if you want perfect factory drivability is to get either a 5-speed IS300 ECU or a '98 Supra N/A 5-speed ECU; both cars have VVT-i. Is it worth it on the long run? Well if you can get everything sorted out; yes; it will be a perfect street machine, but anything over 550-600 whp will cause trouble since there are no aftermarket, large duration VVT-i cams, but there are larger exhaust cams from HKS and is only available on the exhaust side since VVT-i in the SC is found on the intake side. There have been success with e-manage and such. The head will eventually become a restriction when more power is needed due to not enough support for the VVT-i function. I would say your best bet is to find a non-VVT-i SC300 if you want monster horsepower and a VVT-i SC300 if you want a perfect street car. If you want the best of both worlds and have a large bank account, go with a stroker; perfect balance of power and streetability. If all else fails on my part, I'm definitely going stroker, but the problem is that I don't have a large bank account.
-Justin
Old 11-02-05, 06:38 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

from what i understand, going auto to manual the ecu is not a issue.
theres extra software for the auto ecu to control the trans, w/ a manual
trans installed its controlling nothing & doesnt affect its operation.

i've been looking to upgrade to a g-force computer & everyone says
the auto ecu works fine on the maunal trans.

so replacing your ecu is probably not necessary.
search g-force on supraforums & you will see what i mean.

john
Old 11-06-05, 09:01 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

Thanks for the help. I guess no one has actually done this. That's ok, i'll keep you posted in time. I'm looking for like 350-400hp, I'm going to do the turbo kit all myself, no engine swaps, jsut like a T62 turbo and maybe a little rebuild on the motor. That's the plan with the w58 tranny idealy. This would be a car that could hold it's own but be used for everyday driving too if I wanted to do that. The IS did come with the 5speed VVT-I but I have found out the ECU for the tranny deals with the MAF, intake, exhaust, and an oxygen sensor or two. So I'm not sure, actually pretty sure they're not the same parts on the SC and IS so I'm not sure if that would work. The N/A supra maybe be the way to go, or maybe find someone who can mess with the ECU for me? Eh? Any volenteers?
Old 11-06-05, 10:50 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Currently there is no standalone that has a full VVT-i function. There are piggybacks out there; but can be expensive. The factory ECU shouldn't be a problem, but can cause headaches in the future when modding; ask Lex Luthor. The only resolution I can see to this if you want perfect factory drivability is to get either a 5-speed IS300 ECU or a '98 Supra N/A 5-speed ECU; both cars have VVT-i. Is it worth it on the long run? Well if you can get everything sorted out; yes; it will be a perfect street machine, but anything over 550-600 whp will cause trouble since there are no aftermarket, large duration VVT-i cams, but there are larger exhaust cams from HKS and is only available on the exhaust side since VVT-i in the SC is found on the intake side. There have been success with e-manage and such. The head will eventually become a restriction when more power is needed due to not enough support for the VVT-i function. I would say your best bet is to find a non-VVT-i SC300 if you want monster horsepower and a VVT-i SC300 if you want a perfect street car. If you want the best of both worlds and have a large bank account, go with a stroker; perfect balance of power and streetability. If all else fails on my part, I'm definitely going stroker, but the problem is that I don't have a large bank account.
-Justin
Could be wrong but doesn't the Motec M800/880 offer Variable Valve timing options?
Old 11-07-05, 08:48 AM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

haltek AEM MOTEC
all can handle VVTI