Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

turbo with stock exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-05, 01:24 PM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo with stock exhaust system?

Is it possible (i know it's bad) to go turbo with the 3in downpipe and midpipe but keep the rest of the exhaust system stock? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Old 03-09-05, 01:42 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not if the cats are gutted

stock cats would ruin high end performance and i guess overall, but it can be done.

if you have turbo your precat should be gone n/e ways cuz of your dp (there's problem number 1 solved).

and it wouldn't cost you much to get/make a custom exhaust which would be your best bet from around $250-500.
Old 03-09-05, 02:12 PM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

thanks for the quick reply! I live in illinois so there is emmisions testing here. Is it possible to then keep at least the main cat, or will the midpipe replace it? I need to know if I will pass emissions going turbo and whether or not I will have to spend more money on a custom exhaust system. (Looking to boost only in 7-8psi range). Should I post my turbo set up here or start a new thread...
Old 03-09-05, 02:12 PM
AllBoutDaZ
Lead Lap

yea a cat back exhaust eiother aftermarket or custom will always be better
they wil give you better preformance
Old 03-09-05, 02:22 PM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

of course custom exhaust will be better...but I am on a tight budget and would like to know if the stock system would hold up under mild boost. Also I hate loud exhaust, I want this car to be a sleeper so if there is a cheap alternative please let me know.
Old 03-09-05, 04:27 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you cant afford to do something the right way, dont do it at all.
Old 03-09-05, 04:48 PM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mteele
If you cant afford to do something the right way, dont do it at all.
That has many interpretations...

If your saying the right way of doing it is to remove the cats, then no I will never do it. All I'm asking is if the stock exhaust will hold up under mild boost. From your philosophy, then everyone will have a equal length manifold cause it's so much better than a log, and bla blah blah. If you are not going to answer my question with something meaningful then please do not respond. Not everyone has all the money to pay for the best option. If it won't work, then tell me it won't work. Or tell me what I might need to do to run a turbo without removing my cats and keeping the stock sound and look without spending a grand on the perfect custon exhaust setup. Sorry if I'm coming off a little too harsh about your response it's just that researching on the options when going turbo is causing me a lot of headaches.
Old 03-09-05, 07:19 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chitwnsazn
thanks for the quick reply! I live in illinois so there is emmisions testing here. Is it possible to then keep at least the main cat, or will the midpipe replace it? I need to know if I will pass emissions going turbo and whether or not I will have to spend more money on a custom exhaust system. (Looking to boost only in 7-8psi range). Should I post my turbo set up here or start a new thread...
emissions?

hey buddy no way in hell are you going to pass ANY emissions test with a 2jz NA-T (unless you add on 6+ more cats on, but it costs a grip to borrow and is illegal anyways)!!!! so you might as well get a cat back. sucks to be you, but isn't it so great that you'll atleast be fast?
Old 03-09-05, 08:32 PM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by reamemiya
emissions?

hey buddy no way in hell are you going to pass ANY emissions test with a 2jz NA-T (unless you add on 6+ more cats on, but it costs a grip to borrow and is illegal anyways)!!!! so you might as well get a cat back. sucks to be you, but isn't it so great that you'll atleast be fast?
I remember asking a member a while back on the chicago lexus club forum if you can pass emissions with mild boost and the response was yes. This isn't cali but I can be wrong. I tried to search for the old thread but for some reason theres only like 14 threads listed in the chicago region of clublexus.
Old 03-09-05, 08:44 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im prety sure that the soarer has the same exact exhaust, and it comes with the 1jz which is twin turbo, so i dont see why it wouldnt work. although, i really have no idea if its the same, but i think it is.
Old 03-09-05, 09:03 PM
ajs14
Driver

Originally Posted by chitwnsazn
of course custom exhaust will be better...but I am on a tight budget and would like to know if the stock system would hold up under mild boost. Also I hate loud exhaust, I want this car to be a sleeper so if there is a cheap alternative please let me know.
You can make your car a sleeper with the stock exhaust. Just buy an electronic cutout with a y-pipe to the floor/side and switch it open and closed as you please. If you want to retain the cat for emissions, you can mount it right before the car. I'm selling mine (still) if you're interested, PM me.
Old 03-10-05, 09:53 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

okay... here's what you can do

buy an aftermarket cat (catco, random technologies, etc...) and go ahead and custom fab it into custom piping.... then you can use your stock mufflers (i'd try and stay away from the stock piping) you'll have good performance (albeit not the best) but still look stock, and not as loud). The turbo itself acts as a muffler... so don't worry about being too loud.

and in the state of california (last time i checked at least) its legal to turbo your car so long as you don't remove any original emissions equipment. Now whether you'll pass smog is entirely dependant upon your air/fuel tuning. The reason why a lot don't pass going NA-T is because they usually run really rich. But since you say you're on a budget.. the only way that'll happen is if you use an ellaborate method of fuel tuning (aka EMS)...

You can try running high octane gas, try to run as lean as possible without any harm to your engine, and make sure your cats are warmed up (and cross you fingers) but you chances of passing without an EMS to tune for passing will be slim.
Old 03-10-05, 10:34 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ummagawd
okay... here's what you can do

buy an aftermarket cat (catco, random technologies, etc...) and go ahead and custom fab it into custom piping.... then you can use your stock mufflers (i'd try and stay away from the stock piping) you'll have good performance (albeit not the best) but still look stock, and not as loud). The turbo itself acts as a muffler... so don't worry about being too loud.

and in the state of california (last time i checked at least) its legal to turbo your car so long as you don't remove any original emissions equipment. Now whether you'll pass smog is entirely dependant upon your air/fuel tuning. The reason why a lot don't pass going NA-T is because they usually run really rich. But since you say you're on a budget.. the only way that'll happen is if you use an ellaborate method of fuel tuning (aka EMS)...

You can try running high octane gas, try to run as lean as possible without any harm to your engine, and make sure your cats are warmed up (and cross you fingers) but you chances of passing without an EMS to tune for passing will be slim.
of course it's illegal! the first thing you take off is the precat and put in a downpipe (tampering with any emission parts is illegal). i'm sure about everything in the turbo kit is for road use only.
Old 03-11-05, 12:49 AM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by reamemiya
of course it's illegal! the first thing you take off is the precat and put in a downpipe (tampering with any emission parts is illegal). i'm sure about everything in the turbo kit is for road use only.
well for me being in illinois and being obdI, they only check the smog test and there is no visual inspection unlike california.
Old 03-11-05, 07:13 AM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

you live in chicago and you are worried about emissisions?
you do realize that you can pay people off right?

Quick Reply: turbo with stock exhaust system?