Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Thinking About Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-05, 11:10 PM
PlatSilvSc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking About Exhaust

i have a little bit of cash saved, i want to get an exhaust. what will sound nice, deep and throaty on a '95 sc300? i dont want to pay money, and get the same sound, do i have to take of the resenators when i get exhaust? any input is appreciated! thanks.
Old 05-02-05, 12:53 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Search up JIC Magic, or you can get a custom exhaust made up
Old 05-02-05, 06:24 AM
PlatSilvSc
Rookie

i dont like the round can look, im looking for something that look like the stock mufflers, just chrome and deeper sound.
Old 05-02-05, 06:35 AM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PlatSilvSc
i dont like the round can look, im looking for something that look like the stock mufflers, just chrome and deeper sound.
search for people with Magnaflow on their SC. If you want something similar to stock, just chrome, and a little bit bigger tips, than thats the way to go-i forget which muffler it is, but you will find out upon searching, then you will need to have an exhaust guy run the piping. I would steer away from Borla, unless you want to pay some $$$ for a very stock looking and sounding system.

I have the JIC on my SC4 and it sounds and looks amazing, but I understand you are not into the round canister look.
Old 05-02-05, 07:26 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a little bit of cash saved, i want to get an exhaust. what will sound nice, deep and throaty on a '95 sc300? i dont want to pay money, and get the same sound, do i have to take of the resenators when i get exhaust? any input is appreciated! thanks.
Hey man, generally 6 cyl don't sound throaty. You would need an extra 2 cyl for that

Searching the forum you will find a bunch of different setups - including mine. I even posted pictures of it like 2 days ago.

If you want a "deep and throaty sound" then I strongly suggest removing the resonators - otherwise it won't sound any different than stock.

Get a custom X pipe, remove the resonators and run dual piping back to your stock exhaust ( if you want the stock look.)

Jonny
Old 05-02-05, 10:01 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Hey man, generally 6 cyl don't sound throaty. You would need an extra 2 cyl for that

Searching the forum you will find a bunch of different setups - including mine. I even posted pictures of it like 2 days ago.

If you want a "deep and throaty sound" then I strongly suggest removing the resonators - otherwise it won't sound any different than stock.

Get a custom X pipe, remove the resonators and run dual piping back to your stock exhaust ( if you want the stock look.)

Jonny
Or you can do what I did,
just add a y-pipe from the 3rd cat back and delete the resonators. Do this all with 2 1/4 inch piping and add some Magnaflow mufflers(Or any mufflers of your choice.). Nonetheless, it will sound very good. And I only spent about $400 - one of the best mods I've done so far. The only regret I have was not having this done earlier...
Old 05-02-05, 10:12 AM
PlatSilvSc
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
Or you can do what I did,
just add a y-pipe from the 3rd cat back and delete the resonators. Do this all with 2 1/4 inch piping and add some Magnaflow mufflers(Or any mufflers of your choice.). Nonetheless, it will sound very good. And I only spent about $400 - one of the best mods I've done so far. The only regret I have was not having this done earlier...
do you have any pictures of your setup? is it really loud w/o the resonators? because ive heard a g35 with no resonators and it had a ripppy sound to it i didnt like. what magnaflows do you have?
Old 05-02-05, 11:33 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

do you have any pictures of your setup? is it really loud w/o the resonators? because ive heard a g35 with no resonators and it had a ripppy sound to it i didnt like. what magnaflows do you have?
The sound of my exhaust set-up is not G35-Like at all....of course, I have the beefy 400 but I've heard 300's with Magnaflows and they sound just as great.
Deleting the resonators does not make it annoying loud at all. In fact, the exhaust note of my car sounds similar to the C5 Vette with Magnaflow up my street.

Anyway, here are some pics:
Magnaflow 14827 Single Walled Mufflers

A few more crappy pics:
Mags and Custom piping
Old 05-03-05, 10:34 AM
PlatSilvSc
Rookie

i think i made up my mind, magnaflow 14829's, 2.25" Y pipe, no resenators. what do you guys think?
wheres a cheap place to get 14829's, their $111 shipped on ebay each.
Old 05-03-05, 11:32 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

i think i made up my mind, magnaflow 14829's, 2.25" Y pipe, no resenators. what do you guys think?
wheres a cheap place to get 14829's, their $111 shipped on ebay each.
SEARCH!!! I believe the company is called www.hottexhausts.com

Jonny
Old 05-03-05, 12:14 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dx3
SEARCH!!! I believe the company is called www.hottexhausts.com

Jonny
Or you can go to PerformancePeddler.com and they have great deals. I got my Mufflers for $99 shipped each....
Old 05-03-05, 03:45 PM
PlatSilvSc
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
Or you can go to PerformancePeddler.com and they have great deals. I got my Mufflers for $99 shipped each....
both of those sites sell each for $111 shipped. is there any other opinions before i get these?
Old 05-03-05, 04:14 PM
LexusPunk
Pole Position

I dont know anything about it, but I know Streetkings setup is very nice and not canister/ perfectly round.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking About Exhaust-exhaust.jpg  

Last edited by LexusPunk; 05-03-05 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-03-05, 04:51 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

both of those sites sell each for $111 shipped. is there any other opinions before i get these?

Did you try searching like i said? If so you should find that have a discount code to get a discount.

Jonny
Old 05-03-05, 05:48 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3

Jonny
it's a SC3 dude, no x pipe needed unless you split it from the headers and then X it

i went with Magnaflow, removed stock pipes/resonators/cans from the 2nd cat back, put in 2.25 piping
it does not sound like 'troaty' V8 lol but it does not sound like a riced out you-know-what
at idle it is not loud, you can barely tell that it's not oem, but at WOT it sounds pretty good, lol especially when going under overpass or in a tunnel

Quick Reply: Thinking About Exhaust