Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What leaks oil above the water pump??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-05, 11:42 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What leaks oil above the water pump??

I've been searching for a couple of days and still can't find a definitive answer. What leaks oil on the 92 SC300's above the WP? I've replaced the distributor o-ring and the valve cover gaskets already. I checked the cam seals and they're fine. I thought if it was a front crank seal leak that the noticable oil would be lower on the engine?

When I pop the hood and face the engine bay I see a skinny stream of oil coming down the lower left side of the timing cover and it continues down onto the water pump. Where the hell is this coming from???? Grrrrrr!!! This is frustrating as I already bought the cam seals and the crank seal and it doesn't appear that those are bad...at least from what I can see...anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-15-05, 01:11 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
I've been searching for a couple of days and still can't find a definitive answer. What leaks oil on the 92 SC300's above the WP? I've replaced the distributor o-ring and the valve cover gaskets already. I checked the cam seals and they're fine. I thought if it was a front crank seal leak that the noticable oil would be lower on the engine?

When I pop the hood and face the engine bay I see a skinny stream of oil coming down the lower left side of the timing cover and it continues down onto the water pump. Where the hell is this coming from???? Grrrrrr!!! This is frustrating as I already bought the cam seals and the crank seal and it doesn't appear that those are bad...at least from what I can see...anyone have any ideas?
take off the plastic cover and see if you can trace it.
Old 02-15-05, 02:03 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rscott
take off the plastic cover and see if you can trace it.
Did that and couldn't trace it...too much gook! I guess I have to get the engine steam cleaned or pressure washed and look for the leakage after

We did find out that the sputtering I was experiencing was cuased by a chipped spark plug...replaced all 6 plugs and now the car idles smooth as silk. Also got the EGR valve cleaned out but the CEL came back on like 20 miles later I guess that means I need a new modulator (again).

Last edited by mikeloc24; 02-15-05 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-15-05, 02:56 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Take some Brak-Kleen (in the green can) or any NON-CHLORINATED brake cleaner and clean the gook off. Then start the engine and see where it's coming from. Are you sure your cam seal is OK?
Old 02-15-05, 03:23 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeremyp111
Take some Brak-Kleen (in the green can) or any NON-CHLORINATED brake cleaner and clean the gook off. Then start the engine and see where it's coming from. Are you sure your cam seal is OK?
I'll try that J, thanks bro. As far as the cam seals yeah, they'e straight. When we took the timing cover off there were no signs of leakage anywhere near the cams (the wheels that the timing belt goes over). Will (AllBoutDaZ) stuck his fingers under the cams and they came out dry as a bone. I was also told the front crankshaft is lower on the engine than where I'm seeing the oil, so supposedly it can't be the front crank seal either. I'm stumped because those are the most common oil leaks in the front of the engine (distributor 0-ring, valve cover gaskets, cam seals, and front crank seal). This blows....majorly...
Old 02-15-05, 03:54 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Hey man, don't worry too much. Once you clean it up the leak should be pretty obvious to spot.
Old 02-15-05, 04:10 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeremyp111
Hey man, don't worry too much. Once you clean it up the leak should be pretty obvious to spot.
I know man, I shouldn't stress but I just hate my car having issues. It drives fine and the leak isn't horrendous...I'm just tired of little crap popping up every damn month. But I refuse to drive a Civic!!!
Old 02-15-05, 04:46 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it could be the area where the valve caps meet the head, there is some fipg(sealant) that is needed.

the sealant is needed on 4 areas for the valve gasket too.
Old 02-15-05, 04:52 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by aliga
it could be the area where the valve caps meet the head, there is some fipg(sealant) that is needed.

the sealant is needed on 4 areas for the valve gasket too.
Tell me more!
Old 02-15-05, 08:24 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

can someone scan the factory manual on the valve cover gasket install, and cam caps.

sorry mike, i dont have the manual, i just saw some pics of it at my brothers shop computer.