Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

slow acceleration on my sc400 any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-05, 07:32 PM
hiephopp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default slow acceleration on my sc400 any ideas?

i just bought a 93 sc400. it has a very slow accerlation problem. it still gets up speed, but it takes a while...the car and engine runs smooth, no noises, rattling or anything... The car has two aftermarket exhuast, and both catalytic coverters are hollowed out..( i have some original cats too, but they mite be clogged...thats the reason he had them hollowed out. i think... )...Im thinkin that it could just be there's no back pressure cuz of the exhaust system...but if anyone else has another explanation, please help. The engine light is on, and sometimes smoke comes out of the exhaust...i can smell the fuel too..The car just had a recent tune-up so, i really cant think of anything else that could be wrong. im new to lexus's, so please help. Thanks.
Old 08-08-05, 08:43 PM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

what color is the smoke? white? blue? black/grey?
Old 08-09-05, 04:13 PM
hiephopp
Driver School Candidate

its sorta blue
Old 08-09-05, 04:28 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the diameter of the exhaust piping?
Old 08-09-05, 04:55 PM
hiephopp
Driver School Candidate

the piping is all still stock...the aftermarket exhausts are direct bolt ons...
Old 08-12-05, 02:10 AM
ant1k
Lead Lap

is it slow compared to other stock sc400s or does it just feel slow to you? because the sc400 stock doesnt have the best acceleration but not bad.
Old 08-12-05, 07:19 AM
MyScRuNmIa
Pole Position

ok childern listen here!!!! number one my frinde your not pushing the pedal hard enuff, lol my babie still get side ways off the line even tho i took off the after market exhact, lol on the real tip tho. i advise you to go to lexus an have a complete diagnostic done on your car, its only like 80 bucks, because your problrm could be anything from bad sprak plug wires, distributers, plugs or injectors, so just spend the cash an find out
Old 08-12-05, 07:39 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hiephopp
its sorta blue

Blue smoke is indicative of oil. Possibly blow-by. Start by pressure checking your cylinders. One possibility is that the piston rings are bad. This would reduce cylinder pressure and reduce power.

MySc, I'm calling BS. I can't think of 1 SC400, stock, that can get sideways off the line!
Old 08-12-05, 08:37 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Blue smoke is indicative of oil. Possibly blow-by. Start by pressure checking your cylinders. One possibility is that the piston rings are bad. This would reduce cylinder pressure and reduce power.

MySc, I'm calling BS. I can't think of 1 SC400, stock, that can get sideways off the line!
+1 blue smoke is blow-by(had this prob with my friend's es300) and it made a big difference.
Old 08-12-05, 08:51 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mkorsu

I could make even.. a 70ish hp Toyota corrolla (ae85) go sideways if I put crappy enough tires... he needs to replace his tires.
Old 08-12-05, 09:09 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
I could make even.. a 70ish hp Toyota corrolla (ae85) go sideways if I put crappy enough tires... he needs to replace his tires.
Agreed!!!

He's saying it does it off the line, by mashing the pedal. Not gonna happen!
Old 08-12-05, 08:26 PM
vududoc
Rookie

comp and leakdown...vac check will give quick look to see if you have a burnt or stuck valve.
Old 08-12-05, 08:28 PM
hiephopp
Driver School Candidate

the car is SLOW....compared to any car...it still gets up to speed, it just takes a while. slow *** acceleration...engine light is still on...im put the stock mufflers on, hopefully it would help
Old 08-16-05, 01:53 PM
hiephopp
Driver School Candidate

i did it! haha..i fix the problem. one of the ignition coils were out...easy fix. car runs perfect now. hope this helps anyone with the same problem.
The following users liked this post:
gadjet (10-24-20)
Old 03-03-11, 01:39 PM
92prl400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hiephopp
i did it! haha..i fix the problem. one of the ignition coils were out...easy fix. car runs perfect now. hope this helps anyone with the same problem.
hey im having the same issue how do i find out which coil pack is bad or even if i need one, it has like a whitish blue smoke out of the exhaust everytime i start it up, it takes forever to get up to 30-40 mph i can only go up a hill at like 20 mph, i replaced the spark plugs a new maf and its still running poorly i bought this car 3 weeks ago and the prev owner said bad air flow meter, and im smelling gas in the inside of the car, and exhaust in the inside of the car, n e info,

Quick Reply: slow acceleration on my sc400 any ideas?