Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car won't start in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-04, 02:23 PM
lexussc400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start in the morning

Any SC 400 owners ever changed their starter contacts?

It's been happening for 5 days...when it's really cold overnight my car won't start in the morning till later in the afternoon when it's hot. I was hoping it was the spark plugs or fuel pump. I got it towed and they did a diagnostic and everything was fine...spark plugs were working but really needed to be changed. I was also hoping that it was the battery but when i try to start...lights, radio works fine. I know about the starter contacts being worn down over high mileage so i went to the dealer and they recommend to change the starter switch that includes the contacts. He also told me that it is a common problem and he has change two cars with starter contacts being worn down and the reason why it does not start in the morning is because the starter contacts are made off copper and at night when it's very cold..the copper will shrink. My question is, should i just change the contacts?? I have an sc400 and it takes about 5 hours to get to the starter. Is it wise to change the whole starter switch? Please help!!!!!
Old 09-20-04, 11:01 PM
PROMETHEUS
Driver School Candidate

i think you mind as well changed the starter , if your contacts went then sooner or later so will your starter, but ive never heard this problem before, what do the temperatures range from?
Old 09-22-04, 11:40 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I just took my starter apart a few days ago and since I was broke at the moment, all I did was take a piece of sand-paper to the dirty copper contacts.
My car now starts like a charm.

I have an SC300 and the whole job took around 2 hours.
I'm not sure how much harder an SC400 would be, but if you want to save money and have the right tools, you can do it yourself.

TIP: The starter can be taken apart down to the bolt, which I figured out while looking for the contacts.
To save you the trouble, I'll tell you that the contacts are located under a flat little panel held by 3 screws on the smaller(solenoid) part of the starter.

Good luck.

~Alan