Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tips for valve cover gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-05, 09:03 PM
ted17
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for valve cover gasket?

I found out that i need to replace my valve cover gasket. I did a search and found nothing. Does any one have any good tips for me before I start? It does look to hard but any info would be great.
Old 08-06-05, 09:07 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

while your in there, you can do the egr mod and the coolant bypass mod. you can find this info on supraforums.com
Old 08-06-05, 09:20 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

bookmarked for tips.
Old 08-06-05, 11:36 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Replace the coolant hose clamp running to the bottom of the throttle body with a screw type clamp, this will save you sooooooo much hassle in reinstalling it
Old 08-07-05, 05:27 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

no need to replace the clamp, remove the hose, do the coolant bypass.
Old 08-07-05, 05:56 PM
ted17
Pole Position

I just read up on the egr mod and coolant bypass. still thinking if i want to take the time to do them.
But ill read up on them again and see if i want to attempt to do the mods. Thanks guys
Old 08-09-05, 01:35 PM
Dramon
Driver

Gaskets should be about 18 bucks or so from the dealership each.
Old 08-15-05, 07:04 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aliga
while your in there, you can do the egr mod and the coolant bypass mod. you can find this info on supraforums.com
can you post this info? I tried to register on supra fourms but it says Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator.
Old 08-15-05, 09:32 PM
ted17
Pole Position

Default egr mod

Well i finally have time to sit down and type out the how to on blocking you egr gases from entering youe intake manifold. thus cooling the intake charge and keeping your engine internals cleaner. And along with taking the pip that blocks the flor on the intake manfiold. will give you more airflow and less disturbance .

The 3 things you need to do this mod is 2 expansion plugs from pep boys,

part# 362501.1 35/64" sc exp plug

part#362747.1 20mm deep exp plug

Can of intake/thorttle body cleaner- you will see how dirty is when its apart. it took me almost 2 cans to get everything clean

one fuse from radio shack

ohm 1/2 watt resistor (part# 271-1126)

use the same resistor as the twin turbo egr mod

Ok lets start at step one .

step #1 Remove you intake/ intake pipe and filter

step #2 disconnect all the lines going to your throttle body
inlcuding thorttle lines and vacuum hoses. make sure you note what your removing and make sure you know where you took it off when putting evrything back when your done. there a egr diagram under the hood to help you out.

step #3 disconnect the egr system tubes and remove the tope egr saucer looking thing.

Step #4 removal the throttle body make sure you removal all the bolts.

Step #5 diconnect any tubes going into your intake manfiold.

Step #6 removal all the bolts holding the intake manfiold which is right after the throttle body and lookis like a y its one tube going into two then it connects to your runners. The inatke manifold uses a metal gasket and can be reused just make sure you dont damage it when removing it. Ther are going to be two bolts under the intake manfiold so you have to take them off before you take the manfiold off.

Step #7 remove the egr tube that attaches to the intake manfiold . you will need to take the bols off ten reomal the threaded bolts that hold evrything together/

Step #8 ok now you have done the hard part / you have the thorttle body off, you ave the intake manifold and metall gasket off .

Step #9 unplug the egr probe sensor connector and put the fuse in where the egr probe plugged in. make sure you secure the fuse in there. this will disbale your check engine from coming on.

Step #10 Clean the inside of you intake manfiold until its looks new. when you look inside the intake manfiold you will see a metal tube right before where the single intake path becomes two and right before the sort of air foil thing. thats what we called it on the impala's. Anyways you will need to unscrew the screw that holding the pipe in . next drill a hold threw the expansiong plugs that in there and take it out .

Step #11 removal the pipe that goes threw your intake manfiold thats used for the egr. its going to take you a couple mins to do . its snug in there. but it does come out.

Step #12 install the new 35/64 sc exp plug in the place of the one you took out.

step #13 install 20mm deep exp plug in where the egr tube connected to on the side of the intake manfiold . this will block the hot /dirty gas from entering your engine.

step #14 Now you are ready to bolt evrthing back on the car . its easier to put eveything back on then it is to take it off. Now just reinatsll all these parts on your car . when connecting the egr tube that comes from the back of the block back on the car make
sure to use the gasket. reinstall all the vacuum tubes/ sensors, install the throttle body , reconnect all the vacuum hoses and throttle cable, make sure everything is in the right spot. or else your car willnt run right. install you intake reonnect the maf, and start her up. It might take couple mins to idle right but afetr that your set. it took me about 5mins cause i disconnected the battery and cleaned the runners with intake/throttle body cleaner. the engine was really dirt on the inside. if you look at the egr tube you took out you will see how much crap is in it.

By the way your car might not pass emissions with this mod but ifs its already warm and runnning mint you will. If this is a problem for you dont do this mod is (off-road use only)

Good luck Sorry If i left anything out .

~Xdreamer~ 93.5 all natural supra (long island , NY)

If you want to take the whole egr system out you will need two egr plates to remove it completely. this will clean up your enigne bay but its emission legality is questionable but alot of cars pass visiaul with it blocked and should pass if the car is running good and is already warm. I am in no way repsonsible for anything that occurs after this modification to your car . Sorry i just have to cover my A$$. I have done this on my car within the last week and the car is alot more repsonive . it pulls harder and no affect on gas milage or idle.
i have seen no downside with it as of yet except a more responsive car. its like porting you intake manfiold to a degree you now adding about 20-25 percent more flow internally. so if you have a exhuast you will see a bigger gain. the gain is from removing the pipe. blocking the egr basically
stop the overheating of your pistons and wot and keeps the dirty gases out of enigne . All the tools you need are the same as the twin turbo egr removal . Sorry i didnt have time to note what sockets i used . Enjoy
Old 08-15-05, 09:36 PM
ted17
Pole Position

Default coolant bypass

I want to prefice this with a big THANK YOU to Brett, Xdreamer.
I did the EGR blockoff last week and the throttle body coolant bypass this weekend. While the EGR block made a slight difference in my EGT's the biggest difference I noticed was in the throttle response.
Now what I was really shocked by was the drop in EGT's after I did the throttle body coolant bypass. After I did this my EGT's dropped close to 50 degrees C. I couldn't believe my eyes.
If you haven't done this to your car it is possibly one of the easiest things you can do.
There are a couple of ways to do it but here is how I did it.
Remove throttle body like you are changing the spark plugs. Disconnect the TB coolant lines from the TB. Drain radiator. Remove the coolant lines that attach to front and rear of block that supply TB. Cap the rear coolant tube with a 5/16 vacuum cap and secure with a small hose clamp. Remove the front supply pipe from the block. THis is held on with 1 12mm bolt and 2 12mm nuts. Once this is off you can either use another 5/16 vacuum cap and hose clamp or what I did was remove the supply tube and tap it with an 1/8 Pipe Tap Fitting. I then put in a plug with some pipe dope around it then reinstalled back onto the block. Replaced TB and and refilled coolant and was good to go.
The other nice thing about this is it cuts down on the time it takes to change you plugs because you don't have to mess with the coolant lines any more.
Again thanks Xdreamer.
Old 08-19-05, 12:18 PM
2K95es300
Driver School Candidate

Question Application Question

Can this modifaction be used on an '95 ES300?
Can you also give me a thorough compeling reason on why I should do these mods?
Can the mods be undone?