Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Concerning '95-up SC300 intakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-05, 11:01 PM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concerning '95-up SC300 intakes

Disclaimer; I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to Lexus tuning so bear with me ^_^

Anyway, I'm about to purchase a '98 SC300, and if not that exact year, give or take a couple, but no earlier than 95. It seems wherever I look I find intakes available for only the pre-'95 SC's. And those are both for the V8 and the 6. I had thought Injen (or anyone else at that matter) made a newer SC intake, but just read that is only for the 430. Let me state here that I am not looking for a big power gain or anything like that, from just the intake, I just would like some sound. There aren't many "modded" SC's where I'm at unless you count the ones on dubs...

Now, I'm open to any suggestions or opinions on this. Could an intake from an older SC be modified to fit on a 95-plus with relative ease? And how about this BFI I have been hearing about? There are several other questions I have regarding other parts of the car such as suspension, but that's another story.

I would greatly appreciate any help to this matter, feel free to send me a PM with some advice if you already have an SC, or just follow up on this thread. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-05, 11:21 PM
RjRacing
Driver

My injen bolted right up.
Old 04-19-05, 12:16 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RjRacing
My injen bolted right up.
the injen heat soaks & doesn't perform as well as the stock system BFI'd
Old 04-19-05, 01:01 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I custom made mine and slapped a CARB number on it. Had to cut a 4" hole through the sheet metal so I can fit my Custom Cold Air Intake. The piping is 3" and attached to the end is an HKS Metal Flow filter which makes my car scream at wide open throttle. CAI makes cars scream.
Old 04-19-05, 01:46 AM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
I custom made mine and slapped a CARB number on it. Had to cut a 4" hole through the sheet metal so I can fit my Custom Cold Air Intake. The piping is 3" and attached to the end is an HKS Metal Flow filter which makes my car scream at wide open throttle. CAI makes cars scream.
Thanks for the input guys. Like I said I'm not looking for a serious power adder in my intake, just a mean sound. I might just go with the Injen, but I'm still keeping all options open. Thanks.

--
Still the same...
Old 04-19-05, 07:54 AM
V8RWDHP
Driver

The 96 and up OBD2 intakes are different I believe. I think, from what I have heard, some late 95's also. The earlier intakes wouldn't work on my 96 400. Not sure about the 300. Either way, BFI is supposed to be the best option.
Old 04-19-05, 03:42 PM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Originally Posted by V8RWDHP
The 96 and up OBD2 intakes are different I believe. I think, from what I have heard, some late 95's also. The earlier intakes wouldn't work on my 96 400. Not sure about the 300. Either way, BFI is supposed to be the best option.

Concerning the BFI, can anyone tell me how they feel about their cars after installing one? I'm talking about if you are satisfied with the sound, slight gain in acceleration, or whatever. The only things I know about the BFI are from reading details on installation on planetsoarer.com. I also heard a sound clip, and it sounded mean. I just may go that route if there are many people here that swear by it. It could possibly save me some money, AND make me a little more power as well.

Now, on to looking at catbacks... ^_^

--
Still the same