2019 NX300 Fsport seats uncomfortable

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 12:44 AM
straka82
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 NX300 Fsport seats uncomfortable

Hi everyone,

I've had what I thought was my amazing 2019 ultrasonic blue NX series 2. Other then the enform which I finally figured out, I have to say the fsport seats are really bothersom. Particularly the bolstering on the left side digging into my left thigh. Not going to lie, I'm not a small and am very much overweight, 5-9, 295 pounds, and the pain is killer. Short of just losing weight (thanks in advance for those on here who feel the need to just call me fat and tell me to lose weight) I'm just curious as to whether or not the seats get better with use and maybe aren't so intrusive as they get sat in more. Thanks.
Old 06-04-19, 01:35 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by straka82
Hi everyone,

I've had what I thought was my amazing 2019 ultrasonic blue NX series 2. Other then the enform which I finally figured out, I have to say the fsport seats are really bothersom. Particularly the bolstering on the left side digging into my left thigh. Not going to lie, I'm not a small and am very much overweight, 5-9, 295 pounds, and the pain is killer. Short of just losing weight (thanks in advance for those on here who feel the need to just call me fat and tell me to lose weight) I'm just curious as to whether or not the seats get better with use and maybe aren't so intrusive as they get sat in more. Thanks.
Give it 6 weeks and they’ll be as soft as butter.
Old 06-04-19, 06:05 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I’m 6’ and 185 and they were uncomfortable for about 4 weeks. I thought I had made a mistake buying the vehicle but yes they did soften up after a few weeks.

I played around with the seating position a lot.

I do wish they were slightly wider but I like the bolstering.
Old 06-04-19, 10:01 AM
straka82
Driver School Candidate

I hope you're all right about them softening up, bruise on my thigh from that bolstering. Too nice a colour to give up on though, so its deal with the pain or go on a keto diet haha.
Old 06-06-19, 08:37 AM
gulshan
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

every problem has solutions. Options.. 1) seat swap with someone who has a base nx and wants your F sport seats 2) Trade in for base Nx 3) car cushion seats .. lookup on amazon.basically lower the seat as low as you can go then add seat cushions till you are basically over the part biting into your thigh (you will lose seat heating/coolin) 4) Get a quote from a professional auto interior shop that can mod your seat. Example in my area is Riggs brothers link is https://www.riggsbros.com/auto-truck...leather-seats/ 5) Treat this as a sign from above for you to lose weight and get on an aggressive weight loss regimen

Last edited by gulshan; 06-07-19 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-06-19, 10:35 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I seem to recall that other, smaller people have had issues with the F-Sport seats as well.
Old 06-06-19, 10:59 AM
straka82
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fredw1
I seem to recall that other, smaller people have had issues with the F-Sport seats as well.

Truth be told, definitely sign to get some exercise in, however I do find it softening up now and not nearly as intrusive. . In the end I find the seats to be narrower as compared to what I had in my IS, I'm sure they'll be fine.
Old 06-06-19, 07:22 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

the FSport bolsters were a deal killer for me and I got the regular NX. I'm not a large person and the seats are fine when seated, but they annoyed me as I got in and out.
Old 06-07-19, 06:24 AM
gulshan
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another option is to contact body shops who have connections with salvage shops. They maybe able to get you a good deal on a drivers side base nx seat with possibly the same color. Advantage of this route is you can put the original seat back when time to tradein/sell your car.
Old 06-07-19, 01:28 PM
straka82
Driver School Candidate

After another day of long commuting I have say the seat is a lot better now, no issues thankfully.
Old 07-13-20, 08:25 AM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry wrong thread .. I have a RX350

Last edited by exonw; 07-13-20 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-13-20, 07:15 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 271 Likes on 208 Posts

Yeah, the F Sport seats has the non-adjustable wrap side bolsters that's really uncomfortable. First, maybe they can make the seat side bolsters adjustable. There intention maybe to make is more sporty but it's just not a good design.
Old 08-31-20, 07:31 PM
skads187
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its odd, at first I wasnt looking for an F Sport specifically because of the seat design. When I tested used 2018's (I guess they have softened up), I honestly wasnt able to tell that much of a difference, and Im not skinny. However, I was jumping from a used 2018 F sport to a new NX. So maybe the new NX was slightly stiff? Either way, I guess the real test will come with day to day driving. but even when looking at pics and comparing, they are different, but yet somewhat similar, if that makes any sense ...
Old 08-28-22, 06:46 PM
jay350f
6th Gear

So I have been looking around for threads related to seat discomfort in the new RX350.

I just purchased a 2022 RX350 F-Sport and am quite unhappy about the seats. I love that they are ventilated as that is something that I wanted for this vehicle purchase, but the F-Sport seats are just terrible.

I'm 6' 205 lbs and am constantly dealing with my thighs being uncomfortable because the side bolsters are just too stiff. The design of the F-Sport seat is ultimately too narrow on the bottom and the bolsters force you to either keep your legs squeezed together or rest your legs over the thigh bolsters to spread out which is where the problem resides.

I also was not able to pick up on this during my test drive initially and I'm disappointed that I didn't because I came from a Tacoma that had a similar issue, the seat material was firm and the padding was also firm which created the same thigh pain during longer trips. It's something that I told myself I would look out for and somehow I overlooked it during the test drive, probably because I was tired and somewhat mesmerized by all of the other 'good' things that the RX350 does offer.

If I could do it all over, I would have tried to get the luxury package instead of the F-Sport but I do prefer the interior and exterior design of the F-Sport.. there's compromises to be made I suppose but the thigh bolsters are enough of a problem that I am contemplating taking the car to an upholster shop and asking if they can flatten out and change where the stitching is. It's not real leather in the F-Sport, it's (nu luxe) whatever that means and so I'm hoping we can find a solution but it's going to cost a good deal of money and that is a bummer when you think about how much you invested in the new vehicle and of course have buyers remorse when you think about the competition in this segment.

I also feel the 'egg' like portion of the seat that does seem to sit right in the middle rear section of the bottom portion drivers seat. I know this is going to annoy me over time, so now it's an ordeal.

With the side bolsters though, I really feel like Lexus has conflated the purpose of a crossover suv that is meant to be a "family" car. For the F-Sport at least, it's not fooling anyone of being a fast suv so why put such firm bolsters in the seats that you actually cause problem of comfort to the occupant? We're not going on the track, it doesn't need to feel like this..

From what I'm gathering, it seems that the issue really stems from the seam of bolster where they sew it together at the top. For both sides, this seam is incredibly rigid, almost like there's a coat hangar that is lining this portion and it does not have any give. The interior side of the bolster closest to the seat belt quite honestly has the rigidity and thickness of a firm piece of rubber, and to make it worse, the seat is designed so that it gets more narrow the closer to your but which makes it very uncomfortable.

Some people say they will break in, but with this new 'nu luxe' synthetic material, I find that unlikely and the bolsters would have to be folding flat for me to get any relief - this is essentially what I would ask the upholstery shop to do, take out the seam and pad them so they're more flat.

I'm using a foam seat cushion in the meantime, just ridiculous. Car has 1000 miles on it, and I'm already thinking of trading it in or just getting rid of it entirely. My exciting Lexus purchase has now turned into a search for an upholstery shop to create a more comfortable seat...
Old 08-28-22, 06:49 PM
jay350f
6th Gear

A fair warning for anyone looking to get the FSport. These seats are just too narrow for the average adult. What I have found is that the middle section of the seat gets smaller as it moves to the back which not only creates a smaller area for your hiney, but also creates a more narrow seat in general.

What frustrates me most, they have more room to work with you can see that they left out a significant amount of material that should have extended past the seat plastics on the sides but instead they chose not to fill the entire area with seat material. This is something I notice with Lexus but every German competitor fills the entire area with seat material until it's literally touching the center console. Not Lexus, there's a huge gap on both sides that just makes me realize that the Sport seat are not catered towards larger people. Really want to have the seats modified at this point.. I'm even thinking taking a heat gun an a roller to the bolsters to try and stretch the material manually.

Last edited by jay350f; 08-28-22 at 06:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 NX300 Fsport seats uncomfortable