Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1uzfe Cams!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-04, 07:25 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1uzfe Cams!!!!!!!!!

Got in contact with those kelford guys about the cams and here is what they told me they can do. Tell me if this is worth it or not i am going to try and get some dyno numbers out of them. VSSC400 it only took me one try But one week for a reply Anyway tell me what you guys think

There are three options on how we do cams for these engines
1, we grind the cams to a determined spec and you make thicker shims. Cost
$500 plus gst
2, we grind the cams to the determined spec and also supply a lash cap to go
on top of the valve the same thickness as what was removed off the cam so
tappets are real close. Cost $700 plus gst
3, we build up and reprofile the cams, (minimal base circle reduction) Cost
$1750 plus gst

----- Original Message -----
<terance.douglas@auab.aorcentaf.af.mil>
To: "'Team at Kelford'" <team@kelford.co.nz>
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 1:34 PM
Subject: RE: 1UZFE CAMS

> Can I have a price on all the Cams you have For the Lexus SC/ Soarer. If
at
> all possible
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Team at Kelford [mailto:team@kelford.co.nz]
> Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 1:58 AM
> To: Douglas Terance L SrA 379 EMXS/MXMWPA
> Subject: Re: 1UZFE CAMS
>
>
> What application?
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Douglas Terance L SrA 379 EMXS/MXMWPA"
> <terance.douglas@auab.aorcentaf.af.mil>
> To: <team@kelford.co.nz>
> Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 1:36 PM
> Subject: 1UZFE CAMS
>
>
> > Looking for a price on CAMS for the 1UZFE and if you know what kind of
> > increases in HP(KW) will I expect to see? estimates? Thanks
> >
Old 01-12-04, 10:33 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can get Crane Cams to do this as well, for less money. I have spoken to their R&D dept several times.

I believe you can also order the cams from Australia for less money, especially with the exchange rate, and they have already made the mild exhaust cams for Peter Scott. It seems that the exhaust cams would be a far better place to focus on that the intake for increased performance while still retaining excellent driveability, and keeping the ECU happy.

If JBrady is around, he has a lot of knowledge in this area, and can shed quite a bit of light on the subject. Peter Scott as well, if he has the time to comment.

Ryan
Old 01-13-04, 03:58 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

They replyed to me and said

"we have seen 70hp over stock cams on a stock engine with link engine
managment"

If this is true altstadt can your guys produce cams that can match there "proposed" numbers or better? ANd JBrady if you are around could you share your knowledge . With these(cams) and JBrady's headers, full exhaust and intake. Could this make the SC400 a 300rwhp car or really close? Just asking question

Anyway Later

Philly
Old 01-13-04, 05:14 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"link engine managment"

What do they mean by this? If they are referring to a whole aftermarket engine management system, this won't be cheap.

It also seems like they are making custom cams. I don't really think it's a good idea to do custom work with someone in another country.

If aldstadt can come through with crane, that will be the best solution.
Old 01-13-04, 05:58 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

what difference does it make if they are 2 or 2,000 miles away if they can provide a quality product. Not trying to be a smart a$$ either. Alstadt whats the situation with crane if you can share on the board without getting edited

Philly
Old 01-13-04, 08:19 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Guys:

All I did was contact Crane to see if they can custom weld and grind my existing cams. They could, and are willing to do so. They would perform to my spec request. To make cams, they would need to do 40 sets. I do not think that is going to happen.

As far as anyone getting 70 HP out of a set of cams, I highly doubt it. For one, if you make the cams to radical, the car will no longer be streetable and smooth, a trait most of us will not want. I believe a more realistic goal from cams for the 1UZ is 35 to 50 HP.

Altstadt
Old 01-14-04, 10:27 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

From the email you got, it doesn't seem like these cams are just plain bolt on. They are making custom cams. It's not like they have a couple hundred of them sitting on the shelf. Trust me, when you are doing custom work, you want your shop to be nearby (at least in the same country). There's no guarantee that they will work after first installation. They may need to be taken back to be regrinded.

If you want to be the test rat, go ahead. But keep in the back of your head that it will be a nightmare if anything goes wrong and you don't have a strong shop to help you. If the cams aren't ground properly, it's not something you're going to fix with some sandpaper. AUS is on the other side of the world. About a 6 to 8 hour time difference I believe so calling for support will be troublesome. Sending the cams back will probably take 2 days.

Take Tex's headers for example. The US spec and AUS spec 1uzfe sc400/soarer have been out for a little over 10 years now, but it wasn't until last fall that we discovered that the AUS spec 1uzfe soarer didn't have an egr port on its passenger side header.

If someone can convince Crane to work with the 1uzfe, that's the best option. They will be local which means a maximum of 3 hr time difference for many. They will have a US spec sc400 to work with. Crane also has a good reputation.

BUT ... there's no way we're going to find 40 buyers for cams here. Only about a dozen sc400 owners here have a torque converter. About 3 to 5 own headers. About 10 with some sort of computer modification.
Old 01-14-04, 12:00 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

You have convinced me verylost you have very good points Plus they told me that "link management" is like if your running an aftermarket computer setup, which i am not No point on stock engine. Anyway alstadt i guess your cams are out of the window also since you cant get 40 positive OK's. Man My simple power search is becoming frustrating Thanks for the responds verylost and alstadt

Later

Philly
Old 01-14-04, 12:12 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Philly:

Crane can weld and regrind your cams. They are quite good at it. You don't need me to get them to do that.

Altstadt
Old 01-14-04, 02:09 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

For how much alstadt? Have you done it yet? And what kind of numbers could I see from it? How long does the grinding process take? And does it alter that stock engine smoothness very much. I am interested if te price is right.

Philly
Old 01-14-04, 02:20 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Philly:

Since I do not represent Crane, nor do I resell anything for them, I cannot quote you a price. It would also be against CL rules, which I wholly respect. I suggest you contact them yourself, and see what you can arrange. In order to keep you from having to "re-invent the wheel with them, (I spent alot of time with them), PM me and I will discuss the details of my conversation with them to you.

Thanks,

Altstadt

Old 01-14-04, 02:26 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Alstadt,

I sent you a PM. I might have enough spare fun money to test what Crane has in mind.
Old 01-14-04, 02:43 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Very:

I replied to your PM. You need to understand, Crane will require you to provide them with the proper specs, and they will then do the work. If you want them to do the R&D, be prepared to shell out some serious bucks. R&D time is expensive. Find a good tuner/performance engine guy or gal that is familiar with the 1UZ, and work out the details with them first. Then have Crane perform their magic

Mifgt I suggest you go to Planet Soarer, and read the link Peter Scott put together on cams. Its a good read.

Altstadt
Old 01-20-04, 02:58 PM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I deal with Elgin for cam regrinds through the machine shop I use. They can pretty much take any cam and depending on your application, be it NA or FI they can custom grind them to the best potential they can be within stock shim availabilities. When they come back they would need to be shimmed correctly by the machine shop, but that's not a really big deal.
It runs about $260 or so for four cylinder engines like the MR2s so figure on doubling that amount for the v8. And they're in the US...
Old 01-20-04, 03:42 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

DO you own a SC400? If so have you had your cams done at this shop? Any numbers?

Philly

Quick Reply: 1uzfe Cams!!!!!!!!!