Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NEED HELP ASAP - Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 01:34 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NEED HELP ASAP - Clutch

Hey guys, so I started on my clutch yesterday, and was doing great until I got to the exhaust (alot of rusted bolts), so afetr cutting the bolts, I dropped the exhaust, took out the starter and all tha stuff, but ran out of time before the sun went down. SO now today, I got all the bellhousing bolts off (not that hard at all actually), and I got the driveshaft center bearing bolts off (the four 14mm bolts). But I still can not remove the intermediate shaft from the rest of the driveshaft, or the driveshaft yoke from the tranny. SO, I need to know how I am going to either: 1.) Disconnect the first part of the DS from the second part, or 2.) Pull the yoke out of the tranny. I CAN NOT remove the bolts connecting the DS to the pumpkin no matter how hard I try, so I need to find another way of doing this. Also, how much will I have to pull the tranny back before I am able to drop it? Thanks alot guys, I need help on this as soon as I can since Im doing it as we speak.

Thanks again

Heres some pics of whats goin on:

How do I separate this part!!???!?!:

Last edited by /Aerostar\; 12-28-04 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 02:40 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the driveshaft bushings come out fairly easy???

I have to replace mine soon and it looks like the first picture says it all....

Anyway, you have presented a very good question - may help others if they wanted to change out rear ends or add an LSD...
Old 12-28-04, 02:50 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
Did the driveshaft bushings come out fairly easy???

I have to replace mine soon and it looks like the first picture says it all....

Anyway, you have presented a very good question - may help others if they wanted to change out rear ends or add an LSD...
Which driveshaft bushings do you mean? I think the bushings are inside the little thing Im trying to seprarate so I have not accessed them yet, haha thats what I need to know how to do
Old 12-28-04, 03:19 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 3 bolts holding the driveshaft to the differential.
Undo those 3 (while supporting the DS so it doesn't fall on you.
lower the rear part of the DS so it clears the differential and pull the whole thing out of the tranny.
No need to separate the 2 pieces of the DS (Pain in the ***).

Good luck!

~Alan

EDIT: Just re-read your post and realised you said you CAN'T remove the 3 bolts I'm talking about.
I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to do it.
If the problem is that the driveshaft is rotating, not letting you get leverage, pull up your e-brake.
If they really, really, really don't want to come out, torch them for a few seconds to get them nice and warm, then try again.

Last edited by SPORTcoupe; 12-28-04 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 03:25 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe
There are 3 bolts holding the driveshaft to the differential.
Undo those 3 (while supporting the DS so it doesn't fall on you.
lower the rear part of the DS so it clears the differential and pull the whole thing out of the tranny.
No need to separate the 2 pieces of the DS (Pain in the ***).

Good luck!

~Alan

EDIT: Just re-read your post and realised you said you CAN'T remove the 3 bolts I'm talking about.
I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to do it.
If the problem is that the driveshaft is rotating, not letting you get leverage, pull up your e-brake.
If they really, really, really don't want to come out, torch them for a few seconds to get them nice and warm, then try again.
Thanks for your help, I guess those 3 bolts are my only hope Im letting them soak in liquid wrench over night and me and my friend will go at em in the mo'nin. Do you know of any other way to seperate the driveshaft?
Old 12-28-04, 03:26 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

If you're really set on separating the DS into 2 parts, you're coing to need a nice and strong C ring compressor or a set of needle-nose pliers with some really pointy tips.
There are rings inside the indented circles on the shaft.
Once you remove the ring, the center solid-metal cylinder should pop ot, but since yours looks a wee bit rusty, it will take some work.
I'm still with removing the bolts at the pumpkin.
Old 12-29-04, 12:26 AM
bean_8044
Rookie

I really wouldnt recommend seperating your driveshaft, but do what you have to do i guess. If its just the three bolts that hold the rubber part to the diff then i would just cut them and get new ones. Actually i would get all six while youre down there. Once you get those three off though, you can just undo the two that hold the middle of the driveshaft up, push the driveshaft into the trans and it should pop out of the diff. This is only if you get those three bolts out though
Old 12-29-04, 05:14 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Alright thanks for the help guys, no more wasting time trying to separate the center of DS for me. That pic that you posted vredniykot says it all, theres no way I could back out my driveshaft like 3 inches to separate it, oh well. I went to Home Depot last night and I bought a propane torch so that bolt is goin down

Thanks again guys and Ill keep you updated
Old 12-29-04, 03:22 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Alllllright, so I got the bolts off, dropped my DS, took out my tranny, replaced the TO bearing, shifter seat, took off the old pressure plate/clutch/flywheel, replaced my leaky rear main seal, removed my pilot bearing (SO HARD!!!! withouth the right tool), and now all I need to do is install the pilor bearing and bolt everything up. But now I have one more problem, how the hell do I get the pilot bearing back in??? It does not want to go in no matter how hard I hit with my rubber mallet. So does any one have tips on installling a new pilot bearing. Im SO close to being done

Last edited by /Aerostar\; 12-29-04 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-30-04, 12:36 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Rubber mallet might not get the job done.
Try putting a scrap piece of wood over it and hitting the wood with a decent hammer.
It will take a few taps to get in there (you know now that it doesn't just pop out with a screwdriver )

Good luck.

~Alan
Old 12-30-04, 02:49 AM
Tryk
Pole Position

Or you find a socket that has about the same diameter as the outer part of the bearing... and tap it in slowly with a hammer. That is what I always do for pilot bearings.
Old 12-30-04, 05:41 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

You guys rule, Ill make sure to try both ways and Ill let you know what happens
Old 12-30-04, 06:32 AM
qtb33
Lead Lap

Don't forget alittle axel grease on the pilot bearing and the throw out bearing. Not to much, just a thin coat.