Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

6/21/2003 carson meet recap – the norcal way

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-03, 12:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default 6/21/2003 carson meet recap – the normal way

Well I started another thread since it’s not only about the meet, but also about our caravan and other stuff for the weekend. Before anything, I want to say that the trip down from norcal to Carson Toyota for the meet was so awesome. It’s a long drive in 2 days (700 miles round trip + all the chips and bug stains) but the fun of talking to each other, playing with all the cars, meeting with people, it’s just incredible.

So 6/21 midnight, all of us norcal guys gathered at denny’s at 101 and great America parkway. I think there were like 8 cars together. Since my car was in LA to install the UGO kit, I sat in rmmgs4’s car all the time to help take all the videos and pictures. Hopefully jawnthen would be able to make a cool video soon.

The cruise down was pretty good coz’ it was so late (early). It’s quite some scene with 8 cars all hid equipped running together, just like an train of HID, changing lanes one by one and stuff, pretty cool. Rmmgs4 and lex400sc both have V1, so they helped to catch all the cops along the way. Moreover, to make it easier for us to stick together, all of us were holding a walkie talkie and we kept on talking to each other about traffic ahead of us, behind us, etc… it really did miracle in holding so many cars together, trust me.

Since there weren’t that many cars on the way, it’s time to take our cars to the limit. Rmmgs4 (with me in the car) was leading all the way, and we punched the car all the way to 130mph when we hit the speed limiter (his car has lower speed limiter coz’ he has tc and lsd which changes the whole gearing). Cars at the back all pulled hard to 130+ and run together, someone even hit 140mph (that’s the top I believe), it was so much fun. All the other cars were scared to death and literally get to the side of the road to let us pass.

Around 5:30 we arrived in LA area, I got dropped off at my house down there to pick up my car, and we met up at Carson Toyota again for the meet. Well, things were all good, except the damn rain. I just couldn’t believe it was all good weather the week before, and the day after, but sat morning it rained like hell... it was plain no fun. Thank god the rain stopped at around noon time so everyone was able to go out and take a look at other cars.

I personally enjoy looking at cars more than taking pics so I don’t have a lot to show. Some of the highlights though (I didn’t bother looking at Toyotas at all though, coz’ I don’t know anything about them…)
rominl
exclusive matchup

1. well, of course, the norcal group. We stayed together, it was fun, had our own tent (thank god, otherwise the rain would have killed us), and people definitely saw our cars
2. the PLP supercharged is3. it was ok, for some reason it’s not as impressive as I thought, maybe I have seen quite a few boosted is3 before already. I paid quite a bit attention to the PLP stb though. It’s pretty ok, still very marginal clearance with the engine color. But for the price it’s a bit steep I think
3. XS engineering boosted is3 and gs3/4 (??). damn they are nice. They are probably two of the few cars at the meet that I really went WOW THIS IS NICE! The color on the is3 (green) was very nicely done I have to say. The wheels on the gs was sick too
4. I couldn’t believe I ran into socalsc4 with hid blue gs4 and 20” hre 841r!!!!! those rims look incredible in person, I was very impressed. Talked with him for a long while and it was a pure honor for me to meet with him I have to say
5. finally got a chance to see manaray’s sc4, it was good. I still have to say the color isn’t my favorite but the body kit does look good. Though I wish I was able to see the other set of rims manaray was planning for the sc4
6. saw Kirby of team hybrid and his white gs3 too. Awesome looking endless 6 pistons there, very nice. The blitz z1 are nice too
rominl
exclusive matchup

After the meet most of us norcal guys cruised to TM engineering, which is right off the corner from Carson Toyota. Todd is the guy who pretty much does all the mods on my cars and he’s a very nice guy. Actually Neo installed his flex and daizen sways at todd’s place the day before the meet, and another is300 member wasn’t having his flex installed during the meet too. Maybe they can chirp in with comments.

Anyway, after that I went home and basically collapsed, and so was the case for everyone else from what I know. Man it was tiring… but the next thing you know, Sunday around noon time we were heading back up already

The trip back up was a lot harder though, it’s day time, even more cops, and most of all, tons of idiots who don’t know how to drive, or they really dare to play with US -- yes, all 8 of us. These winners include a black Honda accord coupe, jeep, white bimmer wagon, bmw 330ci, and probably some others that I missed.

The accord was probably the most fun. We were all lined up in the fast lane one by one, and he just snap into the fast lane right in front of markmac without signaling. Man you should have seen how mad markmac was. So finally we all got in front of that accord again, and he decided to pull to the back. And I believe he got in front of Xerox and jawnthen too pissing them off. After a while that accord was trying to do about 100+ blowing by the slow lane….. well, he was happy for maybe 2 seconds, then markmac jumped to his butt and pulled all the way with the accord, with Xerox and jawnthen chasing down all the way. That accord was totally scared I tell you. Playing with us gs4 is no fun I warn ya.

So around 8 something 5 of us left (others parted away) and we had dinner together at Milpitas square. Everything was so nice and smooth, but obviously I was so tired to type up anything yesterday, let alone uploading pics.

So that was the trip, other norcal guys, feel free to chirp in with your own stories and this and that. It was so much fun, but thank god we only have to do this once a yr
Old 06-24-03, 12:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

here are some pics i took during the caravan back up north. it wasn't easy, my back hurts @_@

Last edited by rominl; 06-24-03 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-24-03, 12:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

this is socalsc4's car, very nice rims, awesome!

Old 06-24-03, 12:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i think this is a money shot

Old 06-24-03, 12:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i know it's a shame, but this is probably the car i want the most at the meet

Old 06-24-03, 02:48 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trip down

12am: Well we met at Denny's at midnight and a surprise visit from RedGS4 who was not going, but gave us a farewell visit. His wife just had a baby, so priorities were understood.

This drive was soooo satisfying. I had my EDFC and all Tom's braces just installed. The car was just soo ez to drive. We were on HWY 152 and I was doing over 100mph in some sweeping turns. Rominl and I didn't even know we were going that fast. The car was so stable controlled. It just didn't feel fast.

I drove HWY 152 many times in the day, but this was the first time at night. It felt like a video game. You know the old black and white one that just had glowing markers to outline the road and you just had to react fast enough to know which way to turn? I honestly could not tell whether the road was going to break left or right. If rominl was not with me (he's done a lot of night driving on 152 ) I would not of driven as fast. I put a little trust in him to be a reliable co-pilot.

Since I was in the lead most of the time it was real interesting to hear all the walkie talkie chatter from the cars behind me. Our own little gumball rally.

Lot's of funny comments going back and forth and sharing of the exhiliration of the speed and our views of the cars we just passed.

Talk about people getting out of our way. I guess the sight of 16 HID's blaring at you at a high rate of closure (130mph) is enough for any sane person to know that whatever it is coming, just get the hell out of the way !

I always slowed when I passed any traffic. I have a personal policy not to pass other vehicles much more than 20mph faster than they are going. Still, even though I slowed, I would still see some cars pull over out of my way and directly into the path of a slow moving 18 wheeler. I would even see them slam on their brakes. I still gave them plenty of room and time to change lane back in front of me , but no takers. I guess they were willing to take their chances with hitting the back end of a truck then to get punted from behind.

6:30am: After dropping off Rominl to pick up his car, the rest of us went over to Hermosa's parents house to wash our cars. We then head off to IHOP for breakfast around 7am.

At IHOP we parked our cars (as would be expected) away from the other cars and took a small hike in. As we entered and said dining for 10, the waitress immediately asked us if our cars were all Lexuses. I respond quickly to correct her and said that "yes those were Lexi (Pronounced Lex -eye).

8am: After eating, we headed over to Carson which was just minutes away. At that point we noticed a slight drizzle, but I thought nothing of it. As I rounded the first right hand corner I got on it a little hard and got sideways. Good thing I left VSC on. NEVER drive in the rain/wet without VSC on !

On the intersection just entering the 405 onramp we were now getting some rain. One last call out on the walkie talkies from Hermosa saying " Take it ez, it's a little slippery" . I followed up with a response "yeah guys, let's take it ez".

Well 30 seconds later the worst happened. We all were bunched up and the lanes were merging on the freeway onramp. An 18 wheeler appeared to be stopped in the turn and it looked like Hermosa was going around when the truck suddenly took off and blocked his way. I swerved to the right instead of merging with everyone, but up ahead, lexSC400 ran into the back of Xerox. I thought for a second, looks like maybe only a tap, but as he rolled forward, I saw broken glass on the road and thought Oh No, that hurt. Hermosa asked if we should all pull over, but we all seemed OK, "relatively". We drove another 5 minutes to Carson and stopped in line on 223rd and assessed the damage.

I'll let others get into the details of the accident and I know Jawnthen had the whole thing on video.

Poor Rich, he was obviously bummed for most of the meet.
Old 06-24-03, 02:57 AM
RMMGS4

Default The meet

We were some of the first cars there. Even ahead of some of the vendors.

The morning really SUCKED.

I was hoping that it would clear up, which it finally did.

I won't say too much except it was nice meeting old and new friends again. Lot's of kool carsand always good company.

It became very difficult for me to walk around and check everything out and still be near my car to catch all the people who were looking for me. I know I missed some good conversation from those I missed, but I did get some good ones with those that I did talk to.

This is a yearly ritual for me and it has a lot of sentimental value as well. You see when I went to the first Carson meet, I had just bought my Lexus in LA just 40 minutes before I drove into that meet. I had just flown down that morning to pick up my car and stopped by the meet before heading home the same day.

I met the CL founder Michael Kilty and Calvin " QbranchCars" , who took pics of my car and posted a small article in Overboost.com.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-24-03 at 03:34 AM.
Old 06-24-03, 03:33 AM
RMMGS4

Default The evening after

We went over to Todd's to wait for the completion of the Tein install in r.maestas car. It was a loooong day. Most of us had not slept for around 36 hours and we were totally out of it. We had some pizza and then BOOM , most of us conked out.

There were bodies all over TM engineering. It looked like one of Saddam's gas bombs had exploded in the area. Several bodies lay lifeless and didn't move whatsoever. One on the couch others slumpped in their cars looking like they were fatal accident victims.

We finally checked into the motel near 8pm. The TV was on, but no one was wiling to pick up the remote to surf to see if anything better was on. We ended up watching some mideval movie with castles and knights and *****. Never knew what the story was about. Later we got a call to see if we wanted to see a movie, no one had much for input. Everyone kind of layed there and said "uh, yeah I 'll go I guess, yeah whatever movie". We finally procrastinated so long that it was now too late to go to a movie. For sure if we went, there would of been 6 people sleeping before the end of the flick.

We finally decided on Denny's for a late snack. We met up with Ryan from Team SC3 and a couple of his members. Lot's of good conversation. We said our farewells around 11pm and went back to the hotel and crashed hard.

Some time during that evening I lost my cell phone. My only damage,and nothing compared to Rich's.

The next morning I got up around 8am cause the air con was blowing directly in my face. Everyone else stayed in bed till almost 11am.

We merged with Rominl, MarkMac and Jawnthen in Valencia for lunch.

The biggest surprise was that while driving down the road towards the freeway entrance we ran into no other than Synergy, another NorCal member who got married on the day of the meet and obviously couldn't make it. His family is from that area and it was a great coincedence for us to run into him on the road with his new bride. We rolled down the window and offered our congrats and moved on.

Hermosa was no where to be found until we were already leaving for home. I guess that gave him a good excuse to try and catch us going 120mph and passing people on the shoulder of the road ! ! He finally caught up with us at Harris Ranch, about 2 hours later.

Lots of stories on the way back, especially with the accord, the old man in a van and the white bimmer lady . I think I was the only one that actually didn't get successfully cut off. That lady in the bimmer had no business changing into my lane. She tried to pass on the right and merged into my lane while my front fender was just about to hit her driver door. I blared my horn which was probably physically 5 feet away from the drivers ear. No way did she have the clearance and I was probably 2 feet away from needing bodywork. done.

Rominl gave her the international signal and she backed off. I eventually let her by, though in retrospect, we should have blocked her for a hundred miles to put her in her place.

We gradually separated from xerox and MarkMac off of 152 exit and then Jawnthen off 101 and 880. The remaining 5 of us went out to a slightly expensive Thai restaurant in McCarthy Ranch. It probably hit Rich the most in the wallet, since he knew that his budget was shot with the pending cost of the accident yet to be realized.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-24-03 at 03:49 AM.
Old 06-24-03, 03:44 AM
RMMGS4

Default The Price of being a ClubLexus NORCAL member

Monitor , EDFC, XPEL, RADAR installs - hundreds of hours of personal sweat

Lost cell phone and hotel - $100

Participating in the meet - Free

Convoy down to LA and back with a bunch of new/old friends - Priceless

This was a great meet . Honestly, half the fun was the companionship and trip up n down. A lot of kool people to be around with. A LOTTA laughs, way more then I expected. The drive went by so fast because we kept each other company, talking most of the way. I finally gave up trying to play the radio or a DVD.

We gotta do this again next year for sure.

It was fun guys.

Glen

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-24-03 at 03:49 AM.
Old 06-24-03, 08:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: The evening after

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Rominl gave her the international signal and she backed off. I eventually let her by, though in retrospect, we should have blocked her for a hundred miles to put her in her place.
ok, i need to clear this up. she initiated the "signaling" first, which pissed the hell out of me, and that's why i returned the favor
Old 06-24-03, 09:58 AM
r.maestas
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Price of being a ClubLexus NORCAL member

Originally posted by RMMGS4
We gotta do this again next year for sure.

It was fun guys.

Glen
Glen...

what the heck...you mean we have to wait a full year before doing something like this again??? I hope not...the drive down was a blast!!!

I have to first of all thank you, Glen, for puttin the caravan together. It was so fun heading down there with you guys. Hermosa...FLAME ON!!! Rich...time for 'upgrades'...jawnthen thanks for bringin up the rear, markmac (and mike) djew guys are too funny, hope u had fun sat nite!!! Xerox...time for exhaust...blueIS, i still like that color!!! but i cant forget avamae...she is such a hottie!!! thanks for goin down there...TO LA...

Henry...thanks for hookin us up with Todd and Chris @ TM Engineering. They do quality work. work like that is hard to come by. You can actually tell they care about how good of a job they do.

Flipside909, and everyone @ Carson Toyota...thanks for the meet...organization was great, except the m3...UMMM HELLOOO!!! just kidding...competition gives us that extra push we sometimes need!!!

Ryan, hope to see you soon for a highway 9 to Santa Cruz drive!!! and check this out:

hopefully see you all soon...
later
rolo

Last edited by r.maestas; 06-25-03 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-24-03, 10:49 AM
MarkMacGS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!!!"

Oh man, I will never forget the sight of maybe a 3-foot burst of flame coming from Mike's car. That was way too cool.

So this was about as much fun as one can legally have, okay maybe the 130+ mph blasts were not exactly legal, but no one got hurt (much) and we all came back in one piece (well except for the pieces we left behind).

My buddy Mike and I got to Denny's before anyone else and it was right at 12 midnite. No one was there! We were like, "did they leave already?" "maybe it's the wrong Denny's". But dude the site of 3 GSs, 2 ISs and 1 SC rollin up in caravan was a site to see. After some quick introductions we were off!

You guys are right, the sight of multiple HIDs and yellow fogs bearing down on you is really intimidating. Well for you folks with EDFCs, TIENs, etc. etc. Highway 152 at over 100 mph was probably really fun for you. For us folks with measly L-Tuned and F/R STBs , or worse yet stock, it was a quite an adventure. It was the most intense, white-knuckle, surreal experience. Glen you are right, it was like a video game but the stakes for wiping out are pretty high. Crazy-man Rich LexSC400 passed me on the inside of a high-speed turn at probably 110.

So we get to LA and the weather is absolute crap. Thanks to Hermosa's and family for letting us clean the rides up. Hermosa's dad was up at 6am and moved the cars around just so we could pull up.But we are still in pretty high spirits going to breakfast at IHOP. Yeah, the was pretty cool parking the LEXI in front of IHOP. No one took a picture of that??

The show was cool..no import models but still cool to check out some rides. My favorites were the TTGS300, an all black IS300 from one of the sponsors, and the Toyota Baja Truck.

So Mike and I take off and go to a buddy's bachelor party in San Diego about 1pm. Sorry we couldn't hang out longer guys but just as I thought, there was traffic on I-5 heading to Daygo. We are bumper-to-bumper pretty much all the way to Oceanside. Mike's punkAzz suggests we take 78 over to the 15. Well at first he is like "oh yeah, straight through, no lights, get to 15 in 10 minutes". After about 45 minutes, 10 lights, one-lane winding roads, stuck behind minivans, RVs and freakin mopeds, we finally find our way to 15. Whew! So at this point we are still about 40 miles from Mission Valley where the hotel is at. We get to the hotel about 4pm and take a heavy duty nap until about 7pm. The bachelor party goes on as planned, nothing too freaky but see enough T-n-A to keep the adrenaline up. Otherwise, I would have fallen asleep right there in the middle of the party.

So we get about another 3 hours sleep cuz we have to get back to LA to meet up with our ladies for a meeting at Church at 9:30am. What a moral swing...strippers at nite, talking to my pastor in them morning. My fiance has the greatest news when we hook back up that morning. I'm gonna be a Dad! Oh man, our first!
Old 06-24-03, 10:55 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rominl, great pics.
I really like those wheels on Bobs car !!

Quick Reply: 6/21/2003 carson meet recap – the norcal way