Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supra TRD LSD question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-04, 07:36 PM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supra TRD LSD question

Hi Guys,
I have an 92 sc300 and looking for an LSD, i had an TRD 2 way LSD in my corolla and loved it so i am looking for TRD lsd for my car and heard that supra ones pretty much bolt on. i am sure its not exactly bolt on, i am sure i need to do little modifications, is there anybody here have an TRD LSD in their car? Any help is appreciated guys.

Brandon.
Old 10-12-04, 08:35 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No mod required...the TRD LSD bolts right in.

gadgetSC-t
Old 10-12-04, 10:14 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

You need a TRD diff for an Automatic 94-98 MKIV Supra. Yeah it's bolt in. Swap ring gear and set it up.

I swapped the whole pumpkin from a TT supra. It's a viscous diff, so it's not as aggressive as the TRD unit but it's enough for me and it shouldn't wear out anytime soon.

While you're at it you should get a new driveshaft bushing, looks like a hockeypuck with a hexagon bolt pattern on it.. Its the joint were the driveshaft bolts to the diff. If it's old or not properly torqued it can make vibrations in the driveline.

Good luck and cool corolla
Old 10-12-04, 10:29 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by UpInTheLex
You need a TRD diff for an Automatic 94-98 MKIV Supra. Yeah it's bolt in. Swap ring gear and set it up.

I swapped the whole pumpkin from a TT supra. It's a viscous diff, so it's not as aggressive as the TRD unit but it's enough for me and it shouldn't wear out anytime soon.

While you're at it you should get a new driveshaft bushing, looks like a hockeypuck with a hexagon bolt pattern on it.. Its the joint were the driveshaft bolts to the diff. If it's old or not properly torqued it can make vibrations in the driveline.

Good luck and cool corolla
Do you have a part number on that bushing?
Old 10-13-04, 12:56 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

no but thats a link to it, search ebay for sc400 bushing. sorry if i did a boo-boo on posting an ebay link, if so leave this text so dude can find the part.
Old 10-13-04, 06:52 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

I have a 5 speed, does that change anything??
Old 10-13-04, 01:06 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

No I don't think that it does. The 6 speed supras use different diff housings and axles, but i'm 90% sure the sc's all use the same diff regardless if manual or auto.
Old 10-15-04, 06:45 AM
qtb33
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would assume the 6 speed diff is stronger? If so, why not swap the diff and the axels over too?
Old 10-16-04, 01:50 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can not imagine that the NA LSD is anything but fully capable of handling anything the 2jz-ge engine is going to throw at it in the way of power. I've got a LSD off the n.a. Supra and intend to run it with my 5-speed 2jz-gte twin turbo swap that will be BPU++ high 300's to low 400's at the crank.

You are not going to gain any performance for installing those parts, though if you ulimately end up with the 6-speed you will need them all.

urr,um btw--money and scarcity comes into play here as well as you look into the Getrag 6-speed.

Last edited by SCoupe; 10-16-04 at 01:51 AM.
Old 10-16-04, 06:57 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all helpful info guys, so what year Supra TRD LSD i shoudl buy for my 92 sc300? I want to get an LSD ASAP and where can i get it????
Old 10-16-04, 01:59 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Dude get one for a MKIV supra 94-98. If i were you i'd get one from an N/A with 4.27 ratio and LSD. Hard to find. If not get any year Auto LSD from a mark 4. Or I don't know call Carson Toyota and ask them if you want to just install the diff and have it set up. He sells TRD diffs for supras I bet.

The reason why people don't swap to 6 speed stuff is cos it's waay more expensive. I did the whole swap to LSD with new synthetic fluid for about 500 bucks by getting one from a 96 Auto Supra.
Old 10-17-04, 06:46 PM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Dude get one for a MKIV supra 94-98. If i were you i'd get one from an N/A with 4.27 ratio and LSD. Hard to find. If not get any year Auto LSD from a mark 4. Or I don't know call Carson Toyota and ask them if you want to just install the diff and have it set up. He sells TRD diffs for supras I bet.

The reason why people don't swap to 6 speed stuff is cos it's waay more expensive. I did the whole swap to LSD with new synthetic fluid for about 500 bucks by getting one from a 96 Auto Supra.
Thanks man, this is a lot of helpful information. Since i am installing LSD, what else should i replace while at it? Any gasket or whatever?
Thanks guys.
Old 10-17-04, 10:02 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You need the carrier bearings and you might want to have the shaft oil seals on hand incase you damage them doing the job.

gadgetSC-t
Old 10-18-04, 07:00 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude get one for a MKIV supra 94-98. If i were you i'd get one from an N/A with 4.27 ratio and LSD. Hard to find.
I got this setup and it kicks ****
Old 10-18-04, 04:23 PM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Alright, decided to go with ATS Limited Slip, my friend is going to hook me up. And Takahiro Ueno has helped design and tech this LSD, ill keep you guys updated.
Thanks for all help.

Quick Reply: Supra TRD LSD question