Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ATTN: 5-speed guys with loose/notchy shifts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-05, 07:01 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFiend
Does this stop the small shifter vibration at cruising speeds?
LexusFiend
Noo that would be your tranny mount probably, another pretty easy job and the part is only about $50
Old 01-09-05, 07:06 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

i'm going to do this next weekend.. but when i dropped my clutch, which 4 bolts are you talking about? i think in step 8 or 9 you mention.. remove the four bolt.. when i was taking out my tranny.. i could only reach two bottom bolts to remove the shifter, but the other two were too far in there so i had to remove driveshaft and push back the tranny a little bit.. is this the four bolts your talking about?
Old 01-09-05, 07:15 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1993SCTT
i'm going to do this next weekend.. but when i dropped my clutch, which 4 bolts are you talking about? i think in step 8 or 9 you mention.. remove the four bolt.. when i was taking out my tranny.. i could only reach two bottom bolts to remove the shifter, but the other two were too far in there so i had to remove driveshaft and push back the tranny a little bit.. is this the four bolts your talking about?
Hmm, well Im talking about the two sets of four 10mm bolts bolting the shift lever in place onto the tranny. I was able to reach all of these bolts once I removed the trim around the radio, and apparently everyone else was too. Are you talking maybe about the bolts that hold the shifter housing to the top of the tranny?
Old 01-10-05, 02:25 PM
FaceUT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys - I just came in to comment on the socket size you need to drain the manual tranny of gear oil. It's a 24 mm. (Gave me an excuse to buy some 1/2" drive tools)
Time to order some Redline.

And maybe I am reading this wrong, but 1993SCTT sounds like he's dropping stuff from underneath the car. I was able to reach everything I needed from inside the car with no problem. Just had to pull that fat rubber boot back - and the 4 longer 10mm bolts were on the corners. The 4 shorter 10mm bolts are under the skin tight smaller boot at the very base of the shifter.

Aero, when I repacked everything I used some high temp wheel bearing grease I had laying around. Seemed to work fine. What did you use? I drove all over today and if anything, my tranny is getting smoother!
Old 01-10-05, 03:28 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FaceUT
Aero, when I repacked everything I used some high temp wheel bearing grease I had laying around. Seemed to work fine. What did you use? I drove all over today and if anything, my tranny is getting smoother!
Actually I didnt use any grease on the seat, but a little on the inside of the bushing. I had actually asked the guy at the Toyota dealership if I should grease the parts and he said no. Greasing the seat is pretty pointless, but I think a little grease on the bushing should help. And thanks for double checking the 24mm bolt.

As for the type of grease, I used some semi-synthetic good grease, but Im sure cheap wheel bearing grease or white lithium grease would do the trick too
Old 01-11-05, 04:18 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm, I didnt grease mine, but hopefully the oil from the tranny will give it enough lube.
Old 01-11-05, 10:52 PM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so did anyone find out if the 96 w58 use the same parts?
thanks
Old 01-14-05, 03:51 PM
hwallen172
Driver

I'm trying this on a 1995 and I'm having some trouble getting the shifter out. Every thing is unbolted as per the instructions, but the shifter will pull up about a half an inch and then stops. It's in neutral and I've pulled pretty hard. Is there something I'm missing? Has anyone done this on a 1995 model?

Thanks,
Wiley
Old 01-14-05, 07:22 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

for all of you that want pictures i did my bushing change tonight along with some 9005 low beams. the rubber boots were somewhat of a b!t(H to put back together and screw back down, but patience will show you the way. I'll post pics when i get back home.
Old 01-14-05, 10:25 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

nice job. i guess i don't have to post my pictures after all. they're almost identical
Attached Thumbnails ATTN: 5-speed guys with loose/notchy shifts...-100_0125.jpg  

Last edited by inovashn; 01-14-05 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-14-05, 10:26 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

vredniykot, Awesome man, yours looked eactly like mine did. And yes, technically they are listed for a truck, because guess what, the early 90's Toyota Truck used the W58's and for some reason these parts are listed for that truck. And hwallen172, thanks for being the first to try a 95 and up tranny. I guess this WILL NOT work on the 95 and up's. I think I read somewhere that th actual shifter lever is bolted on to the tranny, so it takes a little more work to remove the shifter, and even then, I dont know if it uses these parts. Thanks alot for trying, and if you could figure out how to remove the shifter, please let us know if your tranny has this bushing/seat
Old 01-14-05, 10:39 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

you know that part thats black and camo green, you put the black part facing down and the green facing up?
Old 01-14-05, 10:41 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

yeah the green goes up
Attached Thumbnails ATTN: 5-speed guys with loose/notchy shifts...-100_0138.jpg  
Old 01-14-05, 10:42 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

lot of crud in that dismembered mess
Attached Thumbnails ATTN: 5-speed guys with loose/notchy shifts...-100_0139.jpg  
Old 01-14-05, 10:43 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Does the white part go on the end of the shifter, replacing the yellow thing shown in the above pic? Also, is it ok to clean off all that gunk off the shifter, or would we need to re-grease/oil it?

Quick Reply: ATTN: 5-speed guys with loose/notchy shifts...