Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-05, 09:50 PM
wf_sc4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Stalling

My car is 1995 SC400 with 131k miles. I work in a hot climate area and live in a much cooler adjacent town. When leaving work, the A/C is on full blast. As I near home, A/C is turned off and the heater is cranked up. While slowing down to exit the freeway, for a stop sign or to pay toll, the car will just shut off. I read something about it before but didn't save the information...my bad.

Can someone forward a thread that discusses this in greater detail? Do you kjnow if this is a well documented problem the dealership can take care with ease or will they have to poke around under the hood for a year or two?

If I am going to sell my car, how would you articulate this problem to the seller? Also, would you shave much off the asking price because of this problem?

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 10-31-05, 02:37 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Have you tried looking at the temp gauge to monitor your coolant heat?

Try doing that next time so that we can narrow your problem down from a huge list of possible dianosis.
Old 11-08-05, 02:43 AM
fredzdesig
Driver School Candidate

wf_sc4, I've started having the same problem, starting when the ac is off and coming to a stop after about a 25 minute freeway drive, but more often now... I hit the brakes and everything dies for a quick blink. Freaks me out and can be dangerous because you lose power steering and brakes if it shuffs off completely.

Anyhow, I did a search and found this thread on the 95 LS400 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=129767
It pretty much says the LS owners were having a similar problem as this and the factory "acknowledges" that you may have a sudden drop in idle (not same as all electricity suddenly stopping though... I think this statements allows Lexus to justify the difference between YOU paying for it, or a manufacture recall in my opinion... ) AND recommends replacing the ECM with the upgrade ECM. Someone else threw in MAF...

I wonder if this is a related problem with 95+ SCs and not just isolated to the 95 LS400s? I hope someone comes up with an answer if this is the proper solution, but this is my best guess.

Maybe it will take a bad accident for Lexus to finally recall bad ECMs and admit this could be potentially a very bad problem... that is if it IS an ECM failure. I don't think it's too much speculation, but I'm not an expert.

Actually, I thought it might have been some messed up ground in wiring up my stereo and dvd, and when I pressed the brakes, it would draw too much power and kill the car for a sec or something! --That was wishful thinking on a cheap fix anyways compared to the ECM!

**** TECHNICAL SUPPORT AND KNOWLEDGE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! ****