Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Harmonic Dampener pulley broke off, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-04, 09:01 AM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic Dampener pulley broke off, now what?

I didn't really know where to put this so I put it here...

Anyway, this weekend my wife and I were at a drift event in Houston, and while my wife was on the track we heard a "CHING ching ching....." noise and a loud squeal and saw a small ring shoot out from under the car, go about 150 yards across the parking lot at breakneck speeds, and smack a chain link fence. We had her stop, and upon first inspection we didnt notice anything out of the ordinary. However, if she turned on the AC, the belt would start to squeal like a ****.

We decided to go look and see if we could find the little disk thing, and after a few minutes of searching we found a pulley. We thought that was kinda strange, so we went back to the lex and popped the hood again and sure enough, the harmonic dampener pulley had shearad from it's hub, shot out of the car and gone across the parking lot. The even stranger thing was that the belt just re-tensioned itself to the hub and kept everything running like normal.

Now, the question is, what the hell do I do next? Obviously we cant drive the car, because it could damage the engine with harmonic stress. I guess I need to get a new dampener assembly thing, and while I am at it, change the timing belt. Only problem is that we dont have a lexus dealership within 100 miles and there arent any SC's or Supras in the junkyards around here. Does anyone make an underdrive pulley for this? Do any of yall have a pulley I could buy from you?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-02-04, 10:00 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

boost logic makes a dampened lightweight crank pulley. There are also a few other companies that make them. Stay away from the undampened underdrive pulleys for the same reason youre already aware of. The harmonic stress can damage the engine in not too much time. Good luck with that.

ps. was this post made a while back also? I dont know if its dejavu or just a repost.
Old 08-02-04, 08:24 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Default Re: Harmonic Dampener pulley broke off, now what?

Originally posted by 240_Keyy

The even stranger thing was that the belt just re-tensioned itself to the hub and kept everything running like normal.

Now that's a cool feature .
Old 08-03-04, 10:26 PM
racing fan
Driver

I've seen this happen a handful of times on supras... yet it never flew out like yours Another stocker is prone to do the same thing again... A BL Crank pulley will be the last pulley you will ever have to buy.
Old 08-03-04, 11:02 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by racing fan
I've seen this happen a handful of times on supras... yet it never flew out like yours Another stocker is prone to do the same thing again... A BL Crank pulley will be the last pulley you will ever have to buy.
says the BL guy =)
but really BL only makes quality stuff.
Old 08-04-04, 09:45 AM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

lol thanks a lot for your help guys

The BL pulley is $399 for a lightweight dampened one and a new stock one from Lexus-parts.com will cost 358.86 plus tax and shipping, which makes it over $400.

Looks like I have no choice but to go with the BL pulley.

I don't suppose there is any chance any of you have a spare stock one just sitting around that I could borrow for a while until I actually have a spare $400 to spend on a BL pulley do ya? My wife recently lost her job and my contract at my current job ends in two weeks, and I havent been able to find another one to replace it with yet, so money is a bit tight to say the least.

Thanks again guys!

EDIT: Holy Crap!! BoostLogic is located in Austin!?!?! I only live an hour away, if this is an item that you regularly stock, I will just come over and pick one up

Last edited by 240_Keyy; 08-04-04 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-07-04, 10:01 AM
Senator
Lexus Champion

If you are in Austin, I think the guys from Turbo Imports are there, Check out that guys SC300. Freakin Sweet!!