Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best year of SC to buy for 2JZ-GTE swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-05, 12:28 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wreckless

I ruled out the 1JZ swap exactly because parts are such a PITA to find. Its an amazing engine no doubt, but the parts support for the 2JZ-GTE is not going to dry up anytime soon.

Keep the info coming!
K, I'm not one to pick on people. But do you care to explain what parts are a PITA to find? I'll think you find yourself ignorant of how similar the 1jz and 2jz really are.
Old 08-15-05, 12:38 PM
sc.Fred
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
K, I'm not one to pick on people. But do you care to explain what parts are a PITA to find? I'll think you find yourself ignorant of how similar the 1jz and 2jz really are.
agreed, it's not that much harder to find 1jz as opposed to the 2jz. obviously there is more support for the 2j because of the supra's here but 1j parts are easily accessible with the right people and resources
Old 08-15-05, 04:15 PM
Wreckless
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done a great deal of research on the 1JZ as I was considering it for my red '89T MK3 Supra that has the correct mounts to have a JZA70 clip work as a drop in swap, just add wiring.
I could make a huge laundry list, but I'll readily admit that the 1JZ-GTE market is growing fast and things that were hard to find previously are becoming available (turbo manifolds, top feed fuel rails, etc) albiet there seems to still be a premium attached to the 1JZ parts. Maintenance parts are getting easier as people cross-reference more and more to the 2JZ-GTE and others.. the 4 cyl Isuzu Trooper timing belt thing still kinda freaks me out, lol.
But The fact remains that the aftermarket & parts support for the 2JZ-GTE will always be stronger in the US. Depending on which way I go (either 2J swap my MA70 or buy a JZZ30) I intend to keep the car for as long as I possibly can and it will continue to be my daily driver, which makes parts support for the 2JZ-GTE an important factor to me.
I could have worded my previous assesment of the 1JZ better, and certainly if a 5-spd 2.5GT-T clip falls in my lap for the right price I'd have to consider it.

Last edited by Wreckless; 08-15-05 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-15-05, 04:16 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DETUNED
My car was an auto and now has the getrag 6 speed. You can clearly see where you have to drill the 3 holes for the Clutch master cylinder. I did no welding whatsoever and was very straightforward and easy. prob took no more than 15 minutes to drill all the holes and mount it up.
uuummmm the tabs i was refering to were not for the clutch master mounting (theres dimpels
on the firewall / engine side that are used as drill guides) which also holds the lower part of the clutch pedal bracket
i had to check my car to be sure i not loosing it
under the dash looking straight up theres a mounting tab to support the upper section (top) of the clutch pedal bracket asm. - w/o the top portion of the bracket secured over time the bracket
will flex & eventually crack/break - every time you push the clutch in there a hella lot of leverage
which was the case w/ the 2 supras i was refering - no tabs
now the rocket scientists that swapped thoses cars may have cut the tabs off for clearance- LOL

now back to my q - detuned or other auto owner is the upper tab there?
if not you'll see what i'm talking about in a little while