Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Adjusting Transmission Cable

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-04, 08:12 PM
smelkony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Adjusting Transmission Cable

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the transmission cable. It is the cable right in back of the throttle cable by the firewall. The transmission cable determines how smooth your shifts are. I adjusted mine but i dont know what the factory specs are. I dont want to hurt my tranny over time. Please help.

Can some one post a pic of their sc300 engine bay. Near the middle firewall area. That way i can count the threads of the bolt. And adjust mine accordingly.

Last edited by smelkony; 12-24-04 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-25-04, 08:41 AM
dentpusher
Pole Position

Every car is different and it needs to be adjusted by feel while driving. You wont hurt the tranny unless its to loose and the shifts slip to much. On my 97 I have it set real tight so the shifts are higher and alot firmer. Most of the time I can get the tires to brake loose in the change to second on the 300. Just make small adjustment and take a drive. Once you get it to the setting you like than your set. The tighter you make it the more responsive and less slip the shifts will have. The less slip the better it is for the tranny. The kickdown cable is sensetive so make small agjustments and then take it for a spin till you get it.
Old 12-27-04, 05:07 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dentpusher, it's a throttle valve cable, not a kickdown cable. Also, you'd have a hard time 'adjusting it by feel while driving'....unless you had REALLY long arms . Plus, telling him you can't hurt the trans unless it's too loose is misleading. There is a paper gasket @ the pump, if you increase line pressure past a certain point you run the risk of tearing it. If your SC300 breaks the tyres loose going into 2nd and it is not FI.....it is not adjusted properly. Just watchin' out for ya....
Old 12-27-04, 05:28 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

You didnt read that post to well did ya. Look toward the end and you will see i said to adjust in slightly and drive till you get it right. Common sense will tell you not to adjust it as tight as it will go. Just becuase its not set to the factory manual specs doesnt mean something isnt right or will work better. Look at the supra mk3 head gaskets for a good example. Less slip means less clutch wear and less heat. You dont want to go crazy with the adjustment but your not going to hurt anything with adjusting for firmer shifts.
Old 12-27-04, 05:44 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

This is how I killed my tranny this past summer. A friend of mine suggested that I 'tighten' it up by adjusting it and guess what happened a short time later? Yep, that's right, I needed a new tranny. The line pressure was too high and caused a failure. $400 for a used tranny and $200 for labor to install it. I shoulda left it alone!
Old 12-27-04, 11:00 PM
smelkony
Driver School Candidate

I adjusted mine and it feels okay but can someone still take a close-up pic of it so i can see what the factory one looks like. One that has not been messed with on an SC300.
Old 12-29-04, 02:51 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dentpusher
You didnt read that post to well did ya. Look toward the end and you will see i said to adjust in slightly and drive till you get it right. Common sense will tell you not to adjust it as tight as it will go. Just becuase its not set to the factory manual specs doesnt mean something isnt right or will work better. Look at the supra mk3 head gaskets for a good example. Less slip means less clutch wear and less heat. You dont want to go crazy with the adjustment but your not going to hurt anything with adjusting for firmer shifts.

Nope, read it just fine...your exact words were 'it needs to be adjusted by feel while driving.'
You have also stated once again that you won't hurt anything....read jeremy's post. I'll repeat myself, if your SC breaks the tyres loose going into 2nd and is not FI, the TV cable IS NOT adjusted properly. The fact that you've taken your luxury coupe and turned it into a Mustang isn't going to impress anyone, except for young kids maybe. Yes my coupe would go completely sideways on the 1-2 shift, but I was making more than three times the HP you are, different story. I don't normally jump in unless someone is giving dangerous advice, but that's what you're doing man.