Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Malfunction Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-05, 02:07 AM
markie4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Malfunction Light

Recently the malfunction hazard light came on, and I went to Lexus to have the problem diagnosed. The service consultant told me that there is a carbon build up in my intake manifolds, and that this caused a burnout of my EGR value and temperature guage. When I asked him how this could have occurred, he said it just happens over time. I am wondering if this is something typical to this car, and exactly why this happened? I would like to prevent this problem in the future before repairing the damage. I also do not have a catalytic converter in my car, and I am unsure if that could have affected the intake manifolds. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-05, 11:09 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have an egr assembly, can sell for 60 shipped if you need it.
Old 03-13-05, 01:28 AM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

egr malfunction causing engine service lamp is when ecu do not see at certian conditions (warm engile, light crusing) that hot exhaust gases do not flow to intake manifold. It measure by temperature probe that should be hot from hot exhaust gases passing it.
you can:
replace egr system or block it at all.
for ecu you will have normal simple resistor 10k-ohm, 1/2 watt and you put it in harness in place old temp probe. You will NEVER EVER have egr malfunction code from ecu (that is 71 error code).
next simple put blocking plate in place where egr is connected do intake manifold. That prevent form hot exhaust gases passing to intake manifold (that is for case because when egr is not energized it should be off at all). Next you can remove all egr junk and all that snakes pipes and your engine compartment will look much nicer.
so two things: resistor (cost about $0.1) and home made plate from thinn stainless steel plate.
that is all.
Jerry