Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo Kit Installed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-04, 07:42 AM
MeAn_GrEEn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo Kit Installed...

Hey Guys im not new to the forum...been here awhile but hardly posted...cause I searched everything
But anyways I have some questions...I just got my Turbo installed...its a basic DaveH Kit for a 97 SC300 5-speed...I have A pt51 turbo, DaveH manifold and down-pipe, Tial 35mm wastegate and dump pipe, Blitz BOV. and cartech fuel management...and autometer boost guage...I really just wana get the car running reliable again before i get FMIC..Im looking to run about 5 - 8psi...for now

The First Problem is that the car is feeling like its stumbling when i drive the car even when im not accelerating and when im driving at a constent speed..I was told by the guy that installed the turbo kit that its because of the spark plugs and that i need to get some new ones and have them gaped out between 30 and 35..and that will correct the stumbling...so i went ahead and ordered them...(is he right?)

The second problem is that if i even boost any..and then come to a stop the car will cut off...the i guy i had install it says it has to do with the air...and there being to much or some crap .....Is it really cause i need to change my MAF? and get a bigger one like the LS400? This isnt that much of a problem right now cause...inorder for it not to cut off i just have to not let off the clutch until the last minute when im getting ready to stop...

THis is the big problem and worries me the most:
I took my car down the Dyno and it was rich then spiked lean at about 4000rpms really lean (I know i need to get a fuel pump)....I have that cartech for Management but it cant be adjust that much so i was told to get a SAFC as well ..and that will take care of that...but the guy who put my turbo on said get a HKS vpc(which is being discontinued i heard) and not a SAFC...then another mechanic that i let see the work on my turbo said that the SAFC wont due i need to get something else (didnt tell me what to get) and then something to retard the timing like a MSD or something....
I

fourth problem I was told was that Walbro fuel pumps are crap and that i should get a Supra TT fuel pump is that correct..? and if so will it be a direct bolt on like the walbro? (can i use Beans write up for the Fuel pump install?)

I just feel really lost......
What else do i really need to get the car running where i can tear it up and not worry about my engine going to crap.....all i want is to get my car running good and reliable with low Boost for right now without FMIC...It really sucks to drive, I hardly drive it and if i do i keep it under 3000rpms.... LOL iv been buming rides to work...and boring my mothers car ....Any advice would be good I know this is alot ..Thanks Guy
Old 09-29-04, 09:18 AM
SC300-95-TMM
Driver

Cool Setup you got.. I believe your car was for sale at one time earlier this year and on Ebay. It was clean and had a nice body kit on it. I wanted it but you no sell. Anyhow show us a few pics of the install and oh Bean's stuff is good info.

Good Luck
Old 09-29-04, 11:39 AM
MeAn_GrEEn
Driver School Candidate

Hey...yeah i think i remeber you.....sorry about not selling....decided i wanted to turbo charge it
May sell...it if i get anymore stressed out from this darn turbo.......and ill try and get some pictures up soon...any ways come on you turbo genius any suggestions?
Old 09-29-04, 12:32 PM
jcm3
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walbro are fine and i have installed them on Large single turbo supra fuel systems w/ no reliablity problems. Definately get a 255gph that is high pressure also so it can maintain the demands the cartech fmu will put on it. That SHOULD solve the fuel issues if your only running 6-8psi. Also get one range colder plugs and gap down to .030-.035. Last is there a blow off valve? If so it needs to recirculate (meaning that it cant vent air to the atmosphere) must have a tube that sends the expelled air back into the intake tract.
Old 09-29-04, 12:36 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ls400 afm will not work for you. that only works for 95 and lower cars.

vpc will remove the stock maf, you should couple that with the afc to allow finer tuning at specfic rpms.

walboro fuel pumps work great, no clue as to why your mechanic hates them. beans write up is on point.

i suggest dumping your mechanic and fixing the problems yourself.

edit: vpc is no longer made, i suggest contacting gadgetsc, i beleive he is selling his afc and vpc for a killer price.

Last edited by aliga; 09-29-04 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-18-04, 06:51 PM
lexsc3
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i think i know whats wrong with your stalling problem you have to get the BOV to vent back into the intake after the MAF.....its running too rich and stalls cause the MAF thinks there is enough air but its has been vented out through the BOV.