Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another Twin Turbo SC400?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-04, 08:41 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How close are you to getting it up and running Chrisman. And in your opinion how much power do you plan to put out? @ the wheels? I am also assuming iniatially that you plan on running 6 psi or so on stock internals. Do you plan on making this kit for the rest of us V8 SC owners? What will your kit include? And I personally like to thank you for making my dreams come true With your Turbo kit Plunge. I am tired of all the GS, IS, and every other model getting love and the SC400 not even mentioned. I want to start slapping M5's If you know what I mean. Later and GOOD LUCK!

Philly
Old 11-18-04, 08:48 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by Philly#1 Lex
How close are you to getting it up and running Chrisman. And in your opinion how much power do you plan to put out? @ the wheels? I am also assuming iniatially that you plan on running 6 psi or so on stock internals. Do you plan on making this kit for the rest of us V8 SC owners? What will your kit include? And I personally like to thank you for making my dreams come true With your Turbo kit Plunge. I am tired of all the GS, IS, and every other model getting love and the SC400 not even mentioned. I want to start slapping M5's If you know what I mean. Later and GOOD LUCK!

Philly
yeah im excited also...you wanna lap M5's..haha.....i want to have the luxury sleeper!....

CEO
Old 11-18-04, 04:16 PM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Philly#1 Lex

Philly
im sure you'll get some good response if you plan on making a kit for the rest of us
Old 11-18-04, 04:27 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chrisman,
I just stumbled across this thread....and I must say...I'm impressed

Lextreme,
your single turbo set up looks nice - I'll be checking it out at the Dec. 11th meet dude...

Hey, at least there's hope for us V8 owners....there's nuthin like the sound of Turbos spoolin up

Last edited by SC400Dude; 11-18-04 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 04:30 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Ah yes, good old Tial 50 mm BOV. Nice... got one too. I am running a single turbo right now and my LS400 will stay the way it is. Currently running a T70, but Garrett GT40 with Precision .68 A/R housing next week or so. However, getting 550 cc injectors in few weeks and plan to up the boost to 15 psi or so. My engine is complete stock with thicker .093" copper gaskets.

The twin turbo i will start during the chrismas break will be a twin T3/4 with AC and Powersteering staying. I am building up a forged internal motor for my future project car. Thanks for Todd from TMEngineering.net for hte Cumming rods and some custom made well designed forged pistons along with some head work. I also plan to run two to four extra injectors for high boost application.

This is be my street/Track car. Most likely this setup will go into a SC400. My philosophy is get the engine ready and get a beat up or blown motor SC400 later. I dont plan to produce this kit or this project, its just for me. However, I do plan to run very high boost on this motor. My goal for this built twin turbo setup is about 25 psi.

I have all the fuel management details all solved. I can run 8 550 cc injectors along with 4 1000 cc extra injectors with appropriate control with dual Walbro 255 high pressure fuel pump along with GM 3 Bar map sensor.

P.S: The V8 owners have hope. There few cars in our site boosting 6 psi and making crazy hp. That car did a minute burn out. Its crazy..... With the proper amount of money and work, the turbo SC400 will blow away SC300 anyday. Pound per pound the V8 is always above.

Last edited by Lextreme; 11-18-04 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 04:30 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chrisman, It's more at idle, cruise, which is 90% of your driving, I like the way you've mounted that, it makes for a very clean installation.
I would measure the cross section of the stock housing, then duplicate that with your tubing. If you're already very close, you could make a bypass circuit to go around the MAF with an adjustment in it.
If you're on the large side with your tubing, you could make a bypass within the tube, and put a threaded bung on the side, just like the stock housing pretty much.
What was frustrating about the tuning part was the ecu's tendancy to tune itself over a two day period.
So what started out fine initially after the adjustment could morph into a undesireable tune.
Was interesting also to be increasing the fuel pressure after an increase in MAF size and have the car not respond for several adjustments, then go even more lean as it enters the bottom of the closed loop range. At least you know you're getting close I guess.

Wow, Lextreme, getting an SC huh? That's pretty cool.

Last edited by SCV8; 11-18-04 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 04:50 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Great project, very impressive. Throw in a 6spd Getrag and I'm sold but I refuse to drive a slushbox, so the 300 remains my choice.

BTW, what's all this dissention between 300 and 400 guys? Ya'll must have forget the old GE (not GTE) put down over 980RWHP and 1k at the crank.

Last edited by Technics; 11-18-04 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 04:53 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Tech,

You gotta compare an apple with an apple. If the same amount of money spent on the V8, the V8 will get alot more power. Have you read about the V8 made over 2000 hp? You gotta compare dollar per dollar and pound per pound.
Old 11-18-04, 05:09 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lextreme
Tech,

You gotta compare an apple with an apple. If the same amount of money spent on the V8, the V8 will get alot more power. Have you read about the V8 made over 2000 hp? You gotta compare dollar per dollar and pound per pound.
No doubt.

The 1UZ has a lot of potential. The 2k HP 1UZ, it had two superchargers right? I don't have a problem where the power comes from, as long as it's there. Whether it be inline 6 or V-8.

What kind of numbers are guys putting down with 6psi? I have modest power goals at this point, probably around 350-400RWHP. What would you say at this point is the price difference between getting a 300 and 400 at those figures? The Dave H kit is relatively cheap, if not complete kit capable of those kinds of numbers.
Old 11-18-04, 06:02 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Reading all this V8 FI is exciting. Chrisman, Again, Kudos to you for your project.

Lextreme, You're the king of the Lexus V8 FI field in the US, no doubt.

Tech, your goals should be easy to reach on a V8.

My SC400T project is quite similar to David's. I am runnig a Garrett GT40 with a Precision .68 trim housing as well, should spool up very quickly. At 8 PSI should easily attain 900 CFM, easily good for 600HP at the crank, or more. That should have no problem in getting to 450 HP at the wheels. I will be running stock internals, high compression, and a custom water to air intercooler. The intercooler has a seperate heat exchanger that will mount where the ac condensor and radiator are. This serves as the cooling device for the liquid in the system. The liquid is then pumped through the system including the cooler while air travels through the fins in the cooler, the water absorbs the heat and then carries it completely away from the cooler and then disipates it's heat through the rest of the system and the heat exchanger. This custom system will keep the air at no more than about 10 degrees above ambient. This will mean even better HP. Some are trying to tell me this is not good for the street, but, this custom design will at its worst, be equal to or better in cooling than the best air-to-air FMIC.

I am installing a Tial 40 mm WG, and a Tial 50 mm BOV. AC compressor will stay, as well as power steering. Somethings will be relocated. Plumbing will all be T304 stainless.

This project is exciting. I am awaiting the Turbo, as the initial Garrett housing was the wrong one, and is being switched out by Turbo Performance Systems first.

Can't wait...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400T; 11-18-04 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-18-04, 06:15 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by Technics
No doubt.

The 1UZ has a lot of potential. The 2k HP 1UZ, it had two superchargers right? I don't have a problem where the power comes from, as long as it's there. Whether it be inline 6 or V-8.

What kind of numbers are guys putting down with 6psi? I have modest power goals at this point, probably around 350-400RWHP. What would you say at this point is the price difference between getting a 300 and 400 at those figures? The Dave H kit is relatively cheap, if not complete kit capable of those kinds of numbers.

as far as i know the 6.5 psi has historically produced about an extra 100 hp over stock...so your 350hp range should be avaliable....but that was using Aerodyne turbos...

CEO
Old 11-18-04, 06:18 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Ryan,

Thanks for the great compliments. Since I am the King, you must be the queen of Lexus V8 FI. LOL.. Just kidding. I am so excited for Ryan and his SC400T. We talk over the phone everyday about this project. Ryan is committed to finish this project and the new technology of Garrett GT turbos will give lots of lower end boost and high end power.

We are also blessed with help from TPS and others. Precision reinvented Garrett turbine and made it better. In our site we have seen some crazy horsepower produced by the V8. I really believe the V8 FI would be a hot topic for discussion.

We have many supra guys are putting in the V8 into their 2JZGTE. Lots of after market performance parts are coming out for the V8. In Australia, the V8 is very popular and they have done some crazy things on it. In the US we are just begin to talk about it. From my pesonally experience with my untuned i made 324.5 rwhp with 8 psi. AAP made 605 rwhp with 15 psi and recently we had one member made 450 rwhp with 6 psi. I havent seen any SC300 made over 325 rwhp with 8 psi or made over 450 rwhp with 6 psi or even 2JZGTE havent made 605 with 15 psi.

The above discription have backings and the reality is that the V8 FI movement is coming full steam. So, watchout and give us some respect here!
Old 11-18-04, 06:41 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

450RWHP on 6psi is impressive

Like I said before, throw in a MT and I'm sold. I remember seeing one 400 with a manual conversion, don't remember if a Getrag was in there or not.
Old 11-18-04, 10:57 PM
chrisman
Driver

hi guys, this is great thread, alot of input..i fell bettter about doing this twinn turbo every day..
scv8, thats a great idea about making a seperate bypass, as long as the tubing is close to the cast MAF..i will do some searching and figure out exactly how toyota wanted the MAF to work..
some asked when it will be running? it is running, the owner is driving it-but only beause his daily car is now broken.. by the way, the wastegates are held open so he cannot make boost.. he is an agressive driver, and before he drives away under boost, i want to be sure everything is ok /ready for it.. the new "intube MAF" has me concerned.. it semms to idle ok, but every once in a while i do hear it surging, and am pretty sure i will make an adjustable bypass-just like the toyota MAF..
someone also asked about HP..it has been my exp with turbo 4s that as a general rule i would expect 10 HP per 1 PSI.. but this being a V8 and TWIN turbos- i dont know what to expect--but reading thru this thread about other turbo v8s, i feel positive about it..

BUT in the meantime i have no problem with people asking me questions about how or what i did, and i would not get upset if you guys did it differently some how .i know there may be several ways to fix the same problem...i know there are alot of motivated guys out there ,and explaining how i did it may end up saving some guys alot of trouble....
anyway, il attach another pic..talk to you guys later..
Attached Thumbnails Another Twin Turbo SC400?-dscf0498.jpg  

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-28-04 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-19-04, 11:25 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Lextreme
Actually before Chris start posting those pics, i plan to build a Twin T3/4 with pretty much the same path.
lextreme,
is there a working SC400T in so cal as of yet?

Quick Reply: Another Twin Turbo SC400?