Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 started vibrating and shaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-05, 03:08 PM
p.hase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SC400 started vibrating and shaking

i had my back rotors (BREMBO) and pads (OEM) changed by my backyard dealer on friday. very good brakes now: rear = stock, front = LS400MK2 calipers from Gazi. finally i can brake like it should be with new calippers. the warped back rotors didnt allow it until now.

problem: 60 miles after repair and after passing an old blown oil smoking 3-series BMW going about 80mph on the highway/autobahn on my trip home the complete car and steering wheel started to vibrate and shake!!!

it became more and i slowed down and drove home with 50 mph: checked tires - but ok. i checked if the wheels are loose - but ok. i was very afraid - and took my LS430.

do you think this guy forgot to tighten some screws somewhere? or does the parking brake touch somewhere? did he tighten the rotors? did i loose a weight of my wheels?

what do you think out there?

thanks in advance and have a nice sunday!!!!!!!!

george/stuttgart
Old 06-26-05, 08:17 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by p.hase

do you think this guy forgot to tighten some screws somewhere? or does the parking brake touch somewhere? did he tighten the rotors? did i loose a weight of my wheels?
bingo, check the lugs first, then look for missing wheel weights. Probably nothing major - good luck.
Old 06-27-05, 03:23 PM
p.hase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default self-healing?

my backyard dealer checked everything - all screws tight. he did a test drive.

while "bedding" the parking brake once (exactly like lexus manual says) i found out that one inside of the new rotors is not 100% round. not a big deal - its just a parking brake. i dont know if its necessary to do this bedding like lexzs suggests frequently.

backyard dealer admitted he had tightened the parking brake a bit. probably this was "1 turn too much" and was scratched away on the autobahn and that this caused the shaking???

anyway i drove 100+ mph this afternoon and everything seems to be ok.

i keep you posted!
Old 06-27-05, 04:05 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by p.hase
my backyard dealer checked everything - all screws tight. he did a test drive.

while "bedding" the parking brake once (exactly like lexus manual says) i found out that one inside of the new rotors is not 100% round. not a big deal - its just a parking brake. i dont know if its necessary to do this bedding like lexzs suggests frequently.

backyard dealer admitted he had tightened the parking brake a bit. probably this was "1 turn too much" and was scratched away on the autobahn and that this caused the shaking???

anyway i drove 100+ mph this afternoon and everything seems to be ok.

i keep you posted!
Glad to hear it's working out for you.