Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 starter solenoid location??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 09:07 PM
Caanon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 starter solenoid location??

Need to know where the starter solenoid on a '92 SC400 is located, I'm hoping it's not with the starter under the intake manifold.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-05, 10:23 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

what are you trying to accomplish
Old 01-14-05, 10:48 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes its attached to the starter...on the SC4 you'll have to remove all that crap to get to the starter

Good luck
Old 01-15-05, 03:13 AM
Caanon
Rookie

Originally Posted by inovashn
what are you trying to accomplish
may as well ask...what other things could cause this problem:

Get in car, everything works (AC/radio/headlights etc) turn key...nothing happens, if the door is open can hear a click from towards engine bay.
Fuses including the 150amp one appear fine.

Tried turning key at least a dozen times....It did this once before when car wasn't all the way in park so I tried moving shifter to make sure that wasn't it.

After I checked fuses and may have pushed on them some (but the 150 amp is bolted in, this shouldn't matter?) and looked over battery connections got in and it started...but it took longer to turn over than usual, especially since the engine was still warm. Later the car started twice normally.
Old 01-15-05, 09:29 AM
stock300
Driver

My wife's 95 LS400 had similar problems as you've described with no starter response or just a clicking noise. I was able to circumvent the problem for a while by installing a new battery, starter relay, and even a new alternator. I also cleaned the terminals, installed a new ground strap, and tightened all connections. The problem came back after a few weeks. I finally bit the bullet and had the starter replaced. I usually do my own work but changing the starter is no easy job since it's buried under the intake chamber, etc.. A quick peek at the shop manual will give you an idea of what's involved. The dealer here in Florida wanted about $1000 for replacing the starter with a rebuilt. I went with a a garage in Melbourne that specializes in imports only. Since the LS had 110,000 miles on it, I also decided to have them change the timing belt, water pump, idler bearings, oil seals, hoses, etc. Total was $1600 after taxes. I'm a little nervous about not using the dealer but I saved a lot of money (at least in the short term). Warranty for 1 year or 12,00 miles. It looks like this starter problem is common on Early Lexus V-8's.
Old 01-15-05, 05:49 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was horrified when I first realized where the starter was.
Mine had begun to do something different; it was beginning to stay on after the key had been released. I've had the problem before on a much older car, knew that it was just going to get worse, replaced the starter. Nothing like frantically pulling at the battery terminal while your starter is turning away, smoking, and I didn't want to experience that again.
I took advantage of the time while the starter was being rebuilt by an industrial generator shop, and cleaned up the intake ports with a Dremel tool, so I could at least get something else out of all that work.
Good luck with yours.
Old 01-18-05, 10:53 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

I got an article on how to replace a starter. I think its located here www.lextreme.com/starter.html
Old 11-28-14, 01:32 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

my starter won't click or do anything at all, just my dash lights dim and nohting else happens. anyone got any idea what it could be? i've tried a newer battery from another car and it still didn't work. then once i put my own battery back in the car started, then got home and hasn't started again.