Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Clicking when trying to start car

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-04, 04:29 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Clicking when trying to start car

Guys,

When I try to start my car I just get clicking. I tried a different battery but I am not sure whether I just didn't give it long enough or whether something else is the problem.

If it is not the battery then either the alternator or starter? how can I check these things>?

Thx,

Jonny
Old 10-13-04, 04:35 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

it is either the battery or the starter sylenoid. (sp)

take a volt meter and check for the voltage level at the battery, see what it reads, should be 12.6 or higher
Old 10-13-04, 04:43 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my guess would be the starter.
Old 10-13-04, 04:57 PM
Spencer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starter, you can get bits and peices of the starter at the Toyota dealership. Same starter as a NA supra, just need to find out what exactly is wrong. Either the contacts and the brushes most likely.
Old 10-13-04, 05:19 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Does anyone have pictures of where the starter is located and possible problems? I am guessing contacts? Pics would be great also. I have searched for pictures but not come across any. I am getting ready to replace my engine and from what I have read it seems like this may be the best time to replace it. People in previous quotes have mentioned a write-up on replacing the starter but I have been unable to find it. Any help mucho appreciated!

thx,

jonny

Last edited by Dx3; 10-13-04 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-14-04, 06:51 AM
SwampFox
Rookie

To start the car you must have a good battery, 12 volts and 200 to 300 amps available. You must have clean and tight connection surfaces between the battery posts and cables, also a clean tight connection onto the starter motor and clean tight ground to chassis connection. Turn on the high beam lights. Do you have bright white light or is the light a dim amber color? How old is the battery? Do you have the oem type factory battery cables or have after market ends that been clamped or bolted on the cable ends? Is the connection at the starter motor clean and tight? How about the chassis ground connection?
Old 10-14-04, 07:02 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

I agree with SwampFox, great advice.... test all your connections and look for corrosion or worn wires. I can't tell you how many times that I've seen it be the culprit in these situations.

If you need to, most part stores can test your battery and alternator, I believe for free.

Sorry no pics.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 10-14-04 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-14-04, 10:25 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SwampFox
To start the car you must have a good battery, 12 volts and 200 to 300 amps available. You must have clean and tight connection surfaces between the battery posts and cables, also a clean tight connection onto the starter motor and clean tight ground to chassis connection. Turn on the high beam lights. Do you have bright white light or is the light a dim amber color? How old is the battery? Do you have the oem type factory battery cables or have after market ends that been clamped or bolted on the cable ends? Is the connection at the starter motor clean and tight? How about the chassis ground connection?
Hey man,

Let me try and answer your questions so we can hopefully narrow down the problem.

The connections on both the battery and the cables are very clean. They are an aftermarket set of cables, with 2 running to the + and 1 the the -.

I ended up pulling up a different car, then running my jumper cables from the other car and attached the other side of the cables to my battery cables. All the lights on the dash were super bright, but when I tried to start the car they all turned off.

I have not gotten to check the connections under the car yet but I guess that will be my next move.

Any advice from here??

Thx man,

jonny
Old 10-14-04, 10:33 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

I have the same problem as you right now. I replaced my battery and it did nothing. Didn't really matter cause my battery was corroded anyway. So now i'm thinking it's the starter.. If i turn the key it clicks once and dies. If i try a few more times it turns on immediately... I think parts of my starter is dead.

Last edited by mrshabo; 10-14-04 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-14-04, 11:41 AM
SwampFox
Rookie

Originally posted by Dx3
I ended up pulling up a different car, then running my jumper cables from the other car and attached the other side of the cables to my battery cables. All the lights on the dash were super bright, but when I tried to start the car they all turned off.

Typically, jumper cables do not have the capacity to pass a lot of current or amps because of the small surface contact area of the clamps. Attempting to start an engine in a car with a dead battery finds most of the power going just to charge the dead battery. Jumper cables are most effective when used to help starting with a weak battery, not dead battery. I would take your battery out of the equation and try one that I knew was about new, good and hot.

Last edited by SwampFox; 10-14-04 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-14-04, 01:07 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

No point in replacing a perfectly good battery.
I had the starter problem and I tortured my battery for a few days by clicking like 20 times before start.
Every time you click, the plunger hits the contacts and sometimes gets a connection and the car starts.

My battery is 8 years old, and even after what I've put it through in the last few days, after the starter was repaired, the battery has not shown any change.
Replace the contacts in your strarter and you'll be fine.

Good luck,
~Alan
Old 10-14-04, 09:00 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Jonny, here is where the starter is located

if you are looking to replace the engine, dont mess with it, just save up your money untill a good car or engine comes along
Old 10-14-04, 10:10 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally posted by vredniykot
---------->
Old 10-14-04, 10:20 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by vredniykot
Please tell me that isn't the starter that I am looking at That looks about as much fun as a kick in the *********!!

Peace,

Jonny
Old 10-14-04, 10:22 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally posted by Dx3
Please tell me that isn't the starter that I am looking at That looks about as much fun as a kick in the *********!!

Peace,

Jonny
i am so sorry but it is THE STARTER

that's why i said just leave it alone if you plan to replace the engine, the starter WILL BE INCLUDED lol

Quick Reply: Clicking when trying to start car