Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

for the second time in a row, I washed my engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-04, 05:50 AM
CytrikAcyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for the second time in a row, I washed my engine

and it now has a miss.... sounds / feels like its runnin on 7 cylinders at times.

It happened the LAST time I washed the engine as well, but eventually went away although I forgot how long it took. But I am idling and hearing.... vroooom poom poom poom vrooooom...... sputtering and just idling with a miss... anyone else had this problem?

Also, why isn't the check engine light on in a case like this?
Old 12-01-04, 08:02 AM
stocksc3
Driver School Candidate

hey man, i actually went through the same problem last week, which sucked

i had just finished changing my valve cover gaskets and spark plugs/wires and i thaught it would be a good idea to go degrese my engine, so i took it to the neighborhood car wash and washed it down, it looked nice, and then i drove it home just fine....

then later night, i took the car out again, and it was in drive and i'm going down the street accelerating to see how the car drives, and then out of no where my throttle gets stuck, and my rpms start flying up and won't go down, so i was in panic mode, i thaught i should down shift to 2, that didn't work, then L, that didn't work either, and my foot is on the brake by the way this whole time and my rpms are now at a strong 2000 but i'm going at 20 now, and then i hit the ebrake twice and nothing, so then i just kill the engine and roll into a parking lot.

then at like 2 in the morning in a parking lot me and my friend are messing with the throttle body cause the idle is extremely rough, like the engine is just bouncing around. the reason we were messing with the throttle is cause we thaught we need to fix the idle, so that night goes by, and then i decided that we need professional help so i drove it at like 10 mph to the nearest car shop, and the guy comes out and looks at my car and keep insisting its a misfire, i'm like hey buddy look at the throttle cause we messed with it alot but he is consistently saying that its misfiring, so i'm like ok just fix it.

so the guy calls me and says i need new plugs and wires, cuase its electrical stuff, and i hate electrical stuff especially with cars. basically the water that i hosed the engine off with after the degresser was set went into the area where the spark plugs go, between the valve covers.

so then i returned the plugs and wires and got new ones and now the car is running alrite, but now there is a NEW problem.... my car is a automatic and i got my transmission fluid changed (nothing to do with the problem in my mind but..) and now the car won't shift at the right speed/rpm combo

the first shift that takes place as i remmebered it (its been a week since i drove my car, it seems like i'm driving it for the first time again) was under 30 mph at between 2000-3000 rpm, but my car doesn't make the first shift until about 3,500 rpm.... should i mess with the throttle again or what? any help would be helpful
Old 12-01-04, 09:08 AM
FaceUT
Pole Position

Super common problem...

a quick search yielded the following.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...re+wash+engine

Same thing happened to me on my wife's LS (V8) - I pulled the plugs and dried out the plug holes. Fixed it

Last edited by FaceUT; 12-01-04 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-01-04, 09:35 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Engine thread < engine forum
Old 12-01-04, 10:49 AM
stocksc3
Driver School Candidate

anyone know why my throttle got stuck?
i'm thinking that the degresser too some necessary grease out of the component that makes the throttle move, lol, its hard to describe... but yeah