Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ram air bfi

Old 07-26-05, 06:55 PM
white ice
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ram air bfi

has anyone thought or done this in addition to a bfi? my thought was when the paneling is brought down in the front grill to direct the air with a plate or funnel of some sort. my thought was instead of just coming through the grill and air going everywhere, would it be benefical to block it off so it goes directing under the headlight and straight into the airbox? also with a plate in the vertical space b/n the radiator mount and the bumper. any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails ram air bfi-ram-air-plate.jpg  
Old 07-27-05, 09:59 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's sealed off by the rubber molding of the radiator support I believe. Don't quote me on this but I'm almost definite that the entire thing is sealed off.
Old 07-27-05, 11:07 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

There was a product similar to your idea made by SS Inductions a long long time ago. Unfortunately, the factory burned down and the molds were lost. I remember reading somewhere that there was a clone but I never followed up on it.
Old 07-27-05, 06:35 PM
white ice
Rookie

koza , after further inspection your right that it is sealed off.
the grill intake though brings the air up and the air could go to the left to the airbox, or left towards the battery. what i was thinking is putting a plate vertical near the horn to block off the air from shooting to the right and forcing it all to the right . what do you guys think?
Old 07-27-05, 06:54 PM
FaceUT
Pole Position

This is a must read if you are doing the BFI. Petter Scott is the originator of the BFI.

Planetsoarer.com
Old 07-27-05, 07:11 PM
white ice
Rookie

thanks face ut, for some reason through my research i missed the part talking about sealing off the battery side. appreciate the help.i more quick ?, i have some scrap dynamat extreme lying around, would it work under the hood to help seal eveything?
Old 07-27-05, 07:23 PM
FaceUT
Pole Position

I used Lexan for my cover (Home Depot)

Lexan BFI

Small diameter tubing was splt to seal the top edge to the airbox.

I also picked up some pipe insulation at Home Depot (.99!) to fill in the areas where air would leak past the airbox.

Works great!

Also note in the earlier versions of Peter Scott's BFI he opened up the area under the radiator to create an air chamber that flowed across & under the headlight. I elected to forgo this as I was not working around air suspension & turbo piping as he was...

Dynamat may work for sealing areas... I found the temps to be cooler than you might think.
Old 07-27-05, 07:25 PM
Koma

You could use that but that's a little expensive. I'd suggest anything that isn't permeable and water proof. Lots of people used ABS plastic or corrufluate (sp?) it's plastic that's shaped into cardboard like patterns, the stuff they use on some signs. Don't use the dynamat that stuff is expensive.