Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car dies when I press in the brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 05:44 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Car dies when I press in the brake

Guys,

When I push in my brake pedal my car dies. What gives??

Do you think I have my shiftlock depressed and that what it is?? Anyone have any ideas??

Jonny
Old 12-08-04, 05:45 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly a low idle? Is this happening after you kill the a/c?
Old 12-08-04, 05:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Re: Car dies when I press in the brake

Originally posted by Dx3

Do you think I have my shiftlock depressed and that what it is??

Jonny
NO. shiftlock is a piece of metal that has a hook which keeps the plastic lever from moving until you hit the cable by foot, and release the hook. there is nothing electrical about it.

Otherwise..... i dunno. With THAT car it is probably wired to a kill switch (no, don't go looking for a kill switch )

Last edited by O. L. T.; 12-08-04 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 05:58 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Car dies when I press in the brake

Originally posted by O. L. T.
NO. shiftlock is a piece of metal that has a hook which keeps the plastic lever from moving until you hit the cable by foot, and release the hook. there is nothing electrical about it.

Otherwise..... i dunno. With THAT car it is probably wired to a kill switch (no, don't go looking for a kill switch )
There is a latch that is located under the shifter panel - when u push that latch down it lets u move the shifter. I am thinking I have this stuck down and that is what it is.

The car idles fine when I don't touch the brake.

The car drove to my house without the interior just fine, and has idled for 20 minutes without any probs. Just as soon as I hit the brake it dies.

I want to go out and check right now but it is dark.

Peace,
Jonny
Old 12-08-04, 06:05 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

YOUUUUU ARRREN"TTTTTTTT LISTENINNNNGGGGGGGG
Old 12-08-04, 06:10 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

YOUUUUU ARRREN"TTTTTTTT LISTENINNNNGGGGGGGG
OK, I understand now what you are saying. What else has a safety device that will kill the car upon touching the brake?

I just went out and removed the shifter panel. I turned the car on and it ran fine, pressed the brake and it died.

Turned the car on again and wiggled the wires where the shifter panel is. Put the brake in and the car went into drive and didn't die. Released the brake and it started driving.

Put it back in park and wiggled the wires again - with brake in and car died.

Started car again and in brake - car died.

Very @#$%^&* confused!!

Peace,
Jonny
Old 12-08-04, 06:18 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

coincidence. quit wasting your time.

100 things happen when you put the brake on. voltage drops, sensors change, idle speed drops, etc..............

one point of interest, the ground potential of the car will change when the brake lights are applied, how well did you ground strap the engine back in? (or tranny, or both)

Last edited by O. L. T.; 12-08-04 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 07:18 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

coincidence. quit wasting your time.

100 things happen when you put the brake on. voltage drops, sensors change, idle speed drops, etc..............

one point of interest, the ground potential of the car will change when the brake lights are applied, how well did you ground strap the engine back in? (or tranny, or both)
OLT,

That is one thing I know that was done properly. We grounded all 3 of them well.

Eugene mentioned a brake vacuum - u think that could be it?

Jonny
Old 12-08-04, 08:17 PM
97SC300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was a vacuum leak then your car would idle like a ford lol.
Old 12-08-04, 08:38 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just tap the brake real quick check and see if the lights dim. For some reason my car kind of does this too when I press the clutch and brake together, it doesn't die but all the lights dim and the fan dims a bit. Just a bad ground I need to find.

Tim
Old 12-08-04, 09:25 PM
kenso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Dx3
OLT,

That is one thing I know that was done properly. We grounded all 3 of them well.

Eugene mentioned a brake vacuum - u think that could be it?

Jonny
If there is any sort of vacuum leak in your brake booster then unmetered air (bypassing the MAF sensor) could be entering the intake manifold when you apply the brake. Try removing the hose between the booster and the manifold and capping off the manifold fitting, then apply the brake. If you still have the stalling problem then it is probably not vacuum related.
Old 12-08-04, 10:18 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Now THAT is about the BEST first post I have EVER READ on this forum! Welcome, Kenso!
Old 12-09-04, 09:21 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by TMaxxTim
If you just tap the brake real quick check and see if the lights dim. For some reason my car kind of does this too when I press the clutch and brake together, it doesn't die but all the lights dim and the fan dims a bit. Just a bad ground I need to find.

Tim
Yes, it does this! The car drove to my house just fine a couple of weeks ago, and has not been driven since. I put gas in the car as well - this sux!!
Old 12-09-04, 09:22 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by kenso
If there is any sort of vacuum leak in your brake booster then unmetered air (bypassing the MAF sensor) could be entering the intake manifold when you apply the brake. Try removing the hose between the booster and the manifold and capping off the manifold fitting, then apply the brake. If you still have the stalling problem then it is probably not vacuum related.
Hey man,

I will give this a shot and see what happens.

Thanks for the help,

jonny
Old 12-11-04, 01:13 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Well I got my car towed to the mechanic and he disconnected the brake switch, reattached it and the car started running fine. He told me to come and pick it up and I got there just before closing time on Friday.

I got it about half a mile and it started chugging and then died. I tried to restart it and the same thing started happening. Needless to say I expressed my frustration with everyone within 300 feet of me. So, I got the car towed back to the shop where it will sit until they return to their shop on Monday.

When it is fixed I shall be selling and visiting the nearest auto auction and buying an 88 Honda Accord. I will pay $200 for it and drive it until it no longer runs. When it dies I will leave it on the side of the road, walk to the nearest car auction and start over again.

I HATE CARS!!!!!

JK, I love em but damn I need a break!!

Peace,
Jonny

Quick Reply: Car dies when I press in the brake