Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

98+ sc4: resonator or cat???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 08:06 PM
gsshopper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98+ sc4: Exhaust plan feedback requested

Since my original "text diagram" got squashed sideways when posted, I've edited my original post, below:

Is there anyone who can confirm with certainty whether the the item located just aft of the "Y" junction in the 98+ non-CA SC400 is a resonator vs a catalytic convertor?

The only thread I can find that claims definitive knowledge on this subject claims that it's a third cat, but on my car (99 SC4), there's no hint of a heat shield on this thing - it looks like a resonator to me.

Here's the plan I have in mind for my new exhaust - if you see anything wrong here, please comment:

On the subject of resonators and mufflers, I've listened to all of the sound clips I can lay my hands on, but the multitude of factors that govern the end result don't yield a clear picture of which resonators and mufflers will produce an exhaust note that is close to stock. So if you have experience with a combination that is both free flowing and *quiet*, I would very much appreciate your advice on these components.
Sound clips of the Magnaflow street series (14829) I've heard have too much "blat" for my taste, and clips of the RMM's sound too deep and burbly. But these are the closest to stock of the clips I've listened to. If any of you are using these mufflers with resonators that produce a more stock-like sound, would appreciate info on the resonators you're using. Or if you're using a different combination that is ***quiet*** but relatively free-flowing, please let me in on your secret.

Thanks.

Last edited by gsshopper; 11-01-05 at 08:10 PM.