NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Where to tap speaker wires for rear cargo amplified sub?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-19, 10:09 PM
KCNXF
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to tap speaker wires for rear cargo amplified sub?

Hey guys, new here first post. Bought a 16 f-sport a couple weeks ago and loving it!

I feel dumb but I swear I've searched and read and re-read so many threads, I think I may just be in info overloaded at this point. I do not recall ever seeing an actual reference to where to tap into speaker wires for an amplified sub installed in the back cargo area or possibly under the rear seat.

Can someone please tell me or show a picture of where I need to locate factory speaker wiring or connectors to tap for use on an amplified kicker HS8 hideaway sub? I am going to mount it either under the rear seat if it will fit, or in the cargo area if not. (I haven't decided which side if I go the cargo route. If one side or the other is preferred for ease of running wires etc, I would appreciate the opinions!). According to the instructions I need to be tapping directly off the factory speaker wires into the quick disconnect harness on the kicker unit. This will be high level inputs which I've never dealt with before so I want to get it right the first time! I'm hoping I can get to what I need somewhere in the back half of the vehicle as I would rather not have to run the 4 speaker wires from possibly the cargo area all the way to the dash behind the head unit. I know I have seen mention of tapping off the rear door speakers for this type of setup, but never exactly where to find the wires.

And finally:

After the kicker is up and running should I disconnect the factory sub in the hatch??

I appreciate any help you guys can provide. Seems to be a good forum you guys have, glad to be here!
Old 06-20-19, 08:41 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

For those with the premium /ML10 speaker system the amplifier is behind the right wall in the cargo area. Maybe the same if you have the 8 speaker system.
Old 06-20-19, 09:34 AM
KCNXF
10th Gear

Yes, my F-sport has the premium 10 speaker system in it. From all the posts I read I seem to remember that you want to tap the speaker wires before the factory amplifier?
Old 06-20-19, 12:53 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Depends on how you want to do it. You should have a clean signal before the amp, but you might have to filter it yourself.
If you take it after the amp, it might been run through a low pass filter. I'm not sure how advanced the premium sound is, haven't got that far with my own project yet.
Old 06-21-19, 10:02 AM
KCNXF
10th Gear

Alright, I have searched back through the forums and re-read every thread I could find and found the following info:

Apparently there are two types of head unit's on the NX. A pioneer and a fujitsu. Problem is I don't know what I have! My 16 F-Sport has the 10 speaker system in it, does that indicate which head unit I may have? From others experience if its the pioneer HU I need to tap the wiring AFTER the factory amp in the back cargo. If it's the Fujitsu I have to tap the wiring behind the head unit. I'd rather not pull all the rear cargo panels and trim if I actually needed to pull the dash to get behind the head unit. (or vice versa for the dash panels if need to tap behind the factory amp in the rear). Remember this is so I can use the high level inputs on the kicker hideaway, as it does not have RCA's.
Old 06-21-19, 12:14 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Then I'd suspect the Pioneer is for the premium sound and Fujitsu for the regular 8 speaker system. The HU could be driving the speakers on the lower system.
Old 06-21-19, 01:04 PM
KCNXF
10th Gear

Man I hope that's case! Everything I need could be accessed from the rear (excepts for the power/battery line) without having to pull the dash!

Can anyone confirm this is the case?
Old 06-21-19, 10:00 PM
KCNXF
10th Gear

Well I made some progress. I have the kicker hooked up temporarily for testing as I'm still not 100% on which wires I should be using for my HL inputs. I found this diagram:

nx200t amp connectors for rear speakers

Supposed to be the rear speaker pin outs from the factory amp connector. However none of the wire colors match mine at all. The "Sub" note is by me, as I read those were the correct pins for the factory sub.

So I made some test wires to probe the harness and found signal on 14/15 & 29/30 as shown in the diagram. Not sure if the pin location is correct regardless of wire color and I'm tapping the correct wires or if I'm tapping the front doors or dash or..? I did not get to check the sub pins yet as I ran out of time tonight.

probing the factory amp connector for signal

Unfortunately the signal sensor on the HL inputs of the kicker did not work and turn it on. Luckily though the skinny white wire in the other connector for the factory amp is the remote turn on. So I changed the setting to 12v on the kicker, connected a test wire to the blue remote wire on the kicker harness and then probed the skinny wire and it powered up.

It definitely comes on and works, but I only tested it for a couple minutes. I still hear the bass cutting out at louder volumes though seems like its throughout the whole system. Not sure if that is the factory door speakers or the factory sub, or if I'm not using the correct wires.. I dunno, I'll get back to it tomorrow and see what I can figure out.
Old 06-22-19, 03:06 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Why do you want to use the rear speaker output? They're probably cut by a high pass filter. Look for the sub output instead.
Old 06-22-19, 08:18 AM
KCNXF
10th Gear

Well I don’t have an answer for that, that is pretty much my whole question is where and what wires should I really be using to tap off of??

Ive read it both ways some say don’t use the sub use the rears other day use the sub. I dunno what the correct answer is!

Last edited by KCNXF; 06-22-19 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-22-19, 09:10 AM
mps2220
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe try the fronts, that would be pins 4,5 (L,R +) and 19,29 (L,R -). To my ear, the fronts had more low end than the rear doors.

Last edited by mps2220; 06-22-19 at 09:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NipponCDN (06-23-19)