Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What tool for large lug under center cap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-04, 04:28 AM
984sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What tool for large lug under center cap?

Hi,
New here, though I've read the forums a lot. Got my first flat yesterday in my sc400 (had it 2 months, it's been great otherwise).. noticed it after driving for about a mile (drat!) and come to find that my car is missing the tire iron/lug tools.

I had no problem getting the regular lugs off, but I'm not sure what i need for the lug under the center cap or what size it is.. I need an immediate solution to get the spare on, but also would like to buy the oem tool if anyone has an extra. My sc is a 98, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

It seems a lot of trouble to change the tire with the non-standard lug, i guess it's a security device? To add to my frustration, my car didnt come with the owners manual, the one I requested form lexus.com hasn't come yet, and the owners manual PDF section of the lexus website has been down since last night. I'd appreciate any info..BTW, searches turn up nothing for me.
Thanks.
Old 12-22-04, 06:20 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 984sc
Hi,
I had no problem getting the regular lugs off, but I'm not sure what i need for the lug under the center cap or what size it is.. I need an immediate solution to get the spare on, but also would like to buy the oem tool if anyone has an extra. My sc is a 98, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks.
Hmm... This is on the rear wheel, right? It seems like you are trying to remove the axle nut? 30mm or so? You don't need to remove this to remove the tire. Just the 5 lug nuts and it should come off. If it doesn't, it's just a little rust that's holding it on there. Give it a good kick.

If you are referring to a security lock lugnut, then you need a special key to remove it. It should be in the back or glove compartment. It should be only one of the five per wheel. But being that you have a 98 which has exposed lugs, I suspect you are referring to the axle nut which is the only one under a center cap. Leave that alone, you don't want to loosen that one.
Old 12-22-04, 11:58 AM
984sc
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Man,
Finally got it off after much kicking and pulling at it. The rust sealed it on there so tightly it really still felt as if it were still bolted down. After mounting the spare, I felt I was home free, but when the spare hit the ground, I saw it was severely underinflated and not driveable. I had to take it off, put the rim back on, and take it somewhere and air it up. All in 15 degree windyness! Hopefully the shop can repair the tire.. apparently it had a puncture.

It's a good reminder to anyone who just got an SC or any car.. air up your spare! I've never had that problem with a spare before, nor with the wheel being so stuck but oh well, I've learned. Now I'll check the pressure of the spare tire in the future.

Thanks for the quick responses
Old 12-22-04, 04:15 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So did you remove that nut? Haha because you didnt need to, you only remove that if you're doing extensive work on the rear axle, not for changing out a wheel or a brake job. Also, you said you had to go somewhere to air up your spare...so howd you drive on the flat tire to go air up your spare?
Old 12-23-04, 02:21 AM
984sc
Driver School Candidate

haha.. No on both counts.. I didnt attempt to remove it, because it never made sense that it would have to come off anyway. I just wanted to make sure before I went out in the cold again to get the wheel off.

I took the spare to a service station in the trunk of my other vehicle and aired it up. No way would I have rolled anywhere on either of them.

The shop wasn't able to repair my tire, but gave me a discount on the zr rated tire I needed. Ironically, my owners manual came yesterday.