Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So what actually breaks in our 5 spds?

Old 05-21-05, 08:17 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what actually breaks in our 5 spds?

I've searched and found no specific answers. Maybe those that have broken their trannies due to power can chime in. So.... what actually breaks in our trannys. Is it really due to the stress put on it by the power/torque made at a certain point? Or is it just because of wear and tear? Has anyone taken their broken trannys (due to power) apart? This random # of 400-550 whp is kind of broad as to what our W58s can "handle" for power. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, what breaks when we make too much power with them? Input shafts? output shafts? gears shearing? Forks? Rails? hmm? If we can figure out what the weaknesses are, we can fix them.
Old 05-21-05, 11:10 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Thats a very good question. I hear they can handle up to 500hp with no problems though. Just be good to them and they will be good to you. Spoil them with some good synthetic gear oil and a nice tranny cooler to cool the juices. But yeah..what breaks in our W58's?
Old 05-22-05, 12:47 AM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3rd gear syncro, with 512 WHP and a 12 sec pass!
Old 05-22-05, 12:50 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
3rd gear syncro, with 512 WHP and a 12 sec pass!

So did third just start grinding or did 3rd shear off, or did it break and get stuck in 3rd? I assume if it was just the synchro, it was just grinding/not going into 3rd.
Old 05-22-05, 01:58 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by guessd
I've searched and found no specific answers. Maybe those that have broken their trannies due to power can chime in. So.... what actually breaks in our trannys. Is it really due to the stress put on it by the power/torque made at a certain point? Or is it just because of wear and tear? Has anyone taken their broken trannys (due to power) apart? This random # of 400-550 whp is kind of broad as to what our W58s can "handle" for power. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, what breaks when we make too much power with them? Input shafts? output shafts? gears shearing? Forks? Rails? hmm? If we can figure out what the weaknesses are, we can fix them.
why try to fix it when you'd end up spending more money doing that than you would swapping over to the R154?
Old 05-22-05, 02:06 AM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

wouldnt go into 3rd. and he is anti 1JZ and R154 is no good to him . lol. it will hold good power if you dont shift really hard.
Old 05-22-05, 02:11 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Why fix it when theres a V160 available You have 188 to the wheels so you have nothing to worry about
Old 05-22-05, 07:59 AM
Gamer
Pole Position

Only 188 atw would worry me

Sorry, my poor attempt at humor at someone else's expense ... Feel free to fire away at me.
Old 05-22-05, 09:21 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gamer
Only 188 atw would worry me

Sorry, my poor attempt at humor at someone else's expense ... Feel free to fire away at me.

Its ok man.. I was humored by it
Old 05-22-05, 10:00 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Ha. Ha. Ha. Um... It's not like I'm assuming I'm worried that I'm going to break it with this slow pos the way it sits(stock at 188 slow whp). I know nothing about the R154 except that ?it comes with the 1JZ?. I wouldn't know hot to get ahold of one otherwise. Laugh all you want if you don't think I'm not going to make power; I don't just want 250(1jz)-500 like most of you guys on here... that'd be a waste of time to turbo it and still be slower than my last car. Sorry, I don't mean to come off as cocky, but I hate when people try to say that I'm all talk; my last car proved some of those people wrong. Pretty much all I'm looking for is a temporary (year or so) solution that I can use for a year or so with no launching, all dyno, and hwy pulls. I know it'll hold up on the dyno because my friend's did with 690 whp, but when it's putting it to the ground, that's a different story.

Last edited by CP_Ree; 05-22-05 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-22-05, 10:34 AM
Gamer
Pole Position

No problem man, no one was suggesting that you would not do what you say you will.

It was not directed at you personally, just as I said a poor attempt at humor and boredom.
Old 05-22-05, 01:09 PM
Five1OH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guessd
Ha. Ha. Ha. Um... It's not like I'm assuming I'm worried that I'm going to break it with this slow pos the way it sits(stock at 188 slow whp). I know nothing about the R154 except that ?it comes with the 1JZ?. I wouldn't know hot to get ahold of one otherwise. Laugh all you want if you don't think I'm not going to make power; I don't just want 250(1jz)-500 like most of you guys on here... that'd be a waste of time to turbo it and still be slower than my last car. Sorry, I don't mean to come off as cocky, but I hate when people try to say that I'm all talk; my last car proved some of those people wrong. Pretty much all I'm looking for is a temporary (year or so) solution that I can use for a year or so with no launching, all dyno, and hwy pulls. I know it'll hold up on the dyno because my friend's did with 690 whp, but when it's putting it to the ground, that's a different story.
The R154 comes in the mkiii supra turbo (7mgte) and the 5 spd toyota soarer (1jzgte)

IIRC, you can use the MKIII supra tranny in your sc300, but you will need a 1jz bell housing

will an MKIII supra 5spd LSD bolt into an sc300?
Attached Thumbnails So what actually breaks in our 5 spds?-tranny-info.jpg  
Old 05-22-05, 01:51 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Im not doubting you. I wasnt sure if you were refering to right now or in the future. Which is why I suggested the v160. Esp if you want to do highway runs. Who said all I wanted was 250-500hp? My goes is mid or high 10s. 500hp isnt going to do that...

But once again, the 1JZ can do ANYTHING the 2JZ can...... period.
Old 05-22-05, 07:44 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

If you are ok with doing your own wrenching and have acess to a press, cryo-treating is a cheaper option at about $2.50 per #. I have posted a email I recieved when I inquired about it to a company called 300Below.

Here's there website: www.300below.com

If you want a copy of my email PM me and I'll share it. It has been proven to make massive gains in material strength.
Old 05-22-05, 10:48 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by qtb33
If you are ok with doing your own wrenching and have acess to a press, cryo-treating is a cheaper option at about $2.50 per #. I have posted a email I recieved when I inquired about it to a company called 300Below.

Here's there website: www.300below.com

If you want a copy of my email PM me and I'll share it. It has been proven to make massive gains in material strength.
cheaper option, yes... but will it withstand the same kind of power as the R154 or V160? not even close

spend a little cash on something that will break anyways, or spend a little bit more on something that wont

I see R154s in junkyards go for $500 or so with warranties... you do the math... not directed at the thread-starter... but if you're not able to put out $1000 for a quality R154 swap, then you've got bigger problems...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So what actually breaks in our 5 spds?