Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I think my engine mounts are shot - what do you guys think?

Old 10-10-04, 10:53 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think my engine mounts are shot - what do you guys think?

I had this problem before but it disappeared only to resurface now, more prominent than ever.

Starting off in first gear, normal launch around 1500RPM, the engine shakes and shudders. Once the car is moving I have no problem at all, it shifts and pulls smoothly in all gears. I should add that the clutch is not slipping and the engine itself is not misfiring or skipping. I also noticed that if I downshift into a lower gear I get a little engine shake/shudder as well.

Sounds like the engine mounts right? Any chance it could be the tranny mounts alone? The car has 117k on it now.
Old 10-10-04, 07:29 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got the same problems as yours bro heheh MIne's got 171k on the clock (about 106k mls) My engine mount is gone and my transmission mount is gone too... replacing these parts once I hit the 200k mark.
Old 10-10-04, 07:37 PM
SC300-95-TMM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I think my engine mounts are shot - what do you guys think?

Originally posted by Technics
I had this problem before but it disappeared only to resurface now, more prominent than ever.

Starting off in first gear, normal launch around 1500RPM, the engine shakes and shudders. Once the car is moving I have no problem at all, it shifts and pulls smoothly in all gears. I should add that the clutch is not slipping and the engine itself is not misfiring or skipping. I also noticed that if I downshift into a lower gear I get a little engine shake/shudder as well.

Sounds like the engine mounts right? Any chance it could be the tranny mounts alone? The car has 117k on it now.
Well mine had the same symptoms also. You can try this. Lift hood, get in car , apply parking brake, put in drive and give a lttle gas. If motor "Jumps" up in the engine bay, than mount is probably broken on passenger side. Now try in reverse. If other side is bad it will "jump" also. Only passenger side was on mine. I always got a lot of clunking getting on and off the gas due to engine bouncing in engine bay.

Good luck
Old 10-11-04, 01:17 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Soarer_25GTT
I've got the same problems as yours bro heheh MIne's got 171k on the clock (about 106k mls) My engine mount is gone and my transmission mount is gone too... replacing these parts once I hit the 200k mark.
Do you get the shake in first gear only?
Old 10-11-04, 01:20 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: I think my engine mounts are shot - what do you guys think?

Originally posted by SC300-95-TMM
Well mine had the same symptoms also. You can try this. Lift hood, get in car , apply parking brake, put in drive and give a lttle gas. If motor "Jumps" up in the engine bay, than mount is probably broken on passenger side. Now try in reverse. If other side is bad it will "jump" also. Only passenger side was on mine. I always got a lot of clunking getting on and off the gas due to engine bouncing in engine bay.

Good luck
I tried what you said and I didn't see much movent in the engine, just a little bit. Sometimes it was in sync with shuddering sometimes it wasn't. I wonder if it's the tranny mount as well.

I couldn't do it for very long either, I faintly smelled the clutch starting to burn.
Old 10-11-04, 05:19 PM
SC300-95-TMM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I am unsure of what it could be now. Possible that the tranny mount is bouncing also. Check it out...Take care