Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

no idle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-05, 08:18 PM
mikevogel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question no idle?

im still having a problem with my car lexus sc300 188000 auto miles when i stop the cars check engine light will come on then drops down to like 300 rpms then just dies if it i hold the throttle at about 1,000 rpms the engine light comes off and runs fine. also i was driving down the highway about 60 mph i think it was at about 2800 rpms could be wrong that kinda sounds high but the car started jerking kinda it felt about like if you were driving with steady throttle and put your car in nuetral then back into drive. the rpms didnt change when it happend? please help its my only car and i have to make it to work and back . thanks for the help
Old 06-29-05, 06:29 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having similar problems right now on a 94 SC4 ~230K.
If I'm stopped sometimes the idle will blip up and down. Sometimes it will completely stall out. When driving on the highway under slightly harder throttle than normal acceleration, my car will jerk back and forth struggling to keep a steady RPM. When my car jerks back and forth the RPM move back and forth very quickly. It feels like my engine is choking for air.

My "fixes" (occasionally I still get the jerking on the highway but not to the extent it was before):
1. Check to see if your filter is dirty and needs to be replaced
2. Run fuel injector cleaner through your car a few times. (Not all at once, before each tank fillup)
3. See if you need a tune-up.

I've ran the fuel injector cleaner through a few times. First time I did it twice but the jerking came back. So I ran it another time recently, so far no major set backs. I cleaned my filter too (vacuumed it out and vacuumed the box)
I plan to get a full tune-up anyway.

By the way I always run Shell v-power through. I don't trust lower octanes and I like Shell's v-power because it does run cleaner.

If you do run the fuel injector cleaner it will still jerk for a while until some of the gas is run through the system. I even get a little better gas mileage now because I ran the cleaner through.

What I want to do is do some seafoam through the car. Get the car's innards cleaned out so I won't have any issues with being backed up.

Hope this helps a bit.