Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC exhaust on GS???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-05, 05:20 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
Question SC exhaust on GS???

OK. This is my first time posting in the SC forum, hope you guys can help.

I like the tone of SC400 exhaust, kind of a like deep but low groan when you accelerate. I don't want it any louder than that. My question is if the SC400 exhausts can fit for the 2nd GS300?
Are there any difference with the SC300?
When I hear the 2nd gen GS exhaust, it seems much quieter than the SC's.
Am I so crazy???
If the tone is different and can be swapped, who's got one to sell, preferably 95 and newer???

I'll think I'll wait to see if it fits first b4 I'll post in the classifieds. Any help is mucho appreciated.

I did the search but I couldn't find anything, unless I retardly didn't know how.
Old 03-15-05, 06:00 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe the mufflers are the same for the 300 and the 400 seeing as the aftermarket borla exhaust is the same. but i dont think it would fit a gs because of the bend right before the muffler. but if you really want the muffler and the 300 is the same as the 400, im selling mine in a week or two when i get my exhaust.
Old 03-15-05, 08:53 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The exhaust are different. I know this because I had an aristo (GS) exhaust that was suppose to be a soarer exhaust... Tried to install and nope... Wouldn't go... Like said before the bend before the muffler is diff.
Old 03-16-05, 09:22 AM
GS3Tek

Question

Thank you for the responses southernsc and tommyd

Well, the answer seems to be "No", but to make sure again since I really haven't crawled down there to see the difference.

So are these the bends that both of you are referring

pictures taken from jblex and davegs4...............hope I don't get in trouble for this
Attached Thumbnails SC exhaust on GS???-exhaustgs.jpg  
Old 03-16-05, 03:12 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you know that putting a SC400 exhaust on your GS300 will not make it sound like an SC400.
It will probably make it sound somewhat like the SC300.
Make sure you like the sound of the SC300 more than your GS before you start this project.

~Alan
Old 03-16-05, 03:16 PM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe
Hope you know that putting a SC400 exhaust on your GS300 will not make it sound like an SC400.
It will probably make it sound somewhat like the SC300.
Make sure you like the sound of the SC300 more than your GS before you start this project.

~Alan
Thanks for the tip. The GS is pretty quiet, not noticeable. In the SC, it's more noticeable but still quiet, which I like and trying to achieve. I'm still trying to see if there's still a way
Old 03-16-05, 03:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Thanks for the tip. The GS is pretty quiet, not noticeable. In the SC, it's more noticeable but still quiet, which I like and trying to achieve. I'm still trying to see if there's still a way
GS3Tek.

Absolutely no problems on the pic, help yourself for stuff like this! I only get torqued when somebody steals pictures to sell my car stuff on ebay (when they don't own the part or my stuff).

The point that Alan is trying to make is this... it's not just the exhaust that is different on the two cars, it is the engine that is pushing the exhaust gasses through the muffler that is different. You won't get anywhere near the same sound from an I6 like the GS300 has vs the V8 that the SC400 sounds. You're barking up the wrong tree IMO and need to focus on what other exhaust systems sound like on cars like yours with your same engine.

Have you checked out the LGW exhaust competion? Download the one for the I6

http://www.lexusgonewild.com/videos.shtml
Old 03-16-05, 04:10 PM
GS3Tek

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
GS3Tek.

Absolutely no problems on the pic, help yourself for stuff like this! I only get torqued when somebody steals pictures to sell my car stuff on ebay (when they don't own the part or my stuff).

The point that Alan is trying to make is this... it's not just the exhaust that is different on the two cars, it is the engine that is pushing the exhaust gasses through the muffler that is different. You won't get anywhere near the same sound from an I6 like the GS300 has vs the V8 that the SC400 sounds. You're barking up the wrong tree IMO and need to focus on what other exhaust systems sound like on cars like yours with your same engine.

Have you checked out the LGW exhaust competion? Download the one for the I6

http://www.lexusgonewild.com/videos.shtml
Thank you for the pictures and the helpful informations DaveGS4
I like the way how the SC3/4 sounds and trying to keep it close to stock, but will have to drop this idea

Thanks for the download too.