Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ATTN: 5-speed guys with loose/notchy shifts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 10:45 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

yeah, and i put some silicone on the bushings for lube
Old 01-14-05, 10:46 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes the white part replaces the yellow bushing, and feel free to get all the grease off, as soon as you stick it back in, tranny fluid will cover it again. But I would recommend putting some grease on the new bushing

PS. inovashn, yours looks real bad, worse than mine was!!
Old 01-14-05, 10:51 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

yep that was a mess. now its all good for another 10 years.
Old 01-15-05, 10:24 AM
hwallen172
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I was not able to disassemble my shifter, I don't believe these parts will fit on my 1995 based upon what I was able to see. On my car, the metal piece held in place with the 4 bolts was flat on top and did not have a flange. It didn't come in contact with the shifter ball directly, but its purpose is to hold a white, segmented plastic bushing in place. This white bushing completely encircles the shifter ball and is held together by a plastic ring. I think this white bushing is the primary structural support for the shifter ball, and while I think I may have been able to disassemble the white bushing by pulling off the plastic ring, I really wanted to drive the car today so I didn't.

I think this thread goes into the difference between the shifter assemblies in some detail:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=shifter+w58

My shifter assembly looks like the one on the left in the first picture.

Even though I wasn't able to replace my shifter bushings, I did give the current assembly a shot of lithium grease and gave the console a thorough cleaning so I'm pretty happy with the overall experience.
Old 01-15-05, 03:02 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hwallen172
Although I was not able to disassemble my shifter, I don't believe these parts will fit on my 1995 based upon what I was able to see. On my car, the metal piece held in place with the 4 bolts was flat on top and did not have a flange. It didn't come in contact with the shifter ball directly, but its purpose is to hold a white, segmented plastic bushing in place. This white bushing completely encircles the shifter ball and is held together by a plastic ring. I think this white bushing is the primary structural support for the shifter ball, and while I think I may have been able to disassemble the white bushing by pulling off the plastic ring, I really wanted to drive the car today so I didn't.

I think this thread goes into the difference between the shifter assemblies in some detail:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=shifter+w58

My shifter assembly looks like the one on the left in the first picture.

Even though I wasn't able to replace my shifter bushings, I did give the current assembly a shot of lithium grease and gave the console a thorough cleaning so I'm pretty happy with the overall experience.
If you check the link above... the tranny on the left is a 95-97, the tranny on the right is a 92-94.
Oh such fun memories

:-)

I opened up my 95 tranny as you can see in the pic below. I don't think you can replace the part without dropping out the tranny. There might be some linkage you could tighten just under your shifter assembly which might help?, if that makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails ATTN: 5-speed guys with loose/notchy shifts...-w58-95.jpg  

Last edited by SDSC300; 01-15-05 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-15-05, 03:50 PM
FaceUT
Pole Position

So, out of curiousity - Has anyone driven both a 92-94 and a 95+ 5 speed? Any noticable differences in the shifting? Shorter throw? smoother?

Also, I have got to wonder how much of the tranny oil actually gets up to the seat & bushing in the 92-94 design. You would think circulation of the gear oil would wash the plastic stuff down into the tranny as opposed to leaving a thick mess all over the base of the shifter. The stuff I cleaned up felt like grease. What do you think?

And finally, as I happen to own a 93 Toyota Pickup, I am thinking of doing this fix there as well. Can anyone confirm that the trannys are identical in the design of the seat and bushing?
Old 01-15-05, 03:56 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Originally Posted by FaceUT
So, out of curiousity - Has anyone driven both a 92-94 and a 95+ 5 speed? Any noticable differences in the shifting? Shorter throw? smoother?

Also, I have got to wonder how much of the tranny oil actually gets up to the seat & bushing in the 92-94 design. You would think circulation of the gear oil would wash the plastic stuff down into the tranny as opposed to leaving a thick mess all over the base of the shifter. The stuff I cleaned up felt like grease. What do you think?

And finally, as I happen to own a 93 Toyota Pickup, I am thinking of doing this fix there as well. Can anyone confirm that the trannys are identical in the design of the seat and bushing?
I have a 92 5spd, I went with a friend to look at a 95 5spd. The throw did seem shorter on it and I didn't drive it but it seemed to glide into gears a lot smoother than mine did. Now I did just do the fix on mine so my gearbox is tighter and it could have been that. If he gets the car I'll drive it and see how it really feels compared to mine.
Old 01-17-05, 07:10 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Dang, so it looks like I won't be able to do this on my nine five. My shifter is tight and smooth for the most part but the car is a decade old and I'm sure it could be better. Wish I would have known about this when I had the tranny dropped for my clutch, I'll keep it in mind next time.
Old 01-20-05, 07:53 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Mine was just done today, my mechanic opted to do it for free after regreasing my bushings because he was bored. Took him about 15 minutes, the hardest part was taking out the old white/yellow discolored peice. I definitely felt an immediate improvement. Shifts are much smoother now. I think this is the best thing I ever did with $15.
Old 01-20-05, 08:10 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

i just picked up the two parts today from the toyota dealer.. i will be working on it tomorrow when i get home from work. i will post pics and i hope help is available if needed because the last time i remember i couldn't reach all four bolts.. well, let you know for sure tomorrow. thanks aerostar
Old 01-20-05, 08:20 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by 1993SCTT
i just picked up the two parts today from the toyota dealer.. i will be working on it tomorrow when i get home from work. i will post pics and i hope help is available if needed because the last time i remember i couldn't reach all four bolts.. well, let you know for sure tomorrow. thanks aerostar
Not to hijack a thread but I just noticed you got a new avatar 1993SCTT.
Old 01-20-05, 08:30 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

lol yeah, i came home today after walking in the cold for about 20 minutes and my nose was all runny so i went to my sink to blow a snot rocket and my snot just hung there.. lol it was sooo sticky so i ran to my camera to take a pic real quick.

http://fototime.com/60EA1DBEF702F38/orig.jpg

Last edited by newyorksc; 01-20-05 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-20-05, 08:47 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

lol yeah, i came home today after walking in the cold for about 20 minutes and my nose was all runny so i went to my sink to blow a snot rocket and my snot just hung there.. lol it was sooo sticky so i ran to my camera to take a pic real quick.

http://fototime.com/60EA1DBEF702F38/orig.jpg

ROFL!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-05, 05:22 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

snot rocket
LMFAO!!

Dude... That's gross.

Nice hangtime tho.
Old 01-21-05, 01:32 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

lol, hey indelible or aerostar, or whoever did this DIY, how do you take off that bushing?

im in the middle of doing the DIY right now, everything went well with the shifter seat, itook some pics.. will post when done, but that do you take that bushing off?

im pulling and tugging and it doesnt want to come off.. what should i do

Quick Reply: ATTN: 5-speed guys with loose/notchy shifts...